Kingdom Hearts II Is Kairi useless?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Shikou, Oct 22, 2011.

1. awesomeperson Destiny Islands Resident

she is useless she very waek and in kh 1 shes more i dont better than kh 2 cuz when axel takes her shes not even trying to bbreak free,thinkin oh sorea will save!dont get me wrong i dont really hate her she jus really anyoin i like he she not my fav

2. Krown King's Apprentice

It's funny that you said that and yet shes your avatar. Lol

Well anyways I think she is useful.
    Main reason why is there probably wouldn't be kingdom hearts if she wasn't in the story.
    Cuz if it wasn't for her Riku would've probably never fallen into the darkness and etc.

Yes, I do wanna see her do some fighting in a future game, cuz now she finally has a keyblade so she's gotta use it of course.

3. Patman Bof

Well, BBS secret reports and the tale told by Kairi' s grany give us a good idea of what will happen in the end.
    The BBS ending says that the worlds will be saved by Sora and Riku, but in his letter Mickey says he thinks that the truth behind the Keyblade lies within Sora, Riku and Kairi. I suppose she' ll stick to her supporting role (she' ll figure out something the other two are clueless about or whatever).
    If she does take part in the fighting I think it will be very sporadic. Either she' ll suck as usual or, at best, she' ll use a princess of heart hidden skill, something akin to the way Zelda "fights" Ganon.

Serah literally growing a pair and super duper fighting techniques in like thirty seconds is probably the most ridiculous thing I' ve ever seen in a FF. Seriously. Kairi sucks at fighting, true, but when she really has to she does fight. Although she usually fights for others rather than for herself she' s not just a passive crybaby.

Serah on the other hand ... let' s see, what' s her story in FFXIII again ?
    She weeps, she weeps some more, she weeps while kissing Snow, weep, kiss, weep, kiss ... thirty weep-kiss loops later she still has no frigging idea what she could do so she weeps some more, turns into a crystal (at that point the player cries ... in relief), is freed in the end, and resumes the kissing. Mind blown.

No really, Kairi (or even Twilight' s Bella) deserves a frigging massive feminist medal when compared to Serah.

4. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, she DOES try to break free from Axel's grip in KHII. She's just weak in general. She's a princess, they don't usually have to fight for themselves.

5. Mixt The dude that does the thing

And in KH1 as soon as she's awake she want's to fight. Riku has to beg for her to leave him behind, then she saves Sora, and then she begs Sora to let her come to the final battle (she ends up caving when Sora says she would be in his way, but still)

I mean given the circumstances what it would take for Kairi to be a "fighter" is essentially her being a reckless idiot.

6. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I don't think Kairi was useless. She was motivation for Sora in KH1 and KH2 [Even though it seemed like he was more motivated to find Riku, since he thought Kairi was safe on the island, waiting for them to return for most of the game etc.] She is also Sora's love interest so she has a supporting role. She's also a princess of heart, needed to open Kingdom Hearts etc etc. Not to sound sexiest, she's a girl, one is used to being saved/usually doesn't have to fight for herself so, she's weak she did try to break free from Axel's grasp in KH2 aswell so at least she was stubborn enough to do that and not be all like Princess Peach like, letting herself get kidnapped etc.

Sorry if I've repeated anything that has already been said.

7. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Plus at The World That Never Was, Riku hands her a Keyblade and she runs off swinging it around without even questioning how to use it. She just assumes that Sora swings it around and it magically kills Heartless.

What's with her one-hit kills on the Shadows anyway? She can't be more than a level one and the Shadows take more than one hit to kill regardless.

8. Patman Bof

[video=youtube;-NMph943tsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMph943tsw[/video]

9. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I feel as though Kairi, having served her purpose in the first two games as the damsel-in-distress, has room for growth. Now that she is more in-the-know about what types of tribulations both Riku and Sora have/still have to go through in the battling arena, this gives the Kingdom Hearts creators a great opportunity to change up her role a bit. By the third game, she will be how old? Sixteen? She will no longer be the fourteen-year-old we were initially introduced to. By joining the ranks of the Keyblade wielders, perhaps going through some training period where she becomes closer to Sora's and Riku's level, there is potential for a fantastic character arc. Rather than throw Kairi away, I feel the creators should take advantage of a character already so central to the plot and get her into the action. Players are familiar with her, and to subvert the damsel-in-distress role she's previously played would provide a fresh twist.

Or the creators could continue to frustrate me by shunting her to the side for the third game...again...

