Mafia [GAME OVER] KHV Royale Mafia

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Makaze, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Oh okay I won't feel as bad about it then. XD

2. C This silence is mine

You made the right choice, it was your biggest chance at success together.

Thanks for hosting, Akaz. I enjoyed it a lot.

3. 61 No. B

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

That was super fun. Would play again.

5. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I second that.

6. C This silence is mine

Why did I pick someone who was destined to die?

7. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I've been watching this thread and this seems like a riot.

If someone wants to explain to me how to play, I'd love to get in on the next game~

8. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Hey, anyone interested in seeing the chat between Mid and I? I can invite a few people if you're interested.

9. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

@Makaze is probably the best to explain but I think everything is covered in the opening post. Is there anything in particular you'd like clarification on?

10. Mish smiley day!

Let's have a looksee.

11. Karuta Reborn

Even though I died night 1, that was a lot of fun. Congrats to the winners. Looking forward to playing again when the time comes.

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

So, you pick an alias and that becomes a player name. No one knows it's you, just that it's one of the players. The other thing you pick is a character with the DM uses to gauge what kind of role and abilities to give you. Once the game opens, it's all about private chats and trying to gain as much info as possible so you can connect people to their aliases and figure out who to shoot.

Along the way, there were betrayals, alliances, an actual war, lies, etc.

It was ruthless and it was a blast.

13. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Every player who signs up gets a single shot each Night and a single bullet proof vest that disappears after you have been shot one time.

You send me an alias and a character name, and I give you a role, which is a profile of your character that has some abilities you might see in a Mafia game. What abilities you get is up to my discretion, but you can pick specific characters if you think it will get you a certain role, and I will take obvious choices into consideration. That role can range from a Doctor, who protects someone from all shot for one night (Midnight Star this game), a Double Shooter, who gets an extra shot each night (DigitalAtlas), to a High Priority shooter, who shoots before anyone else has acted, going through protection. Custom roles are also allowed. Nova had the Graverobber role, allowing him to use the abilities of the person he killed the previous night. Anything is possible.

All of the aliases get posted at the beginning of the game, but only you know which is yours. You can tell other people who you are or keep it a secret.

Your shots and abilities must target aliases instead of usernames. You have to find out who someone is if you want to kill them, and who they are not if you don't want to kill them. If someone wants your protection, they have to tell you who they are, but you don't have to tell them who you are (unless they might be shooting you). There are lots of dynamics because this is an information game as much as a trust game.

You may talk with anyone over Discord or Skype or PM or whatever you want, as they are alive and in the game. You add me to the chat for observation, and then you say whatever you want except for copy pasting from mod interactions, such as Role PM. You can trade role information, swap aliases, and plan the deaths of other players.

Each Night (48 hours in this game), you submit your ##Shot and any ##Abilities you have in the Role PM Private Conversation. At the end of the Night, I post who died and inform you of any changes to your BPVs (Bulletproof Vests) and if your actions were redirected or blocked, and then the next Night begins with no waiting.

There is almost nothing to see in the main thread because all of the action happens in individual chatrooms, where people are betraying people left and right, and they can't have it made public. It is a game you have to play to get, but once you do, you can't turn back from it.

14. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Makaze's Guide to Battle Royale Mafia

Welcome to Makaze's Guide to Battle Royale Mafia. I will cover how I gather information and control the game.

KEEP IN MIND: This is how I do things, and there are outstanding critiques. I almost never win, for one. There is no "correct" way to play Royale. It is, in essence, a joke game, and it doesn't always pay to be dangerous. I have been taken down by people who played opposite to me because that is just as valid a way to play. There really is no right way. Relax, have fun, and make it your own game, because this is the one game where you can do that, and it can actually make you win.

These are some tools you might use to hone your craft.

Getting Information

A lot of people rely on others for information gathering and ask them, "Got any info yet?". The problem is when everyone does this, no one has any info, and it ends up with everyone asking this in a circle for the first night.

When you do meet someone who has info, how do you think they got it, other than doing what you did? If you know how they did it, then you can it too, and cut out the middle man. You should strive to do this unless the middle man can be trusted, such a strong ally.

They sold out someone who told them directly.

Wrong.

It is extremely unusual that someone trusts you enough to give you info without considering you an ally. Someone does so. Do you go around offering their information to everyone? You would be a fool to sell out someone who is an asset to you. This should never happen unless you have an even stronger alliance with the person they are selling the info out to.

