I'm Living Alone

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Scarred Nobody, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'm well aware that I haven't been an active member for some time. I more just help with the Lux Leaderboard, and have been wanting to do more.

A big reason why I haven't been so active is because real life has been...interesting. To not go into much detail about what's been happening, the heart is good, found a job that I actually kinda like, and I have been living in my own apartment for about an entire month now.

Living alone hasn't necessarily been how I imagined it. It feels really weird. All the responsibility is on me, which is both a blessing and a curse. But I don't think that this is a mistake. Honestly, I never thought i would get this far in my life, being able to stand on my own feet in this way and being able to live my own life.

So, anyone got any tips for your first apartment/living alone?

2. Aelin Best Waifu

Freezer meals. Whenever you cook make extra and buy those tin take out containers. Fill your freezer with your left overs so you just have to come home and throw them in the oven days that you don't want to cook. It doesn't take much work to make extra food, when you decide to cook and it saves you cooking every night or having to eat the same meal for a week.

3. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Does this mean I can come visit? :P

4. Explode Who?!

While I'm not good at making the bed, I always make sure to at least flatten out the sheets so it doesn't look like a messy ball. I'm certainly not a neat freak, but I've come to appreciate that little things can have a positive impact on my mental state. Feeling like you're in control of the place you live, rather than simply existing there, can significantly lower stress levels. To go along with that, it's important to clean every so often. Depends on your tolerance, but I'd say it's good to, at a minimum, clean your place every other week. I like to do that on Fridays when I get home, so it's not hanging over me all weekend. And it doesn't have to be all at once. You can say "today I'm gonna tidy up my room and wipe down the bathroom. Next week I'll do the kitchen." Make it manageable: I know it can be tough to find time when you're working, and on weekends you just want to chill. Putting on a podcast or music while cleaning will make it enjoyable.

Like Aelin said, make extra food so you don't have to worry about it everyday. I'd also say it's good to have some quick options that are very simple to make, in case you fall behind and run out of prepared meals. For example I like to make Pita Bread pizzas (with chicken nuggets on top) in the toaster. Takes 10-15 minutes and doesn't create any dishes for me to wash, other than the plate/utensils I eat with. Ramen with eggs/frozen veggies is also a favorite of mine. And having some store-bought frozen meals is good for emergencies. This may be an uncommon problem, but sometimes I get wrapped up in something and will forget to eat for a long time, then I'm starving and don't have the energy to cook a full meal, so I heat something up real quick which gives me the energy to make something more substantial. Ideally you don't get to that point lol but it is a backup.

Also make sure to eat all the cookies and donuts you want, because no one can tell you not to :P

5. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Make sure you have like a box fan or some other kind of noise-maker, because you can't control neighbors. It won't drown out the loudest of stuff, but it at least masks it if the downstairs dog starts barking or if the upstairs neighbor starts singing opera at two in the morning - AGAIN.

Also if there's a window in your bedroom, you might want to just put some thick curtains up over it. If you spend a lot of time there, you might like the option of natural light, but when you're trying to sleep, blinds don't make it dark enough. If you don't have thick curtains or a curtain rod, you can just hang a relatively thick bedsheet up with thumb tacks. That's what we have hanging in our bedroom, lol. There was like, a porchlight right outside the window, and cars kept shining their headlights through it all night long, so we had to block it to make it dark enough to sleep. XD

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I could really use some visitors, haha.

I must apologize because I'm that neighbor who will sing non-stop, although I have the decency to not do so past 11. There's only so much time in the day to practice for upcoming shows, haha.

Most of my time I've found has been spent in the living room. So far, the bedroom is just for bed. And there is actually a lamp post outside of my bedroom that is good for some natural light.

7. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

*eye emojis*

Tum, you KNOW ME. I will show up at your door, don't tempt me lol

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

You will get to know yourself quite well when living alone. You will learn your habits and you may get annoyed at yourself. Best thing to do is work around your habits. Like I know if I don't do the washing up before dinner then I will not do it because when I eat my dinner, I have sat down and want to relax. I also know I suck at putting clothes away after they have been in the tumble dryer so I lob them on my bed so I have to put them away before I fall asleep (this one is less effective... I found I can just remove the clothes and put them back in the basket).

Make sure you do go outside and see people, staying inside too long can be a bit crazy but you have a job so that is fine.

Make it your own place! Decorate it how you want and make it actually feel like your home even if that means getting pokemon bed sheets, just do it : D