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

They won't do that. It is the principle of Chekhov's Gun. Since she now has a keyblade they are virtually required to have her use it at the risk of angering the fans. I just hope they don't over do it and haver suddenly be as good a fighter as everyone else because she has one now.

11. POH Merlin's Housekeeper

Is Kairi useless? Like an appendix; there for no reason and very painful when she bursts.... that didn't make any sense at all, sorry. Kairi, in a way fuels Sora's emotions which when engaged and enraged challenge him further in his quest. What's more is that Kairi is a part of Sora, without that other half what's he fighting for? Besides, you think he'd do the same thing for Selphie? .___.

Her return to the third major title is almost inevitable. Perhaps she'll be a more flexible character though, she could be an ally. And if Kingdom Hearts III (or whatever they choose to name it) is in fact the last game in the series, I'm sure she'll play a significant role in that final chapter.

12. Blader Traverse Town Homebody

I'll agree with you. I don't think she is, she just needs some growth. And a longer skirt. Jeez, Nomura. What were you thinking. On the whole Keyblade idea, Xion(who, yes, is a mismatch of SORA, I get it. She stills looks like Kairi, though.) gets beaten multiple times in Days. Riku, a heartless, Axel, and eventually, Roxas.(T_T that was depressing...) She never really wins. I'm not saying she should be all-Aqua or Lightning-like, and beat EVERYONE. No. Noooo. Just...no. Not really her style. And as for the one-hit kill on those Shadows, I have a theory.
    Destiny's Embrace originally belonged to Aqua. Kairi gets handed the same blade. How did Riku get it, if it's (I'm guessing here... Don't flame yet...)a keychain for Aqua? Eh? Ehhhhh?and that blade makes it easier to hit critical hits, or she amped it up(but didn't know it) with Light. Or she's naturally good. Doubting the last one.

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I don't have anything more to add on the original topic, but before this deviates into a discussion on the one hit kills I would like to point out that in cutscenes all lesser heartless and nobodies go down in one hit. If I remember correctly you even see Mickey takedown Darksides in one hit, which shouldn't be possible by gameplay standards since Mickey does weaker and more-agile hits compared to Sora and Sora can't come close to that feat. They simply don't take the time to choreograph and animate longer fight sequences unless they think it is worth it, and the shadows are definitely not worth it.

14. SuperToaster Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't like Kairi as much anymore cause of the whole forgetting Sora name. I know I know. But forgetting it at all is so wrong.

15. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Kinda funny you would say that. I mean Kairi was supposed to forget Sora's entire existence but was still able to remember him at least vaguely because of the bond they shared, and eventually remember his name with that same bond (albeit a more convoluted form of it)

Riku's role in that I find a bit more interesting since he also should have forgotten but you would hardly know it from how how he acted. The only time I can recall Riku actually showing that Namine had an effect on his memories was when directly asked by DiZ. I guess that comes down to it being hard for him to remember but where Kairi was in familiar ground Riku wasn't. So if Riku lost sight of his memories of Sora he would have been completely lost. Might actually be part of the reason for the blindfold come to think of it.

16. RikuxXion Merlin's Housekeeper

Kairi isn't useless, she can use a keyblade! And if kairi wasn't there what would be the point of soras first journey? Or the next? And isn't namine kairis nobody?

17. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Kairi is Sora's friend, she is the reason Sora kept going forward in Hollow Bastion for example. She just had a few minutes of good scenes... but Kairi was always in Sora's mind/heart, Sora was always thinking in Kairi, they grow up together, but... it happened that she lost her heart, y'know. Lol.

In Kingdom Hearts II she starts to fight with the heartless, she isn't useless... she just is the hero's pair (Sora and Kairi).

18. nickoboyzx Gummi Ship Junkie

i'm not so sure if kairi are useless

i think she a little hero though ( ( in my opinion )

19. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Well, she is definitely not useless plotwise, she is needed for the characters to actually want to get off there world as well as someone for Sora and Riku to fight over and want to save, also as one of the Princesses of heart (I mean 6 PoH would just be weird xD)

As a "come save me" character, it sort of highlights gender stereotypes of damsels in distress but she does pick up a keyblade to show that she can hold it out and can protect herself, it sort of opens up a potential for her to be a party member in the future.

If she was killed off then I don't see how KH would be better, first off it would just seem weird and not right, it would put a really sad spin on things unless she was brought back to life. She is one of the main characters and both Sora and Riku obviously have a deep bond with her and it just wouldn't feel right for her to disappear. She is an important character to the series and I think she is far from useless.

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

In my opinion, the damsel in distress role she had in the first game helped push her Princess of Heart status. I mean, in fairy tales, princesses usually are damsels in distress.