IGN Trashes Kingdom Hearts (Sort Of)

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Amidst all the exciting Dream Drop Distance news, we get this gem from IGN:
    You can read the full article by clicking here.

IGN brings up some valid points in their article, citing how the story has become over complicated, the Disney worlds can get dull, and being scattered all over the console & handheld market has not helped the series at all. Still, I think they're a bit critical, personally--the Disney worlds are also a nice throwback to many of our childhoods, and the story can make sense if you pay attention. But what do you guys think? Has the Kingdom Hearts series been waning over the years, or is it continuing as strong as ever?

Let us know your thoughts!

Thanks to forum member exile0025 for bringing up the article.

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Krowley
      Krowley
      "Wonderland, pouty boys, and other crap that needs to go."

I can somewhat relate.
      Many KH Elements work, but there is room for improvement.
      Since the only new worlds have only come from Kingdom hearts 1 and 2, and BBS I can see why the series is losing credibility.
      Dream, Drop, Distance will hopefully add the necessary boost this franchise needs.
    2. Llave
      Llave
      I can see both sides of this. On one hand, their opinion isn't entirely far out. It is true that the story of Kingdom Hearts isn't very in depth, and the platform jumping is very irritating. But to the fans, it brings the nostalgia of Disney, Final Fantasy, and a Japanese approach to RPGs. If you actually look deeper into the story, it does get better. Such as the Terra, Aqua, and Ventus parts of the story are really interesting along with the Organization.
    3. Keyblade Heroine
      Keyblade Heroine
      *gasp* O____O

Nobody insults my favorite video game without going through me! >:P
      Kingdom Hearts is perfect and awesome the way it is. I don't care about what anybody thinks of all the spin-offs and system jumping. Accept it as it is or don't play. I'm fine with it and Kingdom Hearts has never let me down. X3

Kingdom Hearts forever!!! <3
    4. Baxby
      Baxby
      There are countless things I disagree with here. But this is pretty much an article of negative opinions. But, I must agree with a couple of things as well: I'm tired of them putting games on new expensive consoles instead of sticking with the PS2. Also, I'd like to see PIXAR worlds in the series, but something like a Monsters Inc world instead of Toy Story.

Still, every Kingdom Hearts fan and non-fan probably disagree with another about something. This article just has multiple points many of us disagree with xD
    5. NemesisPrime
      NemesisPrime
      I don't the story's overcomplicated you just need to pay attention.

I hate having to buy a brand new system but because I'm a die-hard fan I'll buy it regardless. To quote a video I saw: "Stick to one gender."

Call me shallow but I liked how Sora and friends interacted with the worlds and if slightly changed the story. It's Disney, take what you can get.

I'm not gonna lie I'm probily looking at this through rose-tinted glasses so all I'm saying is I've been happy with what I've gotten and enjoyed the story immensely but I do wish they would include more characters from later FF games like Vaan, Lightning, Hope, etc. But TWEWY is a great starting point.
    6. Miles
      Miles
      OMG that makes me so mad! It's obvious it's a CoD/GoW fan thats writing it. People like them make me mad!!
    7. Keyblade Heroine
      Keyblade Heroine
      Hey! I gotta stop you there.
      I'm a Call of Duty fan. >.< People gotta stop hating on fans of CoD. Have you ever even tried played it before judging it?
      Call of Duty is a great game. :)
    8. windblade
      windblade
      "It's like Twilight for boys." No. Not even remotely. What Twilight is, is a holocaust of Eastern European mythology with a main female protagonist that it supposed to represent the average girl, but is instead a stupid cur who should be tortured before dying a most painful death. (Spoony from Channel Awesome says it better in his review of Eclipse than I ever could.) Plus, Twilight is a disgrace to my name (Edward). How dare they compare Kingdom Hearts to Twilight.

But I do agree with the fact that the story is getting way, WAY too muddied up. Brad from 4playerpodcast gave a talk on this a few years back during one of their streams.
      Also, the fact that the games are spread across multiple systems really pisses me off. It wouldn't be so bad if they were all on Sony systems, but Nintendo? I didn't even own a GBA or DS when CoM or 358/2 came out. Thus, I had to go and buy them. And those games were the only games I ever owned for the consoles (and this was before I knew about emulators. I got the ROM for RE:Coded).
      I dont own a 3DS, and if I get one for KH3D, then it'll again be the only game I'd own on the console. I dont even know if they'll make an emulator for 3DS games, if they haven't already. But even if they do, the games on emulators still run horridly compared to on the systems.
      If they dont want to make a game for the next gen consoles, why didnt Square just produce KH3D for the PS2? The PS2 isn't a dead system, and people would still buy the game if it came out for it. I'm sick of having to get new systems.
    9. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠
      Eh. Everyone has opinions. Mine is that I like the series. The spin-offs were kinda lame but they had their moments. The emotions from Days, the story from BBS, the different ways of playing in Re:Coded. I will say I enjoyed them all. Sadly there is a very complicated story (which I completely understand up to where it is at currently) that gets even more complicated as it goes on but I have faith in it and I am sure that all ends will be tied at the end.

