god existing vs god not existing

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Nuff' Said, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

That's not what he said, he was talking about the evidence there is to say that there is no god, not about the lack of evidence for such an entity existing. Although there is quite a lot of evidence against and very little (if no) evidence for. The logical conclusion would be that god does not exist, although we will never know for sure.

Although it's near impossible to know anything "for sure", there are limits on knowledge that can never be passed.

2. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

What? Evidence against? Isn't it a scientific law that says that matters of God cannot be answered by science?

3. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Nope, that's a get out clause used by theists. I suppose by evidence against I should really say evidence against claims that he does exist.

"Real" evidence against would come in the form of making it impossible for such an entity to exist, of which there is some.

4. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Could I have some examples?

5. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Many of the claims in the Bible have been refuted. Of course, none spring to mind at the moment >_> Too much absinthe last night X_X

I'm sure someone else would be able to provide some =D

6. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

OH CLAIMS IN THE BIBLE... yes, bible stories... taken literally...

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

As soon as Christians stop using it as evidence for the existance of god we will stop taking it literally =/

8. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Good luck with that :lolface:

9. lexamus Twilight Town Denizen

God exists, I don't care what this "logic" says...its up to you to believe it or not

lol that was a funny joke but it will never happen.

10. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Case in point.

11. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

I don't know.... I believe in some Gods but not like 'The one and only God' thing.

e.g - The Sun God, Leto. The Sun is just a burning mass of hydrogen, NOT a God.
    e.g - The Moon Goddess, Rhiannon. I believe in her though. *mainly cuz that my name :D*

12. lexamus Twilight Town Denizen

I'm guessing the atheist's(or people who don't believe in god) goal is to make everyone NOT believe in god and for people to believe in science.

13. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Religion is a belief so its hard to counter it with logic. Its naturally illogical and in some ways contradictory. I pretty much think belief in God spawned from things that were difficult to explain a long time ago, and although we've come a long way, we havent fully explained everything yet. That and people cling to religion because it makes them feel secure and helps them through tough times. It's really up to each person. You can't really make a universal claim/sweeping statement.

But yeah, not a believer in God. Used to be though.

14. lexamus Twilight Town Denizen

I think this is the type of debate where no one wins. Believers in god will truly win when Judgement day or Apocalypse happens or if they die and see god or IDK.

and non-believers will truly win when there is good believeable evidence that links Big Bang and Creation of earth Strongly.

15. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

That won't win atheists anything but yeah. No one's winning this argument. I'm really just in it for shits and giggles.

16. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

And don't forget all your pets will be here when your gone, so they get to suffer with the rest of us.
    Isn't that great?
    :D

17. lexamus Twilight Town Denizen

well I'm not an atheists so I don't know what they want.
    what???? I'm srry but that was not funny....we will not enjoy Ur suffering...but it will just make us feel better XD JK JK

18. childofturin Why?

That's not my goal at all. My goal is to have people believe and accept the evidence for things like a 13 billion year old universe, a 4.5 billion year old Earth, and a 6 million year old human family tree. If you want to believe that God had a hand in all that, go right ahead.

19. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

ugh...

Atheism is not a religion. It means NO religion. That means they dont want jack ****. They dont believe in jack ****. Many simply do not care for religion. You can't "convert" into Atheism. Look things up dammit.

20. Repliku Chaser

Due to the fact, nearly every religion has an apocalyptic ending, including ones that predate Christianity, Judaism and Muslim, I don't think Christianity wins. Since Christians have gone through great efforts to vanquish other religious beliefs with hostile take overs, brain washing and other stuff, and even absorbed other people's holidays as their own, and called every other religion out there blasphemous and fraudulant (which also involved wiping out people of different beliefs in the Old Testament and after the New Testament), I would consider the winners, if a Judgment Day did happen to be anyone that's happy to say the world is over finally.

Also, from an anthropological point of view, the fact that people of varying societies all over the world have thought of the end of the world doesn't prove the existence of one deity. It shows that people are scared of death and the worst thing that could happen to us all is an end to the world where not even offspring would survive. Is it possible? Considering we now have enough nukes on the world to destroy it several times over, sure thing. If such a travesty happened by human hands, it would not be the doing of a deity though. With how things are going, the changes in the earth can be accounted for by science, so if the world is destroyed, Christians will be saying it's the end by religion while others will be saying 'we should have been smarter and tried to prevent more sooner because we knew it would lead to this'.

