Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by jiisan813, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

You're confusing it. Acting effimenate or 'camp' is not a homosexual trait, it is a stereotypical one of a homosexual man, but just because you are effiminate does not mean you're gay. I can act camp, but i'm not gay, just because you act a certain way doesn't mean you fit into a catergory like being a homosexual.

Like for women, the stereotype is that they are bad drivers. But that doesn't mean all women are bad drivers or that men aren't bad drivers. It's stereotypical to presume women are bad drivers, like it's stereotypical of a homosexual actig 'camp'.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

In regards to driving, I thought it was vice-versa because we men have to be macho, haha!

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

No problem. We all learn new and different stuff each day.

Just keep on topic guys, thanks.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

One of my best friends is a lesbian/bi-sexual (she hasn't decided yet) and so I am for it. Even as a Christian, I believe in a benevolent God who wants what is best for us- he wants us to love each other like we love ourselves. There are parts of the bible that say "If you lie with another man then bad stuff will happen to you" and all that but I never agreed with that. I suppose the view is one of traditional procreation but is that really the main reason for relationships now- God didn't create everyone fertile so not everyone is meant to have children- plus they are likely to adopt so orphans can have homes but that goes on regardless.

Why did God create these feelings if he didn't want something to become of them. I am straight but have had feelings like that in the past and I felt absolutely rotten simply because I thought I would be ostracized by my church and I hated that feeling- it destroyed me on the inside for a while. One thing I absolutely hate is Christians condemning homosexuals and saying things like "God hates you" when that isn't the message he wants sending out- it's the opposite- God loves you no matter what you are or what you do won't change that fact. We are supposed to be the ones to accept anyone no matter what (not exclusively though- there are many athiests/other religious people who agree with that) so Christians shouldn't go around saying what is right or wrong. The Bible may be the word of God but it's possible there could be misprint of the old fashioned kind or something along those lines- the role of the times was very traditional and homophobic so of course it'll be in the Bible but whether that is what God actually said is another matter all together.

I'm all for it, I hope it passes fully!

5. ai enma Moogle Assistant

I think woman and men who love each even if its the same sex should be able to get married. Love is love no matter what. I mean who are we to judge them?

6. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

When you come down to it, the only real argument people have against homosexuality is because of their religion, primarily Christianity.

I'd first like to know from any Christian in this thread that is against homsexuality/bisexuality: Why is humanity taking orders from a 2000 year old book and an "omnibenevolent" being who, despite his trait, allows thousands of innocent lives every year to die for some of the dumbest reasons you can conger up? Not to mention the multi-million casualties during major wars and diseases. What, your God is a police officer who we all know has the power to end crime, but gives absolutely no shits as a woman is stabbed to death in front of him? News flash: God is self-contradictory as well as a pretty huge *******, leading to the probable and realistic conclusion that he simply isn't there at all.

Now onto my argument:

People can do whatever. Despite the fact that it's not natural for a person to love their own gender, it happens anyways. I mean, there's skepticism between whether it's choice or a trait because you have psychologists on one end and statistics on the other. I personally think it's choice, but whatever, besides the point. If it's a trait, they can't help it. It's a disorder. It's like a mentally handicapped child; just because he's born different doesn't mean he should be denied of his rights. If it's choice, that's not wrong either. Love has proven to have such wide boundaries that you can't begin to limit it to a man and a woman. You can have a homosexual who is a good person; makes people laugh, helps out his community, just makes people feel good about themselves...yet is gay and people against it quite obviously don't care about what kind of person he is and will say "Nope, Bible denies it, you'll burn in hell for eternity."

And homosexuality doesn't harm you or society in any way. Some guy having sex with another guy isn't giving you cancer or anything. And the hetero to homo ratio isn't nearly large enough to deplete the population harmfully (I think it's like 2-4/100% in the US).

So it doesn't physically harm anyone...therefore, why is it immoral? Because you're stupid and you should feel stupid.

7. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

So, as a lot of fellow members know by now, I'm from 'The Great North.' ( It's really not that great. ) In November, we voted on the Marriage 1 Amendment. If it were to pass, than it would change the Minnesota constitution, making an amendment stating that it will be completely illegal for homosexual marriage. It did not pass. I will come right out and say that I voted no. I am a heterosexual-Christian, but I do not believe in stripping people of their equal rights. Recently, Minnesota passed a bill officially legalizing Gay Marriage in our state. I am very proud of this. However, it bodes a great deal of controversy now. The actual ability for gays to marry hasn't gone into affect just yet, but the mayors of both Minneapolis and St. Paul want gays to know just how welcome they are to marry here ( it was on the news this morning ). There are new chapels opening up and event planners preparing. One of the mayors ( I can't remember which ) even announced that he would personally marry gay couples in his city once the clock strikes 12:01 am on the morning of the first official day. I guess he has his Justice of the Peace license or something.

