KHV Pokemon Community

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by 61, Nov 21, 2014.

1. 61 No. B

Alright so ORAS just came out, and rather than flooding the Spam Zone with Pokemon talk (which we already do, and I know people don't like it), here's a place where we can talk about the games, trading, battling, experiences, and anything Pokemon in general. I have some other stuff to post in the OP to facilitate conversation, but since I can't be bothered to do anything other than play ORAS and post this little thing right now, I'll come back this evening and add a few things. this was rushed

Obviously, ORAS spoilers abound, so if you've yet to play the game, proceed at your own risk. And it goes without saying, but for those who are playing the game, use spoiler tags anyway. This isn't just a place for ORAS, it's for the KHV Pokemon community.

So, before I add some other things to discuss, I'll go ahead and ask this: what is your playthrough team for ORAS, and what was your reasoning behind it?

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...But...what about the ORAS thread?

3. Hayabusa Venomous

I'd say we could just use the Social Group, but *shrug* I don't mind either.

4. 61 No. B

i thought it was a news thread
    and this is not exclusively oras
    i mean, whatever you guys want to do. oras thread or social group is good too. i just thought this would be a good alternative because it's confined, unlike the group which could get flooded with similar threads, and is not about a single game like the oras thread. i'll follow the group wherever it wants to post.

5. Hayabusa Venomous

So...I dunno what to call my Sceptile. Right now it's Predator, a la the film series, but...I dunno. I can't figure out much for a Grass/Dragon.

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

How you're missing Snapdragon is beyond me.

7. Hayabusa Venomous

[​IMG]

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I've been trying my hand at breeding with Pokemon Y to make a team for Alpha Sapphire (5 + Starter). I don't really play Pokemon online (that'll change once I get the hang of breeding what I want), so I didn't put too much thought into my team. I started wanting to breed a perfect starter from each Gen and chose my favorites from each.
    1. Bulbasaur
    2. Totodile
    3. Torchic (only because I hadn't gotten a Mudkip yet!)
    4. Chimchar (because I haven't gotten a Turtwig)
    5. Oshawott
    6. Chespin
    Though in reality Oshawott so I'd have two of each type. I don't really like any of the Gen V starters. If I had gotten Turtwig and Mudkip by the time I started, it would have been Bulbasaur, Totodile, Mudkip, Turtwig, Tepig, and Fennekin.
    I only got Bulbasaur and Totodile done in time with Torchic in the process. So I decided to change up my plans. I chose Mudkip as my starter because although Treecko is my fave Gen III starter, Swampert is my favorite final starter evolution from this generation (also, Mega Swampert looks beast. That gorgeous opening to oras just made him seem even more appealing).
    So...I chose a varied type party. I kept Bulbasaur because I love his evolutionary line (Moreso Ivysaur than Venusaur, though) for Grass/Poison
    Mudkip as my starter obviously (even if it's not bred or perfect, I always feel weird NOT using my starter for the first playthrough).
    Chimchar, I'm still finishing on breeding for a Fire/Fighting
    Eevee for a Sylveon for Fairy, since I want to try using that type. Didn't use any through Pokemon Y.
    Noibat because it's ****ing adorable and Noivern is ****ing beast. Flying/Dragon
    And then Rotom to fill in anything else; though I'm not sure when/how I'll be able to switch his forms.

9. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Right now I have Lana the Torchic, Marina the Ralts, Aquilo the Glaceon (evolved in XY), and Hiro the Poochyena. Didn't wanna use my shiny Beldum right off the bat since it's not nickname able like the rest.

10. 61 No. B

Am I the only one who doesn't nickname?
    If you need any help breeding, ask me. I consider myself fairly experienced.
    Apparently you can change Rotom's forms in the professors lab in Lumiose, but I've yet to try it myself.

My ORAS team is, excluding Torchic and Corphish, made up of mons that I've never had in-game before. I picked Torchic since it's my favorite of the 3 (though lately I'm starting to like Mudkip a lot more), and since I already had the others I didn't feel obligated to pick something else. Seedot because I like Shiftry and was holding off on breeding on in XY because I knew I would do it in ORAS. Ralts because I'm considering Gardevoir for a competitive team and I've never had one. Manectric because... just because. Mawile for the same reasons as Gardevoir, and Corphish because I need some water. When I'm done playing the story I'll go back and breed these properly and stuff.

