Kingdom Hearts II Kairi's Character

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by awsomonium, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She had that in KH2 somewhat, but it came out looking pathetic, in my opinion. She doesn't do it naturally, as I explained, so it came off too fake. I'm seriously thinking it won't work in future installments either.

2. JustANobody Twilight Town Denizen

Seriously. For that egostical personality,take this example: After Sora and Kairi finally met up and before "Ansem" revealed himself to be Riku,Donald made a compliment: "Kairi,you were great!". He was most likely surprised that she,for once,fought to save her own ass,therefore thought it would help to praise her and encourage her to do it more often. But instead of a "thanks" of any sort,what does she do? Flips her hair and giggles in a total egoistic way. Not cool.

3. khmaniac101 Traverse Town Homebody

that was a regular kairi comment it goes back to the "so you noticed" comment from KHI its her personality

but even then she was a inefficiant fighter in 1 I liked her because you barely ever saw her and you were always working to find her (and in 1 there was alot more emotion) but in II she got too much limelight and just like any female lead went sour pretty quick (and yes pun intended)

also how is kairi hot??? give me namine any day

4. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

I don't see why she's flipping her hair. She just swatted some small fodders away. I could do what she did. And cooler too.

She's pathetic.

5. I forgot about that. It didn't bother me, but I was really "WTH?" when I saw that. I guess Kairi thinks she's kick a** now xD. I want to see her put up with Larxene, honestly (or any other, like Tifa). With the deus ex machina that is her keyblade and herself.

Nomura needs to step it up with females though. There's so many damn male characters in the KH world, and only six females in all. One Nobody who died too early without any depth, one Nobody who actually went in-depth and has character, yet does not represent the "fighter" presence. Returned to her self as well. Kairi is perfect (I disagree with Repliku on a few counts. The only one I can see as a flaw is where she says to Sora to forget Riku and leave together, yet that in itself is thrown off as joking, and is left open to what exactly was she thinking when doing so. The rest is merely on point of view, as Kairi didn't appear like she was doing any of that on purpose, and making anyone compete by force. The running was for fun, and she even joined in. And of course, being Sora's love interest, she's going to be, "Oh, Sora!". She still shows she cares for Riku, however, in certain ways. The problem is that is not shown excessively as it should). I rather not go on more about her. Aqua is a hope (though I think she's only in one game and soon gone), as well as the 14th member <-- yet I do think that Larxy got jipped if that random girl got more depth.

Seriously. All the fanfics came true on the 14th notion.

6. Axelrific Banned

She has a little of combat chick and a little of damzel in distress. Anywho, she has a good personality since shes a princess of heart.

7. JustANobody Twilight Town Denizen

LoL. Yeah,I really hope that Aqua is freaking amazing. There are a bit of Squeenix girls that are already kick-arse,though. Tifa,literally. She's strong,both physically and emotionally (though stalks Cloud a bit too much). Yuna,well,let's just say don't piss her off. Guns + PMS = Oh mai. Namine,though she's a bit frail,is still stronger than Kairi. She took matters into her own hands by meeting Roxas personaly and had the strength and will to fight,instead of waiting on the sidelines like Kairi. =/ (lol,Selphie in the first game was more of a threat, and all she had was a jumprope.)

8. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

Selphie was a mere shell of her former self in KH and she was STILL more kickass than Kairi.

It's not that there are too many males in KH. It's that the females suck. Hell, there ae alot of males in Naruto. But the females have something called PERSONALITY and DEPTH! Unlike our pretty little princess.

9. Zandyne King's Apprentice

I think Tifa is the only "female character" that Nomura has ever made that is the closest to actually being a decent female character, and that is a bad statistic if you really look at it.

