IGN Trashes Kingdom Hearts (Sort Of)

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Amidst all the exciting Dream Drop Distance news, we get this gem from IGN:
    You can read the full article by clicking here.

IGN brings up some valid points in their article, citing how the story has become over complicated, the Disney worlds can get dull, and being scattered all over the console & handheld market has not helped the series at all. Still, I think they're a bit critical, personally--the Disney worlds are also a nice throwback to many of our childhoods, and the story can make sense if you pay attention. But what do you guys think? Has the Kingdom Hearts series been waning over the years, or is it continuing as strong as ever?

Let us know your thoughts!

Thanks to forum member exile0025 for bringing up the article.

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Dredica
      Dredica
      In my opinion, 2 is your only fully rational point. That being said, I would like to point out that number I: Most fans of the series know exactly what's going on, the trailers just throw fans off until the game is released. Kingdom Heart's storytelling is fantastic in the sense that subplots come together to form one conclusion, and thus the 'little things' are what you need to look for in the game(s) as well. In every one of the games something is clarified and then new questions arise. This isn't a bad thing. Some characters and even games are created only for fanservice it seems. 358/2 Days and Re:Coded really didn't need to happen. Birth By Sleep, on the other hand, actually means something to the progressing story. Here. Let's throw away 358/2 Days and Re:Coded and keep Birth By Sleep, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and Kingdom Hearts II. This isn't confusing at all. One can comprehend it all by themselves honestly, and if not just read the Xehanort and Ansem reports. The series isn't confusing if you take the two games that are filler out of the equation. That's not to say it isn't complicated, because it is. But that's what's so great about it. People fail to realize that Kingdom Hearts, in essence, is like a classical tale. Boy meets girl, falls in love with girl, boy's best friend meets girl, boy's best friend falls in love with her too, boy goes on quest to save girl from a jealous boy's best friend. If you want to take less than five minutes (realistically) to explain a series compiling from 10 years in the making, then just tell them that. It's not that interesting, is it? But if you want a dumbed-down plot, then play a game that isn't about playing a role in an ever-evolving universe. Try Mario. What the hell is the plot in that? There isn't one. Zelda takes time to explain as well. Halo takes way longer than Kingdom Hearts. So, in comparison to other major titles out there, Kingdom Hearts is pretty easy to explain and definitely comprehend if you spend ten minutes reading some sort of information in-game or out. Halo's storyline is spread through out anime shorts, six games (so far), and a ton of books. Zelda's plot changes every game really, so at least Kingdom Hearts has a complicated story line but keeps answering questions and adding new ones. I'd rather research a powerful story than being handed everything to me.
    2. chessplayerjames
      chessplayerjames
      Oh, something else; why on planet Earth does Square keep using HANDHELDS?! Kingdom Hearts is supposed to be a high graphics game (at least, it started out that way) and should continue on home consoles. I don't get why it's been 3 years since they released one for the PS2, or any home console.

Also, why Nintendo stuff? Sony seems to have better quality in the same generation. Take the DS and the PSP for example. The PSP is WAY higher quality than the DS; it can display 3D graphics that don't look 2D, without major pixelation, etc.

As for the story being complicated, I remember trying to explain it to a friend; the events from KH1 to KH2 (we were playing KH2). It was rather hard to explain without feeling like an idiot, but that's not my problem, it's my friend's problem for not playing the series. Because the story is EASY to understand if you play ALL the games. Actually, if you only played KH1, you would understand pretty much everything. Throw in COM, and you still understand all of it (although you might wonder who these guys in the black coats are). Then throw in KH2, and you still understand everything perfectly (provided you don't play the Final Mix with Terra boss). Throw in Days, and you understand everything, because you know who all of the characters are. Then throw in BBS, and you understand MOST everything, but some holes are still left, to be sealed up in future games. Then Coded...it makes a few more holes as well, but you get the general gist of it. Play all of them, and the story really isn't all that complicated; that is, you can understand it, but it still has all of it's angles and subplots to keep your mind thinking.

As for platform jumping, Final Fantasy did a somewhat good job of not doing that. True, 1-6 released on NES and SNES, but then the N64 didn't have enough storage space on it's cartridges, so they switched to Sony's PS1; and went ahead and ended up releasing FF 1-2, 4-6. And as far as I know, every Final Fantasy game (in the main series) except for 3 has been released on either the PS1, PS2, or the PS3. Why can't Kingdom Hearts stick to something like that? Guess I'll be buying a 3DS...
    3. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      I know some people who either played Days, BBS, or Re:coded first, and they've became fans. Some of them either watched walkthroughs on youtube for the PS2 games to get the story, and others actually bought the games to actually play them. Yes, I may not be a fan of switching between different consoles, but I've really enjoyed the games (two handheld KH games are actually on my top 3 list as you can see in my sig), and I'm sure KH3 will be for a home console considering it'll be done by the same people who worked on KH1, KH2, and currently working on Versus XIII.
    4. Krowley
      Krowley
      Top comment

This is the best article IGN has ever written.
      (Edited by a moderator)

They handle it so maturely :)
    5. Miles
      Miles
      What did that person originally say to get it edited by a moderator? and is that person being sarcastic or not?
    6. Krowley
      Krowley
      I'm assuming the original comment was "This is the worst article IGN has ever written."
      I don't think it was sarcasm considering most of the negative feedback.
    7. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      If their main issue was the fact that the story was too complex, they how the hell have they not given Assassins' Creed an automatic zero?