Okay. I have played MW2. I had fun. I enjoyed the story and game-play. But, there is a surplus of CoD fans who think they're superior to every other game-player because they play CoD so it's only fair for others to belittle it.
    10. Miles
      Miles
      It's just the people that don't care about anything but graphics and multiplayer. they expect it to be like that or its not good or worth trying. and yes I have played it. i dont judge before trying. =P tried mulitple cod games and couldnt get into it. =/
    11. Keyblade Heroine
      Keyblade Heroine
      I know that. But still. You can't just do that.
      I hate anime and I know many KH fans love anime. But I don't go around saying CoD haters are anime geeks and think they're superior just cuz they know what the best games are. :(
    12. Chevalier
      Chevalier
      Kingdom Hearts is probably one of the better stories in video gaming out there recently. Even when that's not saying much, it's still something when you consider this game is sort of for younger audiences and other franchises which should deal with more depth and development fall flat.

I agree that the convoluted aspects don't help much. But at least they make sense and tend to be consistent. I also agree that going with so many different platforms is tedious for the buyer. You can also tell that they're not very interested into making these games as fleshed out as the main entries (nothing new, more young Sora, recycled worlds, side-content that doesn't really expand on characters)

Yet somehow, Kingdom Hearts still delivers somehow. Disney worlds? Heck yes. Cheesy and emotional scenes? Moar plz. Heart jibber-jabber? My body is ready.

So no, Kingdom Hearts doesn't suck. And I think Square Enix will blow us away when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.
    13. Saxima
      Saxima
      "It's like Twilight for boys." - I firmly believe that there may be more female fans of Kingdom Hearts than there are male fans; however, this isn't to say that there aren't an abundance of male fans, there are just more female fans. And one other thing about this - I'm sure that more people like Kingdom Hearts than Twilight, and this will always be true, because let's face it - real men don't sparkle, and girls from Arizona are tan - not pale as fuck.

I'll also agree with the fact that Kingdom Hearts really needs to stop console jumping, my pocket is only so deep, and I'm sure a lot of people can say the same.

Is Kingdom Hearts a place? I thought it was a sort of objectual entity, not a location, sort of a special object, like the Keyblade.

The story of Kingdom Hearts isn't hard - not the main, main story. Everything was pretty clear from Kingdom Hearts to Kingdom Hearts II - I'll give them Chain of Memories, but taking out the fact that Roxas appeared at the end, it would have been a good transition. The more games they had, the more the story grows - but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, if anything it makes the story more appealing, and want for the player to understand.

To be honest, while valid points were made, the writer of this article and the article itself is just a bit immature, and was also quite critical, too much than the series actually deserves.

Kingdom Hearts is a good series, and it speaks for itself with its international fanbase.
    14. Keyblade Heroine
      Keyblade Heroine
      Ok. What you say is true--many CoD fans do only take into account how a games graphics and multiplayer is.
      I just was kinda offended cuz KH is my heart and soul, but I also enjoy Call of Duty. I just didn't want people thinking all CoD fans are jerks. :(
    15. Cloudrunner62
      Cloudrunner62
      Ok...how to say this without getting out of hand...If you want to learn the story and want to like the games. You will do so, but if, if-you go into it wanting to hate it and not caring about the story, you are gonna find every flaw you possibly can and come up with reasons to complain about it. I despised the singing part of KH2. I mute it every time I have to do it. But that is just about the only complaint I have on the entire series. If the Disney characters DIDN'T act like themselves, I'd be highly disappointed. I expect the worlds to be as they are in their respective movies. As to the platform jumping, I actually don't mind it at all. I buy a new system for a KH game, and then I have the ability to play anything else for that system. The "spinoffs" they referred to are not spinoffs. They are as much part of the series as the numbered games and they all present a whole new story, play types, and character development and background. I loved Ventus and Roxas. Days made me like him even more. It gave him depth and, to put it lightly, a very good reason to leave the organization. I loved the characters of Aqua and Terra. I love (save for the aforementioned singing part) everything about this series! And...I met the love of my life 5 years ago because of it and its the reason I've met all of you. I will never stop defending Kingdom Hearts. *Summons my Oblivion and Way to dawn keyblades* Bring it on!
      [​IMG]
    16. Miles
      Miles
      Sorry wasn't trying to offend. =( It's just the people who are like that (and they know who they are). It's just people that are like that are very subborn.
    17. Keyblade Heroine
      Keyblade Heroine
      True. And thank you and apology accepted. -^.^-
      I mean, we're all KH fans in here--we're a big family! <3
    18. FurySp4rk
      FurySp4rk
      I think Kingdom Hearts series has the greatest story ever. I like the little connections and all the small stuff that makes a huge difference in the story. Yea i wish they wouldn't jump form console to console but what can you do its kingdom hearts :D gotta love it
    19. Shikou
      Shikou
      Ah, there goes IGN trolling again. I stopped caring what comes out of their mouth (or should I say blogs and reviews) when they give (almost) all the games I enjoyed bad ratings and say "this is a unenjoyable game" which is not true.