Gay Marriage: Should it be allowed

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Nuff' Said, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

This shouldn't even be a question: If there's one thing this world needs more than anything else its love and compassion, what with all the war, hate, greed, ignorance, etc., and I don't give a damn as to the gender of the people involved.

The Bible was inevitably going to be quoted, and I have this to say. As an atheist it matters little to me, but for those who do believe in a higher power (which is fine if that works for you), remember that it was written thousands of years ago by a civilisation that was very primitive compared to our own, both with technology and with beliefs about others. This was the age where woman and people of other races were treated as lower than dirt, so of course gay people would be treated in the same manner. Jesus tried to improve the situation, but he could really only say what he thought and hope that people would listen, which of course they didn't.

But the Old Testament was different. It was written by normal men- not God, not Jesus, but normal, predjudiced men with their own misconceptions about the world and tried to interpret what God had told them, and when writing a book that would hold sway over millions of people, of course they're going to add in things that suit them! The old testament also painted woman and other races in a horrible light (Walls of Jericho, Selling of the Daughters) and is very barbaric in comparisson to the New One, so what it says about homosexuality should be ignored completely.

But it does have one redeeming quality: Love thy Neighbour. The rest of the Bible is meaningless, this sums it up: Be compassionate and thoughtful of others feelings in everything you do, and everyone goes home smiling. And that includes gay people.

I am an Atheist, but I can see the merit of this (its common sense, really) and try to follow it as much as I can, and so can the Christians, and all the other religions, and the world would be a much nicer place.

Of course, that will never happen, because common sense is not very common.

2. childofturin Why?

The New Testament wasn't written by Jesus, either. Whether someone believes it to be divinely inspired or not, it was still written by human hands, and subject to human interpretations. I mean, who knows, they could have even... embellished a few details, to make it more palatable - like Jesus' birthday being December 25. The details mentioned in the Bible argue for a fall or spring birth, but the church chose that date so it would fall on a pagan holiday, and thus they could say that even these pagans worship on Christmas. Add 1800 years of hand-written translation and copying onto that, and the chance for error really piles up. So, whether it was divinely inspired or not, I have a strong belief that the original writings would differ greatly from what they are now. if someone wants to believe it, fine, but take all these points into account.

3. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

It also prevents the state from telling the church what to do. One of the many legal double-edged swords.

4. childofturin Why?

Yes it does. I was just pointing out that this means the church has no authority over legal marriages.

5. The Fuk? Dead

I think if being gay was all of a sudden "right" and being "straight" was "wrong", then all the people who were "straight" would maybe see what it was like. I honestly don't think it should be a problem and I'm a "straight" republican. I think the flamboyancy sometimes we could go without, but they should legalize gay marriage and ban the marriage tax.

I also think it is stupid that people that are married pay less taxes. Maybe there is a reason I haven't thought of yet, but who says you have to be with someone anyway? But back on subject...

I think gay marriage is somewhat a mix of church and state, because that's where the whole mentality of Anti-gay mostly comes from. And that violating the constitution of freedom of religion.

Point: It should be legal in every state. I don't think all 50 will decide to, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

(The reason for the quotes around straight, is because it sounds like people are saying normal, and fine, while being gay is "crooked" Like there's something messed up. Not everyone has the same politics, same personalities, same hobbies, etc. Why does everyone have to have the same sexuality?)

6. RoseRiku Moogle Assistant

Yes!

For one - if people happen to not like it for some reason, then they just shouldn't worry about it! It's none of their business.

For two - maybe STRAIGHT people should stop having GAY children if it's such a big deal! *sarcasm*

For three - Love is love. :3

For four - Axel and Roxas need to get married, don't they? Haha...

7. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

8. childofturin Why?

That's a very old custom in a large number of cultures. In some Native American cultures, someone who showed signs of being homosexual was put to a test, and if they showed the right signs of femininity, they lived their life as a "two-spirit". They, however, weren't persecuted. Two-spirits were said to have great power, in fact. Similar customs abound in ancient cultures around the world. When Christianity heard about it, I guess they associated "gay" with "pagan" with "devil-worship", and we're still cleaning up the mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.