Story is a very important part of a game for me, and it irks me when people dismiss a game because it has a lot of cut scenes.

A lot of people commenting in agreeance with them often complain that the characters are 'whiny and annoying teenagers'. Did they PLAY the games? Sora may be a teenager but he his far from whiny, overall he is very upbeat and cheerful. I see a lot of similar (unfounded) accusations thrown at Tidus from FFX, too.

The fact that a bunch of whiny, annoying teenagers are whining about whiny annoying teenagers in their games continues to amuse me.
    8. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      Whiningception :P

And honestly, I heard more whining in Dissidia then I did in all the KH games combined (not that I disliked Dissidia, I really liked it).
    9. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      We need to go- *Shot*

Its just, people seem to interpret any character exhibiting emotion in an RPG as 'emo' or 'whiny', and I don't see. Would they rather they would cold and without any personality?

Oh wait, that sounds awfully a lot like the main characters of shooters...
    10. chessplayerjames
      chessplayerjames
      Tidus, whiny? What idiot said that? He'd my favorite non-real character of ALL TIMES. Besides, he has the right to be whiny (you'll understand if you've played the game through and payed attention), even though he isn't. He accepts himself for who he is.
    11. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Quite a lot of people. I don't understand it either- throughout the game he maintains a cheerful and positive attitude, even when things get really, REALLY bad.

I mean, if I was catapulted 1000 years into a post apocalyptic future and told that in order to save the world (To defeat that giant flying whale that can shoot lasers, who is also my abusive father) I have to watch my girlfriend die, that my mentor was a zombie for the past 10 years, the government are all lying, the government are all zombies, and that I technically don't exist...I'd probably crawl up in a fetal position somewhere and cry.

Tidus gets a little sad for a moment, then mans the hell up and goes to kill some monsters. Hardly whiny.
    12. Patman
      Patman
      His father. Repeatedly.

[video=youtube;lNO08l4f3wE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO08l4f3wE[/video]

Tidus spends a good first half of the game complaining about anything and everything.
      - "What is this place ? Who are you people ? What am I doing here ? What' s that weird language and religion you have ? Why won' t Auron answer any of my questions ? Nevermind, I don' t even care, I just want to go home."
      This all may seem to be legitimate concerns at first, but it obviously gets on the nerves of his companions. They' re all on a suicidal mission to save the world and would gladly avoid bearing this endless whining over comfort issues. Kimahri tries to make him understand but fails, Lulu doesn' t even want this loony here, eventually Yuna, of all people, puts a (temporary) stop to it in the infamous laughing scene. It' s only when he realizes that Sin is Jecht that he starts to actually want to be here.
    13. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ
      Really? That doesn't sound anything like complaining to me, those sound like some pretty damn important questions. He's been thrown into a world where he literally has no idea what is going on, of course he is going to ask questions. Would you rather he just blindly went along with everything, so the player has no idea what is happening either?

That clip of him crying (The ONLY time he does so in game) is as he is right about to kill his own father, and erase himself from existence. So I think I'd be pretty emotional too.

But I think we are getting off topic. This is about IGN, not Tidus.
    14. Patman
      Patman
      This wasn' t me complaining about Tidus, I kinda like him. I just wanted to explain how he looks from the other characters' perspective. Also, if by "whining" people mean that he isn' t the usual "bring it on" never complaining macho macho man often used as a leader in J-RPGs (at least until Evangelion came around), drunkly chasing shoopufs around, then they' re right.

Doesn' t he also cry in pretty much every childhood flashback ? But yeah, moving on ...
    15. Blader
      Blader
      Yep. Yes, yes, and YES! Kingdom Hearts, now don't blow up yet, does have several loose threads that been unceremoniously swept under the rug. It's not all bad, but it isn't perfect either. And, yes, some fans have been calling Pixar-films. Yes. That, and a fresher FF cast would be nice. Daresay.... Vanille of FFXIII and Vaan of FFXII? Ooh, how about Kain Highwind? And also, Nomura, make some sense, and at least tease me with a sliver of Kingdom Hearts looks like on the inside. Not the door to the realm of darkness, not a giant heart, just show me the inside!
    16. chessplayerjames
      chessplayerjames
      I'm not too sure there is an inside...but I could be wrong...
    17. Hiro ✩
      Hiro ✩
      Only thing I agree with: It needs to be on one line of Handhelds and Consoles. Hopefully KH3 will see a PS3, PS2, Wii, or PSP, DS, and Vita release.
    18. kaseykockroach
      kaseykockroach
      I don't play video games for the story. I call them video GAMES for a reason. I couldn't care less what happens to the Nomura's self-insert OC, I just skip the cutscenes so I can get to the reasons I bought the games in the first place: Slaying monster arse alongside Donald and Goofy.
      That said, I do laugh out loud whenever I see people actually get into the story and characters (I usually don't skip the cutscenes if I want a good laugh. "WOAH! It's doing something!" and "That was undeniable proof we totally owned you lamers!" are both among the most-quoted quotes in this household).
    19. Labrys
      Labrys
      Too be honest I think what Normura should have done was make the game in their chronicle order. I mean yes they do have valid points but I think they were a tad bit off.
    20. Vagineer
      Vagineer
      I actually understand the story pretty well. But Kingdom Hearts being multi-console kind of annoys me a little.