They lied to someone to get their info, then sold them out anyway.

Possible, but untrustworthy.

Someone manages to convince everyone to give them their info, promising an alliance, and still squanders that trust anyway. This happens when the person getting the info is lying about theirs, or when they do not need to worry about betrayal because of their role. In both cases, Christhor (C) did that in this game. He got all of the info without giving away anything by claiming different things to every person and causing confusion.

They may have a lot of info, but that does not mean they will give it to you, or that they won't be lying to you as well to get you to act how they want. This kind of person is always working something and lies with the truth as easily as just lies, and even if you think you can tell the difference, not everyone can, and he can make them kill you before it's too late.

If everyone did this, then even the one who did the lying would have inaccurate information. This strategy is not sound, and can only work for one game, if it doesn't get you killed.

They traded their own info for others' info.

Good, but risky.

You ask someone to swap your aliases and roles, and you keep your deal, each learning about the other. The implicit honesty of the exchange means you can make them game after game, so there are no drawbacks to individual exchanges. Lying will make people refuse to work with you in any game afterwards, and if you lie to different people, it can make you lose the current one as well. There is a longer game at stake, so you need to be honorable, at least when gaining information.

A lot of people avoid this with anyone but their close allies because giving out your own information presents a weakness. If the person you are asking gives out info to anyone who asks them "Got any info?", then you could end up having your info spread to everyone by trading with them. You lose control when you trade. The way around that is to establish specific boundaries before you trade. If you did this with everyone in the game, you would end up allied with everybody, and that would come back to bite you because everyone would figure it out, realize that you can't win by befriending everyone, and shoot you for fear of being the one you decide to betray.

On the other hand, many people have beaten me this way, because charisma is so strong of a force that it can overcome reason.

They deduced it.

The Makaze way.

None of these are truly good options because all of them lead to the conclusion of betrayal or limited information. Each one trades off something of your own to gather intel.

Deduction is the way out of trade offs.

Makaze's Method: Deducing Information

The most powerful force you can use to find out someone's alias is self-interest. Everyone has self-interest, and everyone will work towards it, or work to protect their friends.

"Don't Shoot"

You are the alias John Doe. Imagine if someone asked you the question,

"I am going to shoot John Doe. Is that alright?"

You do not know his/her alias, so you cannot stop them with a roleblocker. You have to say no, offer a better target (same as saying no), or find protection so that it doesn't matter if they shoot you. In almost all cases, you have to say no because you don't have a doctor on your side.

They now have a substantial clue to your alias, and will assume it is you until proven otherwise.

Your hard ally's alias is Jane. Imagine if they then asked you the question,

"Alright, I will shoot Jane then. Is that alright?"

And they asked your ally, too. You both say no. They deduce that you two are allied, that one is Jane, and that one is John Doe, in some order, without giving away anything about their own identity.

How does it work?

First, you trade with a few people. Get some alliances going, and then start to form suspicions based on who would have picked that alias. When you are really sure, put it on your list until only the ones you aren't sure about remain.
    1. Pick an alias you aren't sure about and the person you think is most likely to have it.
    2. Tell them you will shoot it and ask if that is alright.
      • If they say no:
        • Keep asking everyone until you find out if they are allied.
          1. If other people say no and you haven't already found their alias, then the alias you are seeking could either be them or the first person, and you have no way to tell. Ask them each about a different alias the second time to improve the chances of finding the other ally (see examples above). (Continued repetition can lead to completeness, but it becomes too obvious that you are bluffing, and bluffing isn't in this strategy. See teal below.)
          2. If no one else says no or if you already have the alias of the other person, then you know that the first person is the alias that said no by deduction. Add them to the list and go back to Step 1.
      • If they say yes:
        • Keep asking everyone until someone says no, or nothing can be found. Go back to Step 1 until every alias has been checked, or is dying.
    3. When you get down to a handful of aliases no one knows about, have them shot, and shoot the last alias you picked. Unless someone with a real reason to die comes up. Otherwise, stay the course.
    If someone asks you why you are shooting an alias, tell them the truth: because you don't know it. Eventually you will find one alias that everyone is okay with or the people it could be won't talk to you.

If everyone says it is fine, then shoot it.

This is the key. There is nothing they can do about it if you are not bluffing, and with this kind of strategy they know you aren't bluffing. Because shooting unknowns is how it works. They either help you find out who it is, or the person dies, and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

While this is one way to get aliases, any role information you get is outside of this strategy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017