Full Chorus: Happy Birthday [KHV Chorus]

Discussion in 'KHV Chorus' started by Jayn, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayn

Happy Birthday!

Notes;

Just post here if you're going to join.
    You'll have to depend entirely on the reference, for this one. There aren't many decent instrumentals, and it's more personal this way. Just have fun. ...No, really. This is just a little something we can send KHV people on their birthdays, so if you want to say something at the end like, "derp, happy birthday! have an awesome one." or something, you can.
    No lines/slots. Just join, send your crap (sing the whole song), and there you go.
    Your lines are due BEFORE the listed date. If you have to drop out, drop out TWO DAYS prior at the latest. This is a new requirement. I'm tired of late minute drop outs. Please help me out by giving me enough time to work with your dropping out, if you must do so.

What is this?

It's just a collaboration type musical thingy with KHV members. Anyone can join. ANYONE. All you have to do is post the lines you want, record them, and send them to me on time.

If you weren't in the previous choruses, I need you to find a picture for me to edit for you. High quality anime pictures can be found here: http://www.zerochan.net

It doesn't have to be anime, it can be anything. It just has to be HIGH quality, and LARGE enough for me to work with. Not giant. But a nice size. Bigger than our avatars. Once you turn in a suitable picture, you'll never have to again unless you want to for future chorus stuff.

So yeah, if you want to find another picture for me even if I have one, let me know. Otherwiseeee, for anyone who -hasn't- given me a picture yet at all, please do so.

There are no auditions, no microphone restrictions. It doesn't matter if you think you're an amazing singer, or if your mic is fuzzy, all I ask if that you have fun with it and turn your parts in!

The Song?

Sing with me, kids. Same key/tune, tempo. xD Practice makes perfect. Line it up.~
    http://www.box.com/s/qne9qgvzqvffdndeqk81

How to Record.

For those of you who aren't sure how to go about recording yourself singing it, there are several different programs you can use. Audacity is a free program. I use Reaper, which is also free for evaluation.

What I'd like to ask if that you sing along with the instrumental/main track for timing, but your finished track not have the instrumental. For example, if you make two different tracks in a program, and record yourself singing on one track and have the instrumental on another track or playing on youtube or something while you sing your part, when you send it to me I would like to just hear your voice and not the instrumental. It is MUCH better for you to be too quiet than too loud. If you're quiet, I can turn your volume up. If you're too loud and your mic peaks, I have to turn your volume way dowwwn.

You can sing along with the instrumental, and it's okay if the instrumental/main song is heard faintly in your recording, so long as it doesn't overpower you. For those of you who decide to use Reaper, I can show you a detailed tutorial on how to do it.

Here's an Audacity tutorial written by P for Mulan, but whatever;

How to Use Audacity

Getting the Stuff

Go here and download the version for your computer. (Use the 1.3 series.) Install it in the manner appropriate for your OS.

Go here to download and save the Mulan instrumental to somewhere on your computer. (Or whatever instrumental you may be using.)

Opening the Instrumental

Open Audacity. You'll should see this.

Open the Mulan instrumental with Audacity. In a Mac, it's File>Open. Navigate to where you saved the Mulan instrumental, and open it.

You should now see this. There are two tracks, for the two stereo tracks.

Recording

Open the Audacity preferences and look under the 'Recording' tab for the Overdub option. Make sure it is ticked, so you can hear the instrumental as you record. Mine looks like this, but yours may be slightly different.

Press the red button up top. A new track will begin to record, as can be seen here

Listen through the instrumental until you get to the part with the lines you need to sing, at which point, sing them. When the song is finished, press the yellow, square stop button. You should end up with something like this.

Fixing Errors

Of course, you'll probably screw up somewhere. That's why you can do it multiple times. Click mute on the mistake'd track, as in here. Next, click before the area where you made a mistake and press the record button. You can now sing the part again. When you're done, press the stop button. You'll end up with this. You can do this procedure as many times as needed, until all lines are correct on at least one track.

Editing

Now we have to delete everything except the lines you're gonna use. (You can now unmute any muted tracks.) We want to use the Split Delete tool. You do this by selecting the unwanted lines, as in here, and using Split Delete on it. On a Mac, the shortcut for it is Option+Command+K, but on a PC, at a guess, it would be Alt+Control+K. It will yield this result.

Continue doing this until you've only got your lines left. Mine looks like this.

Now we remove the instrumental track too, by pressing the X on the top-left of those two tracks. We're left with this.

Sending to Jayn

Now the hard work is done, we just need to export it. Go File>Export, and choose where to save the file. Make sure it is in WAV format. It'll look somewhat like this.

Ignore this metadata thing that pops up. Just hit 'OK'. Likewise, hit OK on the Mono Channel warning.

You're done! Now go and upload your file to some filehost, or email it to Jayn.

Rules?