Yuna was a robot in my opinion and in fact fairly related to Kairi the only difference is the amount of lines, a different breed of dress and the fact you could USE HER IN BATTLE). She could also summon things but consider how useful they were and the near-end-game events that entails those summonable things (even the game aims to make her USELESS BEYOND COMPARE). She also was an idiot when it comes to practicality. (Do a sending on SEYMOUR? NOW WHY WOULD I DO THAT WHEN WE CAN FIGHT HIM FOR THE THIRD ANNOYING TIME? WHUT SUMMON SOMETHING TO FLY ON INSTEAD OF AN AIRSHIP, SORRY I CAN ONLY DO IT WHEN I'M IN A CRAPPY WEDDING DRESS FROM HELL) Also those guns are an anachronism and can FFX-2 seriously be considered a canon game? The spontaneous job-changing and magical nerf-skilling makes very little sense. Also, MAGICAL GIRL JOB CHANGE IS NOT A POWER, SORRY GUYS BUT IT JUST ISN'T.

There is a reason why I consider Nomura to utterly suck in "good female character" department. We can hope for improvement, but it's kinda like hoping that he'll stop using COPIOUS belts and zippers on his character designs, it probably ain't happening, and if it does, it'll be a rare and fleeting thing.

10. awsomonium Merlin's Housekeeper

Square should make a game with a female lead thats not a sequel, than they could build a decent female character from scratch and give her lots of personality, oh wait, just remembered ff13 has a female lead, hope Lighting can do it :)

11. Sui_Caedere Traverse Town Homebody

You're talking about Larxene there? I watch all her scenes from KH:CoM and she have more personality than some other Organization members (tough there all awesome =D) She can't actually "be" evil (since she doesn't have a heart) but she acts like a real b**** if you know what I mean... She is a pretty decent character...

12. Paladin12345678 Twilight Town Denizen

*coughSakuracough*

*sigh* Here we go again, people berating a 'useless' character when she hardly got any screentime at ALL! I would argue against it, but I'm tired. Maybe later, when I care.

13. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

I hope that you are not comparing Haruno Sakura(A character with flaws and development) to Kairi. As for screentime, there is no excuse. Kairi is supposed to be the third part of the trinity(Sora,Riku,Kairi) and Noruma didn't give a damn. Also, ever heard the saying, "There are no small roles. Only small actors". It's not about how much screentime you got. It's about what you do with the screentime that you are given.

14. Gritz has just pwned xP, so I don't have much to say.

If you've been noticing in Naruto, which you haven't apparently, Sakura has come a long way, and she's actually being useful and helpful. She grew, she learned, she processed, and she got depth as a character throughout all arcs. 12 to the Sakura now after the time skip is highly different. She became more sensitive and caring, even understanding. I use to not like her, hated her, but she changed, and my view did with her. She's flawed, and she's not perfect.

And it doesn't matter how much screen time, as been said. In those small moments, no matter how scarce, her character should grasp the viewers, and whatever Kairi gave, obviously did not cut it. It didn't. Is not even her "uselessness" as much as she's just plain not interesting. Whatever she tries, it comes out pathetic or forced, she's perfect in every possible way, I don't think there's any negative personality in her, and she's a deus ex machina, which I truly despise. Unless she does something that gets my attention finally, she'll remain that way. And to others in this thread.

You know there's something wrong if people prefer her Nobody better.

15. Paladin12345678 Twilight Town Denizen

I have never ONCE seen Sakura do ANYTHING! She embodies uselessness! At least Kairi does SOMETHING in her lifetime! Kairi saves Sora's whole existance in KH1! Let's look at what Sakura, a supposedly a 'better' character than Kairi, has done?

Sakura: *sees illusion of Sasuke dying* OMFG! *faints*

Sakura: *sees Naruto and Sasuke about to clash with each other* OMFG STOP! *runs at them*

Sakura: *sees Gaara about to own Sasuke* Time to do something! (Instead of being intelligent and moving Sasuke, she instead stand in front of him and gets captured! People whine that Kairi gets captured, yet the supposedly 'better' character of Sakura, despite being a qualified ninja, was captured)

Sakura: *fighting the sound four* Time to unleash my ultimate technique! *cuts her hair*

It can be expressed by a Naruto Abridged quote;

Kakashi: Listen, Sakura, I'll make a deal. Every time you do something useful, you get to say something. Oops, my bad, I guess you're mine until Shippuden.

