Kingdom Hearts II KHII is kinda sexist...?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by venster, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

This is what I was thinking....

Org. XIII, composed of only nobodies who had a strong heart. So we have 12 guys and 1 girl.... (I'm not counting xion)

Doesn't it seem like it's implying that girls don't really have strong hearts compared to guys? =O

Note: Don't go too radical on this. Personally, I don't mind about this. So no "trying to change my mind" thing. Just simply pointing out.

2. RoxaSora2010 Nulla è reale. Tutto è lecito.

Uhh...coincidence?

3. Bond of Flame I'm an alien

I get what you mean, but I don't think it's really sexist or something.
    A lot of games/movies/books etc. have more male characters than female ones.

4. Azure Flame Banned

I understand what you mean, but remember, many games are centered around a male character who is trying to save a female character against many male bosses and a few female bosses. That's how it's been for years.

5. Destined Working for WDW

I wrote a paper concerning the role women are given within the contexts of video games. You could say that this is a sexist move making the Organization majority male characters, but then you could also claim the Organization as racist as well. I don't think that Square sat in a board room and said "hmmm well let's add laxrene at the last minute and then not even use her in the game." The problem is that video games are geared so specifically towards a male audience that it is somewhat necessary for NPC or even playable characters to be female and few games try to break that mold (Metroid, FFX2, Beyond Good and Evil).

6. Azure Flame Banned

Actually, with Larxene, she was first introduced in the original Chain of Memories, so she was used in the game. It was just KH2 that she wasn't really in. And I remember that for most of the game I thought Marluxia was a girl, until they refered to him as a him, and not a her.

7. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Was KH really for a male-oriented fanbase? Yeah, you get a couple of pantie shots from Kairi and Naminé's dress could just be a towel, but other than that, it seems more like the more males in the game, the more guys fangirls could choose from to create ambiguous yaoi pairings. :sideways:

It's not really sexist if it's widely accepted by both genders alike. And I think it was more oriented toward the 12 and up gaming fanbase regardless of gender.

8. Misty gimme kiss

You could argue another side -- maybe all females are just great fighters, and therefore they haven't lost their hearts? And the series itself is not at all sexist -- there are plenty of powerful female characters. Larxene, Aqua, Yuffie, Mulan, etc.

And we can't be so sure that a male nobody is created when a male loses his heart, or that a female nobody is created when a female loses her heart. We so far only know a lot about three cases of nobodies being created -- Roxas, Namine, and Xemnas, and though the nobodies do retain their former selfs' gender, there's nothing stating that Xigbar, Vexen, Xaldin, Zexion, Luxord, Axel, Demyx, and Marluxia weren't made from women.​

9. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Well I do admit its in the gray area, can't be sure if its sexist or not though.

For example, Marluxia was supposed to be the second woman, but Nomura changed the character to a male for the alleged reason: "Xemnas would never have a female in charge"

That makes Xemnas seemingly sexist, which is "okay" because Xemnas is an evil bad guy but it makes you wonder why Nomura simply didnt make another female character? He probably got a lot of **** for it which is why he made Xion a girl...

but still.

10. saix551 Kingdom Keeper

Meh, it has some girls atleast, 2 mains in kh2, and 1 main in com. they did this so they wouldn't be sued for "prejiduiced against women"so.. yeah.. not really sexist under the correct "definition" in the english language.

11. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

I agree.

And I think that Marluxia's Somebody was a woman. Lol.

12. saix551 Kingdom Keeper

or umm... *COUGH*Transy*COUGH* hee-hee :D

13. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Lol, that's a possibility too XD

14. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

He can still be your favorite even if his somebody was a tranny/woman ^_^

15. ChaosRade* Traverse Town Homebody

I agree too
    but what happens if Marluxia's somebody is really a woman but the nobody turned into a boy?

16. Forever Love Life Without Limits

I wouldn't necessarily say it's sexist. I never really thought of it before, but I don't really agree with it being sexist to women. Larxene was a powerful character, even if she was included in only COM and mentioned in Jiminy's Journal in KH2. But we also have Xion coming up, showing as another strong female with an important role, apparently. And we also have Agua, an essential character to KH.

You can't forget Tifa, Yuffie, or Aerith either. They're women with strong hearts and spirits, even if they're not original KH characters. Regardless, I wouldn't say that Nomura meant to make this sexist in any way. The Kingdom Hearts franchise is directed to anyone of any age and any gender. Like a few others mentioned, males are more commonly leads in video games and seem more threatening when it comes to being villains. So the fact that there are only a few female characters seems okay to me, even if I would love to have an original female KH character in my party in a future game. And who knows? That could be a possibility.

I'm sure Nomura isn't that clueless; he knows that there are many women that are fans of this game. He's smart enough to create female villains and heroines that would satisfy the fangirls, whether they think the game was sexist or not.

17. Smackdoodle McGiggles Hollow Bastion Committee

actually Marluxia was originally supposed to be a girl... but they scrapped it.... along with Marluxia's brown hair... in early copies of CoM he has brown hair, but it was changed to pink

18. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Well that's good. Brown is boring. Pink is much cooler.

Hmm maybe they were like, "Well, even if he's not a girl, he should be a little feminine, we don't really have a character like that yet... hmm let's see, how should we do that... OMG PINK HAIR!!"

19. Graxe King's Apprentice

I see Organization XIII as more of a standard deck of cards and Larxene being the queen(Xemnas=ace, Roxas=king). So, no I don't think so, but I can see how it can be.

20. Daenerys Targaryen ok

Actually it doesn't both me that Square-Enix has more guy characters,in general. It makes room for more guys to be freaky obsessed for (:

Haha,but it's not like Square Enix is saying girls aren't strong or willing to fight.
    Look at Tifa,she could kick some man ass if she wanted to.

I wouldn't take it to heart as much if I were you.It's really not worth getting upset over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.