Gay Love Songs?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Noroz, May 1, 2011.

1. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

I think any love song that doesn't mention gender could be a gay song, it's all about who's singing it and to whom.

2. Bubble Master Califa Hollow Bastion Committee

That is true but mostly gay performers keep their love songs ambiguous while heterosexual people sometimes specify gender. They can be ambiguous too but it's like they can be more direct while gay performers can't.

If a man sang about loving "him" or a girl honestly singing about loving "her" it does get stigmatized and not as easily accepted as a heterosexual love song, which is a shame.

I think it's ok to want to keep the gender mysterious but imagine if a singer originally made it clearly homosexual but then their producer/label flat out told them they had to change it or their career would nosedive and sink like a dead body. It'd be horrific because it is quite true; people don't mind homosexual singers but would they mind if they're directly saying who the gender of the song is about...

I remember a modern example of such. Adam Lambert.
    He released a song called "Fever" on his last album (written by Lady Gaga) and it did say "there he goes...my baby walks so slow" and is a little sexually suggestive but he said his label refused to release it as a single due to it directly being about men in lyrics. I also recall a music video for one of his songs "whattaya want from me" where he is addressing a lover (presumed to be the perspective of the camera) and because he's openly gay you know it's about a man but they had to keep it ambiguous for some reason (in an earlier music video "for your entertainment" he danced slightly suggestively with women to portray a different image). He did metaphorcally put a finger up to this thing when he did a live performance for a music award in 2009 and thrusted his hips on his male bassist. I don't think he ever apologized for it (and right he shouldn't; Rihanna has done dirtier with drake at the Grammys but didn't get complaints)

I don't know if that is more about the USA or worldwide but it sometimes seems like some people don't mind if an artist is gay but they don't want it said outright in song or video...(especially gay men over women...because lipstick lesbians can and have cashed in on the fetish some men have in that)