Support Having trouble reading disks

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So I'm having a really interesting problem with my Legend of Dragoon game, and I'd really like to see if you guys would be able to help. And I've tried googling this too with no luck, which is why I'm posting this here.

But the problem I'm having right now is that my PS2 isn't reading the Disk 1 of Legend of Dragoon. And yes, the thing is 8 years old, but the weird thing is that it won't read disk 1 when I put it in, and yet when I put in nay of the other 3 disks it'll read them, and if I go to the next part in the story, it'll have me put in Disk 1 and read it perfectly fine. But for some reason it always says "The game disk could not be read" when I pop it in and turn on the system. And it's only this disk, so I was hoping someone could help me with this

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

It's possible either the disc or your PS2 needs to be cleaned. I had to get my discs cleaned a few times.

3. Patman Bof

The CD worked just fine before and your console doesn' t have any problem running other CDs, so I assume it' s because of a scratch. One that is on the start up data, so probably near the external border (?).

Whichever scratch it is, it wouldn' t hurt to address all the nasty ones. By nasty I mean the ones that don' t go from the center of the disk towards the exterior (those are usually inconsequential, unless they' re really deep).

Try cleaning the disk, with vertical motions (starting from the center and going towards the exterior, so that if you scratch the disk even more in the process you only add inconsequential scratches). If that won' t cut it you have two options :

- Try to find a store/somebody that has CD repairer/cleaner.
    - Try one of the various methods shown on youtube (the toothpaste, banana peel etc ...). Just know that they' re all bets, you' d probably just screw your CD even more.

Alternatively, if your PS2 is a slim, you could use the swap method to boot the console with CD 3 then swap it with CD 1. Might work if the game data isn' t part of the problem. However it damages the console if you do it often and/or badly, and you' ll need several tries to get the timing right if you' ve never done it before.

4. Iskandar King of Conquerors

The swap is what I'm having to do right now, because like I said, I'll put in a later disk, go to an area for story, it says to put in disk 1, I put it in, and it works fine

5. Patman Bof

I meant swapping the CDs when you' re not meant to, while they' re being read, by fooling the console into thinking the CD player is closed although it' s not. That' s what I did when I ran copied or foreign games on my PS1 : boot the console with an official european game long enough to pass all the security tests, and swap with the game I wanted to play at the exact moments (plural) the console read the actual game data. It starts by reading the security data, reads the game data for a bit, gets back to the security data then launches the game for good. No game genie, no hack, just nicely timed swaps.

I assumed your problem was that the first CD was the only one who would let you pick "new game". But now that I think about it, does that game have a soft reset like most SE games (L1+L2+R1+R2+start+select) ? If it does then you could load a CD3 file, get to the part that tells you to insert CD1, do so and soft reset.

6. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well the thing with legend of dragoon is that all of the CDs have the same map, so that works fine, but once you actually go into a specific part of the game that belongs on another disk, it'll stop reading the disk and ask you to switch to the correct disk. I just wish I knew why it reads it fine like that, but when I pop it in it'll say the disk can't be read. I mean, obviously somehow it's being read with swapping it in, but not alone. It's just strange

7. Karuta Reborn

Probably this:
    If so there's not a whole lot you can do except try and repair the disc, which doesn't work very often (for me anyway).