Support Internet Connection Lost When Uploading Videos on YouTube

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, May 14, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Not A HUGE deal, just a minor inconvenience.

As some of you know, we had to replace our modem, and now when uploading videos on YouTube, for the first five or ten minutes of the upload (if the time remaining is longer than that, of course), I cannot get connected to Windows Live Mail, websites, and Skype will go on and off, though strangely enough the YouTube upload still makes progress.

Any ideas?

2. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

It happens to me as well, but I'm pretty sure that's because Youtube saves the first couple MB of the video, so in case the connection does drop it will start again from a certain point. There really isn't anything you can do, other then maybe talk to your internet provider? Closing any tabs you don't need tends to help as well.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I guess we could try that if it becomes a big enough nuisance. It's just weird how it wasn't an issue with the other modem.

@Misty, @Nights, do you have any ideas on what it could be?

Edit: When I upload more stuff tonight, I'm going to try doing it with the modem hooked directly to my computer rather than through the router and then my computer. We'll see if that makes any difference; if it does, then it'd be an issue with the router.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Glen Returned from the dead

Happens with my internet sometimes when i'm using a simple website to convert a filetype on occassion. Fairly sure it's too much data being transferred at one time, overloading and such. If you can compress the filesize that MAY help with it, but no guarantees. Will do some research for you though.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thank you. It's just strange how it wasn't an issue when we had the other modem, as I've said.

6. Glen Returned from the dead

Well, different modems and internet connections have differing speeds, so chances are it's more the fault of that, although it may be influenced by your computer's processing speed itself. Again, speaking from experience and not specific research.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I would think all that would be determined by your ISP and what package you have. Hm.

If it helps, here's a speed test:

[​IMG]

Last time I took a speed test, it was a B+, but the numbers are about the same. I'll dig up my last speed test. Give me a moment.

Edit: Right here. I was wrong, it was only a B, but yeah.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so I'm uploading a video now while being connected directly to the modem, and the issue is still there, though it doesn't appear to be as bad.

However, I've three more videos to render and upload, so I'm going to do more testing: one more with the modem and then the last two back on the router. We'll see how it goes.

But the fact that the issue is still present even when connected directly to the modem means it's an issue with either our ISP or the modem. I've noticed that speed test results have also changed. I used to get A- or B+, but now I'm getting B- or C+.

Edit: Okay, so on this second upload, nothing happened. So now I don't know what to think. I'm going back through the router after this upload to see what will happen.

Edit #2: Okay, scratch that? I DON'T KNOW! I'm getting slow Internet like I used to when uploading a video when we were with Fairpoint with periodic non-working Internet.

Can someone please offer some insight? D:

Edit #3: Once the video gets to the processing stage, it's fine. It's, like, it happens at random when the upload is in progress. I'm going to see what I get with the router with the remaining two uploads. However, it's definitely an issue with the modem since it's happening there, too.

Edit #4: Okay, so I'm now back on the router, and I uploaded a video and got a video uploading without issues. I doubt that will last, but we'll see. Maybe the modem just needed to settle in? Can that even be possible / a thing?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  9. Sara Tea Drinker

I hate to say it, but...

It could be your cable company... I had a ***** of a time with Youtube for a while with loading, (I have Time Warner Cable, and they said flat out they didn't want "competition" so they purposely severely downgraded the loading time on Youtube. And springboard doesn't work at all, ever. It is impossible to load one video on it.) I would call them and ask them what's going on, you also have to get the modem verified through them. I bought one on my own after the cable company gave me a hard time over the one I had that crashed. If that doesn't work, I'm sorry, but I can't help you.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thanks for the response. Before I do that, I'm going to give it another try when I upload today's videos (see my fourth edit above). I have no issues at all browsing and watching videos on YouTube, it is (or "was," depending on how things go when I upload again later) just with the uploading.

Edit: And even the uploading itself is fine. It doesn't (or didn't -- again, depending things go) take any longer than it did before.

11. Sara Tea Drinker

Your cable company could be doing it the opposite than mine...? I read it, and I'm throwing things out there. I just know I hated TWC for a VERY long time during the period. (I actually still kinda do... They keep on overcharging me, but that's a different thing altogether.)

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Spoke too soon. Still having problems, but surprisingly enough, no Internet loss, just really, really slow loading. Maybe it's only the first upload of the day? I dunno. Like, once I upload more and more the same day, it gets better.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so I did another test directly with the modem right now while uploading, and it's definitely an issue with the modem because I just couldn't get connected to the server on KH-Flare.

I also couldn't submit this post when I originally wrote something else.

I'm going to ask my mom if she'll call Charter during her lunch hour later, but I don't understand why a different modem would cause that.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

So, we stopped by Charter today, but first, to give a general and more simplistic overview of the problem:
    • When I upload videos on YouTube, only the uploading works. During pretty much the whole time a video's uploading, there's no Internet access to anything (KH-V, SEGA, etc.) but the uploading. Could possibly have to do with bandwidth or something. Skype and e-mail still work, but e-mail is slow.
    • Was not an issue back on our other modem before it broke

When we stopped by Charter today, we got a few possibilities that could be causing the issue:
    • Could possibly be that our computers are outdated since computers become outdated very fast (they're a few years old) and cannot handle the new modem's processing power or something
    • The new modem is faulty
    • Configuration issue. We had to reconfigure modem settings because we could not get connected with the modem.

It doesn't seem to and I don't think it can be a router issue, because 1) it wasn't an issue on the other modem and 2) I've tried with my computer connected directly to the modem, and the issue was still there.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  15. Amaury Legendary Hero

It appears the issue disappeared a while ago. I've been able to browse the Internet while uploading.

This can be locked.