• Have fun!
    • Send your lines to klairecross@gmail.com in MP3 or WAV format OR provide a download link for me in this thread, PM or VM.
    • You may have FOUR parts (FOUR lines), and a maximum of FOUR people can sing one part together--EXCEPT for the lines in [brackets]. Those are solos, so only one person can claim those. This rule may be changed depending on how many people are interested.
    • These Kawaii Desu things here --> { ♥ } <-- are for duets. Only TWO people can claim those.
    • The lines in black should be recorded by everyone.
    • First come first serve for lines, but the deadline is January 28th (loosely set, no big deal. Just opening to as many members as possible.). That means turn in your lines BEFORE then.
    • Once a line is striked out, it means it's not available anymore.
    • Please RESERVE your lines before you record. You can post here with what lines (FOUR max, but not three solo parts) you want. I will update the thread with who's singing what part, and what lines are all reserved out.
    • When you send your lines to me, you can either have your lines timed to the instrumental in ONE long file !TIMED TO THE INSTRUMENTAL!, or you can record all of your lines separately and send them to me that way in a ZIP or RAR file.
    • Once again...TIME your vocals. Sing to the TIMING of the song. Sing to the song.
    • Remember that I don't actually want to hear the song behind your vocals. If you sing along, wear headphones so your mic doesn't pick it up OR have the song really low while you record. If I hear it, the audience will too and that makes it sound bad.
    • Please help fill out the song. If you have the time, please pick four parts. REMEMBER to record the BLACK LINES. Otherwise, when the chorus sings together, your voice will not be included.
    • Anyone can sing the black lines, but I'm less likely to fit you into the video if the only thing you sang were the black lines. (When it's much harder to fit everyone in to begin with.)

Lyrics/Parts:

Black Lines = EVERYONE records that part.
    { ♥ } = Duets. TWO people can claim that part online.
    [ ... ] = Solos. ONE person can claim that. Only ONE solo per singer. This MAY change depending on how many people join.
    ♂ = Male
    ♀ = Female
    // = Anyone can sing/optional.

Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday dear Member,
    Happy Birthday to you.

(adlibs everywhere, feel good happy things here, birthday wishes...)

Lines In (Contributing)
    * = Lines actually recorded and in.

*Jayn
    *Fuzzy Blue Lights
    *Smurfasaurus
    *Esther
    *Excasr
    *Tummer
    *Mish
    *Fearless
    *Heart
    *Cookiie
    *What?
    *KH2man13
    *AndrewTemari101
    *Midnight Star
    *nickoboyzx
    *Nights
    *Atiragrame
    *greater_bloo

Mixing Progress.

> Jayn, Smurfasaurus, Excasr, Heart, Cookiie, Andrew and Nickoboyzx are mixed. 1/20/

Video Progress

Pictures Needed From...

N|A

2. Glen Returned from the dead

I'll record for this tomorrow. Should be interesting.

The lines i'd like are these:

Happy birthday to you,
    happy birthday to you,
    happy birthday dear member,
    happy birthday to you.

But seriously i'll send them in to you tomorrow.

3. MsEstherMaria Merlin's Housekeeper

I'll send my lines (song) as soon as I can Jayn!!!!
    This will be funny to record!!!!

4. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

LOL
    Everyone records everything. I will enjoy this.

It's too Iate, will send the lines tomorrow.

5. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Haha; this will be fun.

I'd like to join in please.

6. Mish smiley day!

My birthday is in 2 weeks, 5 days.

Just so you knoooow~ P:

I'll send my lines in tomorrow also.

7. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I'm in, bro. B|
    Probably not sending in lines this week, though. Still getting used to my new schedule and whatnot.

8. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I would like to be in this too! I just need to record when I get home from school...

9. Cookiie Traverse Town Homebody

Ahaa I'll do this :3
    I'll get my lines in either today or tomorrow

10. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Submitting self into this! With exams complete I now have enough time to submit lines quickly.

11. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

12. Cookiie Traverse Town Homebody

13. KH2man13 Gummi Ship Junkie

Sign me up!

14. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

Sign me up please~ <3

15. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

16. nickoboyzx Gummi Ship Junkie

cool,a birthday song
    may i join?
    it look kind a fun
    but how to sign up anyway?

17. Jayn

No need to officially sign up anywhere but here. :)
    All you have to do is sing the song that's mentioned in the first post and send it to me at Klairecross@gmail.com .
    Also, send me a picture from zerochan.net, or somewhere else like it, bigger than our avatars.

18. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'll be doing this when I get chance.

19. nickoboyzx Gummi Ship Junkie

ok, as you ask, here as the lines http://www.mediafire.com/?f4sk5xw3dyzsi6m
    and here as the pic : http://www.zerochan.net/954887
    my voice sure looks terrible :xp:

20. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

You're going to join us? :=D:
    I'm really looking forward for this!!!

We don't care if your voice is great or not. We're just very Happy that you're with us. =D
    Be sure to have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.