Gay Love Songs?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Noroz, May 1, 2011.

1. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I started thinking about this, sort of out of nowhere I started to think about it.
    Has there ever been any big lovesongs where the singer sings to a person of the same gender?
    And NO I kissed a girl doesn't count.

I'm talking about lovesongs that specify the gender, as if a man should sing "I love him" or a girl would sing "I love her."

I can't think of any songs, and there are many famous gay artists out there. Is it solely because there are so many people in the society that wouldn't like the song? Would they distance themselves from the song, because the song would (technically) be gay?
    Seeing how much crappy music is made these days, where people don't care about the lyrics anymore, do you still think people would react to the lyrics if the lyrics were "gay"?
    I mean, many gay people sing lovesongs about the other gender (where they specify the other sex), do you think a song would crash and burn if it was a lovesong to a person of the same sex?

I'm straight myself, and I honestly think I'd feel awkward if I listened to a song where a guy sang to another guy, probably because I care a lot about the lyrics, and I don't have a problem with homosexuality, but still, I think I'd feel awkward.
    I'm guessing most guys wouldn't have a problem listening to a woman singing to another woman like that, but then I'll ask, how about a guy singing to a guy?

A couple of questions there. Now, discuss!

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

it's obvious that someone hasn't heard of a little musical called Rent. It's a very mature musical, but one that is very good when they get good actors/singers.

Now, I'm straight, and a Christian, but I absolutely love this musical. The basic story is about this group of friends, who are down on their luck, and you basically look at a year in their life. Besides some meaningful songs, there's a number of songs that's for the gay crowd.

Today 4 You -- Sung by Angel, a transvestite, about how she killed an Akita named Evita to get some money. She mentions how she met Tom Collins on the street. He refers to him as her "sweet" although, that's only a small part.

I'll Cover You -- Sung by Angel and Collins, they profess their love for each other.

Christmas Bells -- While there are a number of things that are going on in this song, there's a side story of Angel and Collins going shopping.

La Ve Boheme -- Another song where tons of things are going on. This is where the gay agenda is also big.

Take Me or Leave Me -- The lesbian, Moureen and Joanne, get in a fight.

I'll Cover You (Reprise) -- Sung by Collins at Angel's funeral, it's a goodbye message to his love.

3. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I actually completely forgot about Rent! I love that musical! That's an amazing musical, but it's still not only a song, the songs in rent are according to the story, but a "stand-alone" song, would that be received the same way?

4. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

Does all the things she said by T.a.T.u count?

5. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I guess, I thought about them, but there was a lot of turbulence revolving them if they were or not, but yeah, I guess TaTu in general used being lesbian to their advantage, because if I remember, that music video they were kissing? I might be wrong, but meh. But how about men though?

6. Daxa~ #stalker

Hmm..
    Well,weird as it may sound,the first one that springs to mind is Youve got a Friend in Me :/
    But honestly,especially in todays "popular" music,there are like no songs about people loving other people of the same gender,which I think is wrong.
    I mean,you hear all those politicains saying that everyone is more accepting of homosexuals in this day and age,but really,their not.
    Im "straight" or hetrosexual,but I dont see anything wrong,or unnatural about two people of the same gender loving each other.
    I mean,as long as their happy,right?
    Anyways,Ive kinda gone off topic....so no,theres not really any songs like that I can think of straight away.
    Sorry for the kinda rant :)

7. Doukuro Chaser

Ah, society's double standards. Such as most males find it "hot" if they see two girls kissing, and yet it two guys were to kiss or even hold hands they would be shunned. I really hate it.

As for love songs, I find that they are already slowly being introduced into society. Even some older songs could be thought as gay songs, but maybe only if you are looking for it.

Of course most would hate the songs, but there are plenty who would love them. That goes with all types of music and everything else.

And as society learns how to accept homosexuality they will learn how to accept gay love songs, even if they never listen to any.

8. Patman Bof

Well, I know that French song (be warned, the pictures are explicit) :
    [video=youtube;g-Mm4kwsWuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Mm4kwsWuc&feature=related[/video]
    Same song, same singer, in Spanish :
    [video=youtube;B-SKt4OPSsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-SKt4OPSsE&feature=related[/video]
    She doesn' t say "I love her", she sings about gay love (why shouldn' t we talk about it, as if there was anything to be ashamed of, etc ...)
    It was a pretty popular song here back in the days.
    I dunno, maybe the subject isn' t as taboo in Europe.

Yeah, I would have a hard time finding the same kind of song with men. Oh, wait ... :
    [video=youtube;fBSek9qTQhA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSek9qTQhA[/video]

9. The Fuk? Dead

People can't help what they like. Also, guys usually don't hate gay guys because they're homosexuals, they hate them because they'll watch things that girls do, go shopping, cry and write in diaries, things like that. Most guys think that isn't manly, and we love to pick on guys less manly than us. I'm the same way, except I don't give 'em a hard time about it, I just won't be friends with that person because I know we could never get along.