I haven't transferred anything from Y over yet. I wanted to hold off until I was done.

edit: ORAS spoilers. Don't click if you haven't played or are playing but want to find this for yourself, though you may have already found it.
    Steelixite is in Granite Cave. That's so cool since I think most of us assumed we'd have to do some ridiculous trading for it. Though, it does make the demo seem less significant.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  11. Hayabusa Venomous

I do it to differentiate my team Pokemon from the ones I'm just sticking in the box for inventory.

And also because I'm so damn clever with na-

EXCEPT THIS ONCE

12. 61 No. B

That makes sense. It's just not a feature that ever appealed to me.

13. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I'm having trouble figuring out my team actually. I picked mudkip this time, since I already have Blaziken in X and torchics in pokemon bank, and I'm probably going to do Swellow and Metagross, but after that, I'm not really sure. I'm thinking maybe gallade, so I'll have to figure out how to get the stone for that, and maybe just Latias since you get in the story, but I'm stuck on the last one. What's a good pokemon for my last slot that gives decent coverage?

14. 61 No. B

ORAS notes

SHARPEDO HAS AN OVERWORLD FOR SURF HELL YA. he also swims really fast. almost like a water-bound missile of some kind.
    route 120 is one of my favorite routes in any Pokemon game.
    And I just noticed this, but the night sky with stars reflected in the water is so beautiful. route 120 looks straight magical
    the water in this game just looks so good in general

15. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

it's kinda lame that you have to get your 5th gym badge to start mega evolving

16. 61 No. B

I haven't finished the game yet, so this could change, but one of the things I don't like about the game is how it handled mega evolution. I don't think having to wait to mega evolve is a problem, since it was the same way in xy, but the game is really playing for the people who already know about mega evolution from xy, and does not give an organic explanation in the context of ORAS. It could come later and I'm sure Steven will explain a lot of stuff, but early in the game it talks about mega evolution like everyone already knows what that is, and for a remake of a region that didn't previously have megas, I think that's a mistake.

17. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I kinda understand where that comes from as well. A lot of game from now on will probably just talk about Mega Evolution likes it's just a normal thing, and won't really get too much into it. In X/Y, a bit of your travels was learning about Mega Evolution, but in ORAS, it's more like "Mega Evolution is this huge power that's rare and useful". Kind of a different feel. I just got to Fortree City, and I haven't mega evolved once yet. Oh yeah, no one use Amie and raise the pokemon's heart level. I did it to raise a few pokemon that were underleveled, and now all my pokemon are in their 40's. It feels like the levels were dumbed down a little since Emerald, but it's kind of ridiculous, and I could swear they lowered the amount of trainers as well.

18. 61 No. B

Sea Mauville
    oh my god, those 7 notes. that's got to be the most adult thing in any pokemon game ever. i couldn't believe that i was actually reading notes this neglected kid (i couldn't tell if it was Cozmo or Cozmo's kid) sent to his father who never comes home and whose parents separated in a children's video game. lol. crazy.

edit:
    This game has some uncharacteristically mature overtones of family for a Pokemon game. t's no coincidence that what I mentioned above is in the same game, the only Pokemon game, where you have a father and know him. And then there's that little bit after the credits where you see how your family is a healthy, functioning one. All of this in the same game where your rival is the professors daughter (or son) and we see how their relationship is differs from the others in the game. I want to see if there's more stuff dealing with family in the game, because it's all very interesting and more nuanced than anything I've ever seen in a Pokemon game.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  19. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

so i beat the elite champ and the ending is pretty much like x and y where you have to fight some one at the end , which is may. if anyone care, you cannot gain experience when fighting her.

there are too many references to the past pokemon games. you find people that said that they move from regions like kanto or kalos. i don't think it's annoying but it seem stupid.

20. 61 No. B

I totally disagree. I think referencing other regions is great. It ties the games together and makes them seem like a coherent universe. And this has been a thing for a long time. New games always reference old ones.

So I kinda got too excited and blew through Delta Episode. I wish I didn't. I want to go back and play it again, but not enough to reset my game.

edit: Eon Ticket distribution starts tomorrow. don't forget to take your ds with you everywhere you go now. fun.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014