Japan eartquake followed by tsunami

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eentje, Mar 11, 2011.

1. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

So a 8.9 magnitude earthquake has hit Japan. There's life footage at the moment of tthe chaos and the aftershocks. Also just minutes after the eartquake, a 10 meter tall tsunami hit the same city...
    There are 12 deaths confirmed at the moment...

2. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

(I'm watching BBCWN right now, and they're reporting a tsunami watch for the pacific coast of most of the Americas; including "California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska." Leaving Canadians going "well, excuse me.")

Hours later there are reports of nearly 300 confirmed fatalities due to the quake, and over 300 houses have been washed away by the tsunami. And there are some reports of bodies washing up on the shore.

Holy ****.

I've been seeing footage of it. It's no surprise that this is "the most powerful earthquake to hit Japan in recorded history." :<

3. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Whoever said that is wrong. It's the 4th or 5th biggest one in recorded history. Biggest one in the past one and a half century.

4. x0xnaminex0x Destiny Islands Resident

5. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

In world history perhaps yes. But looking at past earthquakes in Japan, this one at 8.9 appears to be the most powerful to hit that country.

6. Jube Formerly Chuck's

My condolences to everyone in Japan.
    Everyone in the Tsunami zone, stay safe.

7. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

If you think what you said earlier and what you said now is the same, then think again. The situation from itself is pretty bad, we don't need the media to promote more chaos.

8. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I really wasn't looking for someone to get painfully and pointlessly technical on me. It's a big truckin' earthquake. If you want, I'll leave it at that if I've been so misinformed.

9. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Oh wow. My thoughts go to those affected and I hope the numbers of those hurt and killed don't continue to climb. I can't even begin to imagine something like that happening to me.

Thank gosh that none of the nuclear and fuel power plants in the area were badly affected, this could have been so much worse. I hope that any follow on tsunamis will be mild at worst.

As an aside, I cannot tell whether this person is trolling or not:

But what a dick either way.

10. Doukuro Chaser

I can never believe things like this happen... You know, it just shouldn't. Of course it does.... I hope that death toll doesn't rise at all. May those who have died rest in peace as well.

I have a friend in Cali... Hope she stays safe.

11. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

Okay, so I'm a pure atheist. And that guy, well I hope a building dropped on his haed and thets why he talks rubbish... If not, then he should go to the deepest cave on earth and stay there. I know there are people who say that God punished Japan. Because it is a Godless country or something.

@Naomi; You know, google started a person finder.

12. Doukuro Chaser

I just got to talk to her. She's safe and was told that it shouldn't hit her area. Whew.

And that person is...words I shouldn't say. It is weird though, having all of these terrible things happen. And I don't know if I even believe in God.

13. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

Good to hear she's okay! And about the person, the thing he said is probably a tweet...

14. Jin うごかないで

I heard about this , i watched this morning before going to school , i couldn't belive it , but it was acctually happening , I hope i never face something like that , i hope the people get through it unharmed..or atleast alive..

15. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

Well apparently, the Japanese people knew it would come because of the events in Australia. So, they knew bout the earthquake, but not about the Tsunami

16. Always Dance Chaser

I'm in California and really scared right now....>_>

But really, that is awful for all those people. Praying for the families.

17. Jin うごかないで

Wait , events in Australia? what happened in Australia to cause the earthquake in japan?

18. Sara Tea Drinker

They've found 200-300 bodies, I was keeping up to date on CNN at work this morning.

What a sheer tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, as does my mom. It's hitting Hawaii and California, too. My mom said probably some idiot surfer would go out in these waves and be killed. As tragic and sad as it is, I kinda have to agree on that note. My aunt just left the California coastline a few days ago, she lives in the desert, surrounded by mountains. And she just called a few minutes ago, so she's fine. I hope a lot more families get the same news.

19. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I've been hearing/keeping up to date as best I can all day; even was allowed to skip a lesson to discuss it. I hope friends and families of people in Japan get good news, I'll keep my fingers crossed for more survivors. It's awful, I hope aftershocks don't cause another tsunami.

20. Daxa~ #stalker

I really hope everyone theres ok....my boyfriends half japenese and his grandma and grandad live there....hes really worried because they live near where the earthquake and tsunami zone....and they arent picking up their phone....ugh i hope their ok :/