I am still kinda working on my drawing skills

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Aelin, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Aelin Best Waifu

So yeah I know some of the proportions are off a but, I am still kind of learning how to get better at drawing, I don't do it too often but yeah here are a few things I am kind of proud of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

Your stitch and dragon sketch is really good. I can't really see the Phoenix all too well, so I can't comment on that. However, from the looks of it, you're nearly at the turning point in your sketching ability! So don't stop! It's like watching a Charmander at lvl 15. and it just needs that little push in exp to lvl up to 16. and initiate the evolve sequence! You're almost a charmeleon!!! lol

3. Explode Who?!

I definitely think Stitch is the best one. The linework is nice and loose, which the other ones are kind of lacking. It's something that I struggled with for several years. Where you press really hard with the pencil, as if that's the only chance you get to make the line. It seems counterintuitive, but when you press hard for a crisp, precise line, it usually ends up being a squiggly mess that's hard to erase. Most things have complex edges which is hard to get right in one try, so a series of soft, small strokes is usually the way to go. You can always darken it later, and even then don't feel pressured to get it in a single stroke. When you see pictures that are traced, even if the shapes are accurate, a lot of the time it will still look static and weird, because the artist tried too hard to get the lines exactly right, instead of getting the essence of the subject. When you treat every line as if it has equal importance, it could look end up looking lifeless.

The dragon's proportions look pretty good, but the details get a little muddy. Clean up the lines on the metallic parts, and try to keep them as simple as possible. Organic shapes it's a little easier to get away with stuff, but this kind of detail work is tricky and needs to be on point to sell it. Adding some shading to the metal can help you define the individual pieces, by creating shadows between where they overlap. It's easy to get lost when you have dozens of parts in a small area, so that will help ground you.

It's good work. The forms are there, but the lines need a little more attention. As an example, note how much darker the line going across Simba's paw is to the lines defining his head. Those should probably be reversed. And they get a bit messy in places. I've grown fond of using mechanical pencils for sketching, so you don't have to worry about a dull edge ruining your drawing.