Support I'm going to hit something if I can't fix this

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So ever since last night I've noticed red pixels on my desktop monitor and they won't go away. I've tried googling what they were from, and some say it's either a bad connection to the monitor from the computer, the monitor itself is going bad, or the graphics card is going bad. The only thing I wouldn't mind is the bad connection, because if it's the monitor or graphics card, I'm going to hit something, since I do not have the money to replace either of those right now. Apparently the screenshot I took can show what what they are, so if anyone knows anything, I'll gladly take the advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just realized though that if i can see the dots on the picture, then it's probably not my monitor huh, since other people wouldn't see what only is wrong with my monitor.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

I honestly don't see any dots on this picture... so it could just be your monitor. The way I'm thinking of it is, it's your monitor. So any picture you take on the computer won't show us the problem, because it's a problem with the video output of the YOUR monitor, not the input. I'm not a computer wizard or anything, so I can't really say much about it except from what I've said so far. However, I'm just going on what I feel is logical here. If it was a problem with your graphics card, then we'd be seeing it too because your graphics card is the visual input. (If any of this is making any sense)

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

That's strange, because in the picture I could move it around and the dots would be moving around in the picture as well. But if that's the case, why would it be my monitor in the first place? I haven't done anything with it that would cause the red pixels, and I've only had it for about 2 months. I'm pretty sure there's no reason for the screen to mess up like this after only 2 months

4. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

^Those are details you should have included in your first post. lol I see that you circled the area where the red pixels should be, and I see them now. They're VERY tiny, though. Had you not done that, I honestly wouldn't have seen them. Ok, so now it's most likely NOT your monitor. So now it COULD be your graphics card...

Have you tried playing any games to see if it affects the visuals?

5. Karuta Reborn

I see the dots. That's really weird. This might sound stupid but have you tried restarting your computer? If you do that and it's still the same, try connecting something else, like a game console to the monitor and see i the problem persists

6. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yeah, i tried resetting it multiple times last night and this morning. It's bugging me so much I can't even focus on my website right now. And I don't have any game console that's available to connect to the monitor to try that out.

7. Karuta Reborn

Pity, because that would pretty much determine if the problem was with your PC or the monitor. Do you have anything, even like a different PC or a laptop that you could try connecting?

8. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I have my laptop, but I don't know how to connect it to the PC and try that out

9. Karuta Reborn

Connect your laptop to the monitor with whatever cable you have (HDMI, VGA, etc) and see if the problem persists.

10. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

Do you have a different monitor then? That's basically the same thing.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I tried that, but nothing really happened. I don't know how to do that split screen view or whatever between the two. I had the VGA cable connected between the monitor and the laptop, but I couldn't get anything to work.

I tried taking the monitor from the living room to try that, but since the power cord is different, I wasn't going through the pain of weaving that thing in and out, especially since the computer desk is one of those giant ones like this, except even more bulky and annoying
    [​IMG]

12. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

Ok, so I dug this up after a quick search on google: Here

^Is this similar to your problem?

They say it's either you graphics card, or a bad connection (Cable).

13. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yeah, I already figured that out, I'm trying to figure out which it is if possible

14. Karuta Reborn

Right click on your desktop > Screen resolution

Monitor options are there.

15. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Not sure it's what you were thinking of, but I did manage it for a minute to get my laptop screen on the desktop, and I didn't see the dots there, so yeah, it's probably something to do with the graphics card or cord

16. Karuta Reborn

Try disconnecting your main PC from the monitor and using that cord.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

Unfortunately, I can't offer any help, but I can say that if we're able to see the dots on the screenshot, then it's not an issue with your computer, but the browser or something.

18. Iskandar King of Conquerors

There's no way it has anything to do with the browser if I'm seeing them in the same spot on the computer no matter what I do. I see them on the desktop background, when I'm using Dreamweaver, Indesign, Illustrator, and when I tried Guild Wars 2

19. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

My guess would be the cable.

I mean we know this:

• The dots are actually "attached" to the image, meaning we can all see them
    • It isn't just your browser, so it has to do with something that is displaying the image itself
    • My GPU, monitors, and cables are all fine (proven since its attached to the image)
    I mean the only things I could think of are: GPU, monitor, cable, or for whatever reason you have a really stupid virus. Which I wouldn't rule out btw.

EDIT:

A good thing to do is try this in order of "least" impacting to "most".

Try a different port on your GPU, if that doesn't work
    Try a new cable, if that doesn't work
    Try a new TYPE of cable (assuming you have one)
    Update the drivers on your GPU
    Scan for viruses

and only after you've tried all the basic stuff would I start asking myself if my gpu is breaking or not.

20. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I don't want to jinx anything, but I just realized after a few hours of reading on mangainn that the red pixels aren't there anymore. I haven't messed with anything, so what would have caused them to disappear? Heck, I still want to know what caused them to appear in the first place