10. Misty gimme kiss

Well, a lot of love songs are pretty ambiguous--they don't necessarily specify if it is a male or female subject. Secondly, some singers sing in a different gender's perspective. One big example I can think of is Zac Pennington of Parenthetical Girls, he often sings from the perspective of a woman.

I'm sure that a lot of gay love songs exist and simply don't get popular, for whatever reason it may be.

As for whether people would react, yeah, most likely. There are always going to be people vehemently against gays. But I think the majority wouldn't mind much.

11. Doukuro Chaser

I never said they did not exist nor would be hard to find.

My apologies, I was simply speaking from experience. And I hate how that is; that whole "you're not manly if you show emotions" thing. Least most are like that. Definitely is strongly like that at my school.

12. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I think I agree that men see a negativity in famininity in men. Though I do think it's more than only it being like that, I think it's partly them freaking out about difference in general, and you have the paranoid state, along the lines of "He's gay, so he's gonna want to have sex with me even though I'm straight."

In other words; ignorance.

13. Patman Bof

I know, I should have mentioned that I edited the "oh wait" part, at first I wrote that to agree with you. The thing is that the masculine body itself is more taboo than the feminine one, we can see plenty of adds with nude women but I only remember one add showing a nude man (it was in the eighties). Let' s not even think about showing an erect penis or two men having sex.

14. Doukuro Chaser

Don't say anything too explicit...

Romans and Greeks had almost equally the same amount of nude males and females statues. And we learned a lot from them so I wonder why we cannot learn stuff like that... Either way, I would actually prefer not to see either. But if one is going to be around then the other should be as well. Anyway, we're getting off of topic here. This is about love songs so...

I have nothing more to say either way and sorry if I don't make too much sense.

15. Styx That's me inside your head.

No, they don't. The girls are married to men and have kids. They fooled us all.
    As for men... You'll notice that a lot of gay artists will write gender-neutral love songs in order to be more commercial.

16. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

There's a Finnish song by Jenni Vartiainen called Ihmisten Edessä.
    It's basically about a lesbian couple walking publicly hand in hand, not caring about what other people think.

I would've mentioned RENT, but that's already taken care of xD

17. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Which reminds me of the song "Married to Life" by Julia Marcell.

I always interpreted it that she is singing from the perspective of a man, but it technically could also be argued that it's depicting a lesbian relationship.

18. Bubble Master Califa Hollow Bastion Committee

Hmm it's hard to find I mean I love the scissor sisters (a band consisting of three gay men and a straight woman) but even the love ballads sung by the gay man are gender neutral; the closest they ever got to it was one sung called "Whole New Way" and that's just very cleverly describing the joys of **** sex without saying it directly (it can seem like a sweet love song on the surface; but its rude).

I do like a band called of Montreal and while the singer he is straight he does have a few songs that are about men but not so much romantic love. "Tim, I wish you were a girl" is like his platonic love for a man and wishing he was a girl so he could be physically attracted to him too. Also another song I forget the name of which celebrates how beautiful men in love are. I forget its name though.

I do know one genuine article. Linda perry, a famous songwriter/musician started a new band called Deep Dark Robot and she's the singer and the album is called "8 Songs about a girl" and in every song she's directly singing about this woman that sent her on a journey of love and heartache. From "Won't you be my girl" to "F**k you stupid b***h" it is the first commercially released album by a woman singing genuinely about a woman and not for thesbian entertainment purposes (like T.a.T.u were marketed by their manager as or that dreadful song by Katy Perry).

I perhaps have a couple of poetry pieces/song lyrics of my own writing which outright say "Him" "a man" etc. But actual published poems by a gay man specifying a gender are rare. W.H. Auden had a poem called "Stop the clocks" about a departed gay lover but he never said the gender outright.

It would stigmatize some fans and kill some popularity sadly because a lot of the public masses aren't gay and a lot of them are homophobic in one way or another (be it from beating up gay people or even claiming theres too many gay characters on tv and there is this "gay agenda"); whether they're aware of it or not.

19. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There are no such things as 'gay' love songs.
    There is no such thing as 'gay' love.
    There is just love and with that just love songs.

It is the same thing as saying lets go gay drive or something.

20. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I agree, but when I say "gay" I mean gender specified in a homosexual way - I did specify love songs, because they are exactly that, a song about love. It's not any less of a love song. The point though was that even though society (supposedly) "accepts" homosexuality they still don't accept it. But hey, its a hypocritical world we live in.

And gay drive, would that be driving on the "wrong" side? ("wrong" because its not wrong, but different)