This is the view of most atheists. We're tired of being told we're blasphemers, idiots, etc. I used to believe in Christianity until I actually read the Bible and many other religious books through and discerned too many things that were contradictory. Also, I found it to be a book that simply put, scared and horrified me more than Edgar Allan Poe's stories I was reading around the same time at 12 years old. I have nothing wrong with anyone believing in any religion at all until they choose to live in a world of delusion and not accept reality at all.
    - When gay people stop dying and are not denied their rights to live as people equal to others, a religious person is a-ok to me. Those who view it as wrong, are cool with me.
    - When religious zealots stop trying to take out science from schools so kids can be stupid and under-educated, and stop trying to force science to teach religion views, I will be happy and any Christian who actually won't boo the science guy Bill Nye off a podium because he says the moon is not generating its own light but reflects it from the sun, is a-ok to me. Those who do, should be psychologically evaluated or just considered too stupid to be taken serious. When religious people are ok with a world religious class that teaches of all religions to include the Christian beliefs of Creationism along with the Hindu ideals etc, and show tolerance of other beliefs, instead of trying to force Creationism in -science-, I will be pleased.
    - When women are treated as equals and can wear what the hell they want to and in a court of law, because of religious morons, rape won't be considered justified.
    - When some religious people stop either taking the Bible too literal to justify themselves or they take only parts of the Bible to live by but yet can condemn others who don't believe in it, I again will be a happy atheist because Christians won't be judging each other so awfully, let alone others.
    - When courts and law reflect off commonsense, decency, benevolence and justice instead of religious views, again, I will be happy as an Atheist.

Really, in the end, I could care less what people believe -unless- it does harm to other people. There are Christians out there that try to make people follow things blindly while being hypocritical themselves (Ted Haggard anyone?). There are religious people who steal money for various things other than assisting people and try to say Atheists don't give to others and I'm sorry, but we do and we know damned well where our money goes to. There are religious people that do missionary work and expect in return those people they assist will value their religious beliefs instead of the act of benevolence shown, which means help comes at a cost of losing your cultural ethnic background. There are kids who are told to walk away from science because it is evil and teaches kids to not believe in God. Science can refute the Bible. It cannot really refute the existence of deities outside of existence. You can believe in God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster and without proof of existence or lack of it, we get nowhere.

Quite a few Christian groups have even learned to be more tolerant and accepting of others, as well as to stop being so dogmatic where it will sever people's relationships with others. However, I am against the Christianity movement out there, especially lately Evangelical Protestants, that have attempted to thwart humanity from progression, harmed and/or killed people who don't fit in to include stupid exorcisms, scarring children for life, motivating those who don't fit in to commit suicide, and try to make people into virtual 'yes men' that will do whatever some book tells them, to include judging others for differences when our own very planet can show rationale behind those differences when gazed at through an open mind. The Christians who actually -do- practice that they will not 'judge thine fellow man', 'the glass house philosophy' and 'do unto others as you would have done unto you' are not the people who are harmful in my eyes. However, they also are not out there speaking against what other militant believers in Christianity are doing so until they do, consider it that Atheists (who are not religious) and others of varying religions have no choice but to. If 'good' Christians get caught between it, you are misunderstanding the intentions of Atheists on the whole. We're not out to demolish religion or say all Christians are bad oppressors etc. We'd just appreciate it if Christians would stop thinking on the whole that the words 'good' and Christian go together all the time, while Atheist + evil satanic destroyer of religion' go together or 'insert any religion other than Christianity here' + fake belief, idiot misled person' go together.

And the last thing that I wish would end. The martyr complex that some Christians have must freaking die. They have absolutely -no- right to toss out the martyr card at all when Christianity is the #1 religion in the world. Martyrs would be the underdogs. Christians are -not- Jesus, who had the odds against him. End of story.

And of course, this debate thread is well, pointless, other than it helps to let people voice opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.