I understand that not everyone agrees with Gay Marriage, and that's totally fine. If you want to be against it than so be it, but I was on Facebook a little bit ago and saw this fresh post from my future sister-in-law and got very annoyed. You always see the same arguments over and over again for Anti-Gay Rights and it's really just tiresome. Instead of letting the post be commented on all Anti-Gay Marriage advocates, I decided to throw my two cents in. This is the post. I would love to see what people have to say, both for and against it. I didn't post this in the Debate Corner because it's not about debate. It's just strictly about how people feel on the matter.

8. Arch Mana Knight

But there's 50 other threads about gay marriage!

Seriously though, that's great news. I don't follow this enough to know how many states are left to legalize gay marriage but I'm guessing Minnesota's in the minority. To be honest, while it's a step forward, it's not the step that anyone is looking for. This needs to go over the the states' heads and go to Supreme Court already. Federal Law>State Law. Letting states decide takes too long. Oh well, one state at a time I guess.

Pro gay marriage yay. /HeterosexualCatholicphysicistTexanguypersonhere

9. Patman Bof

When we were teenagers my parents told us it was completely okay if we were or turned out to be homosexual, so my sister had little to fear when she eventually came out. In my country roughly half of the population is atheist and, up until not so long ago, I thought secularism was one of our strong point.

However, a few weeks ago, France passed a law legalizing gay marriage. The debate that arose when that law began to be discussed has divided the country, led to violent protests, and liberated homophobic speeches and acts. Although it has already been voted more anti gay marriage protests are to come and some sort of opposition in court has been planned.

I' m glad that it passed, but at the same time I didn' t expect that law to expose nearly as much latent hate in my compatriots hearts. Hell, it even made me realize my own familly isn' t exactly as tolerant it prides itself to be, not even my parents, they just never had any occasion to let the ugly stuff out up until now. So yeah, yay for the law, but what happened was also quite disheartening for me.

10. Hayabusa Venomous

I look forward to the day when it's no longer a big news event that people can marry whoever the hell they choose to marry. It really should have happened already by now. Still, glad to hear at least that another state's made the right choice on marriage equality.

11. Sara Tea Drinker

Being bi myself and having cheered when it's passed in my state, I'm thrilled it's passed there.

As for the "fear" of gays, a lot of it unfortunately goes to the church. Not all of it, mind you, my godmother is as catholic as you can be and she is the first one to hammer it home that gays needs as many rights as anyone else. Some people think of it as a disease that will spread or a "corruption" that will pass on to the next generation even through adoption. Hell, my dad was PISSED when he found out I was bi even though I had enough trauma in my life to go that way. I have heard of families kicking out the children who are gay and bi, though there's other families who kick their daughter/son out for having sex at all before marriage.

There's still a lot of people who unfortunately have not changed. They don't want to give rights to others because for them it means that they are equals in society. It's the same thing with women's rights and other things. Hell, my town is as conservative as it gets and pretends to act as if there's not a huge gay community a town over from where I live. It's not going to go away if you just pretend it doesn't exist.

My mom does believe in being gay, I think she changed her beliefs from it being a choice after I spoke to her about being bi myself. I think she doesn't care what orientation you are, but marriage for her was brutally hard. She's still getting over it, and she just sees marriage a lot of the time as something that will raise the divorce rate and other such things. Explaining giving them the same rights are hard for her to understand because my father and her husband didn't give a **** about her at all during their marriage. It's something I don't see changing, sadly.

I do agree, it should go to the Supreme Court, living in Maine where it took three or four tries to get it passed alone is a sign they should save government money and send it to the courts. Sadly I don't see it coming soon.

12. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

~Merged with a previously made Gay marriage thread. I understand the different slant but this is still basically on the same topic. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

I am for it completely. I think it's terrible that people condemn others when they are no better themselves (if you view everyone as a sinner) but I've pretty much said everything I wanted to say already in the previously made thread.

13. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

'Protect the sanctity of marriage' Now this is a common anti-gay argument people have used to keep gays from getting married. But let's not forget, one of the things we say when getting married is 'To death do us part' which means we have to stay married until one of us dies.... Now tell me how many people get a divorce for one reason or another. THIS IS HETEROSEXUALS GETTING DIVORCE.... So please tell me how gay marriage will harm the sanctity of marriage when hetrosexuals are already harming it.

14. vaporeon Merlin's Housekeeper

This is such a valid argument.
    I haven't heard a good reason for why it's still illegal in most parts of the U.S.
    It doesn't matter what your religion or spiritual beliefs are in this case because not everybody shares the same views.
    This is supposed to be a free country.
    Why are we putting limitations on things that are obviously justifiable by all means?
    Banning marriage between same-sex couples won't prevent homosexuality, so what are we even accomplishing by being unjust?
    Oh, that's right...nothing.
    Homosexuality has been around for years and years and years, even in animals.
    There's no "cure." It's not a choice.
    They can postpone legalizing same-sex marriage for as long as they want.
    It won't stop us from fighting for the rights we all deserve, and it certainly won't stop us from loving.

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

I think in some individuals it can be a choice. While, yes, your sexuality is usually determined by what genes you have when you're born, I believe it can also be a choice.

However, the whole "we need to cure homosexuals" is a bunch of bullshit. They have as much right to like the same sex as heterosexuals have the right to like the opposite sex.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013