Yes, let's compare two teenage girls, despite the fact that one has had absolutely no combat experience and one is a QUALIFIED FREAKING NINJA!

16. Repliku Chaser

Well, not sure why we are bothering talking about Naruto. To go back to Square Enix girls... Tifa, Celes and Terra seem to be the only girls that could 'break the mold' at all of the usual females. They actually were females that could fight and even Terra, who could have just 'filled the white mage' slot did not. She actually wielded a sword and was a red mage. I have some hopes for Lightning too. This is what Kairi hopefully is getting, which is a swift kick in the butt to be a part of that team since she so wants to 'not get left behind' now.

I really didn't think Namine was better than Kairi. The only reason she seemed better is quite literally she had more 'air time' than Kairi did. She was pretty shallow and weak too and she just was nothing to anyone but Sora...and then suddenly likes Roxas or whatever. I saw she had more character development in time since she obviously had to do more. If Kairi had not been without a Heart and had some true exposure to danger, it may have been different. I do find Kairi's attitude in KH2 at least to be more courageous but the flip of the hair like she had skill so great all along...where'd she just get the tude from? Guess it came from determination to find her man. *shrug*

I just really hope KH2 makes her into a more 3d character with some visible faults and merits like the other two characters because I do agree no character should come off 'perfect' if people are to want to like the character at all. I saw faults in her already but they aren't really enough to say she's not just a scared little co-dependent girl.

17. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I dont care that she is a worthless *****, but can you shortened her skirt please xD at least her KH1 outfit had a skort

18. khmaniac101 Traverse Town Homebody

uuh your callin aqua terra lol

but yea I agree she needs some faults to be more....I dunno accessible to players to make her feel like she's human

19. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Actually I think the SMT series does a much better job with their breaking-the-mold female characters. You can even look at the weakest spinoff of the series to this date (Persona 3) and even attempt to connect Yukari (one of the "main" female characters and closest) to Kairi and good lord Kairi is a train wreck that never got moving. Though it will most likely come off as bias, the female cast available from Persona 3 alone meets if not surpasses that of what the LONG FF series has had to offer with ANY of their female characters in terms of development and the most important part, character.

To name one of the many examples of why Kairi seems to epitomize bad character: if someone thinks they LOVE someone, I damn want to see some BLUNDERS, hiccups and stumbles along the way; sure the power of love is supposed to conquer all, but hell, what about addressing what bad things it can bring about? Kairi manages to do EVERYTHING with the power of LIGHT/her alleged love for Sora and she does everything with very little consequence, if she does something stupid or wrong it just brings her closer to her goal regardless, which seriously, I must beg the question of "what the hell?"

Now why I like/appreciate Namine more is because unlike Kairi, Namine was held captive and treated badly, so I don't EXPECT Namine to act like a very good person nor have the same moral judgment or backbone as any of the other characters (she had very little chance to), and lo and behold by the end of game she was in, she did improve or in the very least showed signs of change despite how poorly she did treat Repliku. In the least she offers to redeem herself at any cost (siding with DiZ of all people) and do things within her weird power which clearly showed it's limits, unlike Kairi who just pulls them out of thin air... However by the end of KH2 it felt like someone swapped her personality, specifically when she was "with" Roxas. That I will agree is the most "canon" OOC I have ever seen in my life.

I have very little hope for KH3, unless Nomura can pull off one of the most brilliant 180 character fixes of the console, I seriously doubt Kairi will leave her Sue-Status, and even if she manages to scrape into the right direction, it may be the in "too little too late" vein. (Also I think you meant to say KH3 Repliku. o_O) Currently my hope rests heavily on poor Aqua's shoulders, I'm hoping her actions in the trailer are not just eye-candy that -never- happens in-game.

20. Repliku Chaser

No...Terra is the name of a female character from FF VI...along with Celes. I had a feeling people might get confused at the names. Yes, there's Terra in BBS, but it isn't obviously the same person as that one is male, a Keyblade wielder, etc. Terra in FF VI is a female red mage who is half Esper...which Espers basically become the 'Summons' in the game. If you've never played FF VI, you should! Even though the graphics hurt, it's an amazing game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.