Law vs Justice

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Xaldin, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaldin ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was quite curious as to people's opinion on these, so which one would you recommend, Law or Justice? Just using an example Scenario as well, to get a point as to why it might not always be law.

If someone killed you're entire family, but you, and you killed them in revenge, that would be Justice towards you. However, if the police caught him, it would just be life in prison, and that would be law, he'd possibly get bailed and be free again, all part of law.

Anyways don't base the discussion entirely on that example scenario, just using it to show a big difference between Law and Justice, and wondering which one would you prefer, or which one is more efficient.

2. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

Thats a hard one. I would have to base it upon what the senario, I think I would go with Law because it is there to protect people. And although it is not always abided by I think that it is followed by the general public. Where as justice I think within the idea of justice you described is more revenge which I don't really feel is right considering that it makes you no better than that person. But really my vote varies depending on the situation that is at hand.

3. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Xaldin, you do realize he wouldn't ever be able to be bailed, right? LOL That's mass homocide. There's no way he'd even get probation. He'd be in federal prison for life. Like Guantanamo Bay, for instance.

Anyway, I don't think either work. Justice appeals more to a personal perspective, yet law is the generic form of punishment that is sometimes never fair to a person or sometimes the person who is accusing another person doesn't feel they are being punished enough. Therefore, I don't think either work.

Even though I think I just contradicted myself.

4. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Justice is also somewhat based on one's individual morals, and thus won't always be the same as someone else's. Some people find an eye for an eye 'justice', others think it's a disaster.

Law on the other hand is meant to try to create a system that will appeal to everyone--which will never be perfect but they try.

I'd say Law works most of the time; it's unfair on occasion, but in these cases it's sometimes impossible to find a way to address it.

5. Zandyne King's Apprentice

What makes this debate difficult in"picking" a side is what people define as justice.

Techincally, for the most part the law does "deliver" justice, unfortunately human emotion doesn't allow for us to feel this is enough so this causes for many to think that the law is unfair.

Slight Tangent: Now enforcement of the law is another matter, there are times when we feel it is not enforced harshly enough (murder, rape, etc.) and then there are times where we feel the law should slide (going past a stop sign in an empty street, etc.).

Back on topic: I think that the law is decent for a tiny bit more than half of the time. -Except when celebrities get the little slap on the wrist, the law should be a bit more EQUAL in that aspect (money is a drop in the bucket for most celebrities, so they should have to compensate with community service instead).

As for the justice aspect, I may want to rip out the guy's throat for what he did to me, but damn me for relating back to cheesy lines "it isn't going to change anything and it's only going to make things worse in the long run".

If there was some way to serve justice without repercussions, hell yes I would pay back that ******* for whatever he did. But until then, I guess we just have to sit on the sides and wish that the jury or judge isn't going to be lax when doling out the decision of the law.

Problem with humans is that we want people to pay for their actions but not all of us are ready to actually pay our own dues.

(Edits: Holy crap I was stoned when I typed this.)

6. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

I choose personel justice, truthfully. The governent tries ke a system that is beneficial for everyone, but it never is. It's filled with loopholes and ugly endings that hurts more people then it helps. We all make mistakes sometimes, but people getting arrested for things they either have not done or they did but were very minor crimes, that's when law becomes unfair. Not to mention, laws are a restriction. I hate resrictions. They truthfully only slow you down and make yu stop before you reach your full potential.

See now, I beleive that law and government, well it shouldn't even exist. I'm not sure if that makes me an anarchist or not...but yeah. Law is needed to keep the country in check, without it there'd be chaos, but in the world wasn't a bunch of dumbasses and had a sense of their own justice, then law would be obsolete and uneeded.

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

with most things, law is fine on paper and in theory. but in real life i dont think ive EVER heard a case where the law has actually worked properly. as the saying goes the law is an ***, and i feel sorry for the police because they (usually) go to a lot of effort to catch criminals and then the stupid courts let them go with some half-baked sentence.
    i mean, pleadin guilty cuts the sentence in half?!? that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard, and then they get out by acting nice in prison. DAMN YOU HUMAN RIGHTS ACT, YOU HAVE DESTROYED THE LAW!!!!!!! [/rant]

8. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i personally believe in "an eye for an eye". so if someone kills ur entire family, they deserve to get hurt rather than just stay in a cage and watch television all day. but i'm sure that SOMEBODY will come here saying "Nothing gives you the right to kill someone, even if they killed someone else." well....in MY opinion, when u kill someone, u give up ur right to not be hurt

9. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

i agree completely, murders dont deserve rights *coughscumcough* but i think suffering for the rest of their lives is better than the easy way out through capital punishment, but thats just my opinion.

basically human rights should only apply to those who earn them ie law abiding citizens. (very general but im tired and dont want to go into more detail)

10. EvilMan_89 Code Master

oooh, finally, someone agrees with that philosophy of mine!

11. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

today, we have lots of law and very little justice, and i think its time for change. theres no point having laws if they arent enforced or law breakers arent adequetely punished, otherwise its just a piece of paper in Whitehall/Washington D.C.

12. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Evilman, Bunterx, that philosephy is seriously screwed up. You kill someone so we kill you? How does that make any sense? That's like using a human life or payment. They can be punished but if you kill then, no matter what they did, you are no better then them. And that's the truth. Death is a cycle, one that will always follow us throughout our lives, murderers quicken this process. They killed someone, yes, but...did you guys ever think maybe that person deserved to die. Eye for an eye will never work, it will only continue the spiral of death, and in the end we will destroy the human race with petty acts of revenge. Or "self defense", or better yet "I felt threatened".

13. EvilMan_89 Code Master

who cares whether ur better than them or not? it's what they deserve, when they killed, they knew exactly what they were doing (unless it was an accident, in which case it would be a different story) so why should they get off easy? and i believe that person DOES deserve to die.

14. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

I never said anyone is better then anyone. I'm saying that eye for an eye is not the right way to face things. They killed someone, yes, they are a murderer, but how the hell are we any better if we kill them? That makes us murderers as well. Do WE deserve to die? Well in your eyes it should. Condemning someone like thatf or killing someone, I understand how it can anger you. It causes unimaginable pain and it ends the life of a person with dreams and hopes, friends and family to mourn them. And theyare messed up people, people that deserve the rott in hell should there be one. But seriously, just killing them? Capitol punishment, a lifetime of confinement, that is torture. Sometimes it will make you WISH you were dead. A lifetime of torture is far worse then 5 seconds of lethal injection. Yes, they deserve many things, but don't give them that satisfaction.

15. EvilMan_89 Code Master

but by killing them, other ppl's lives may be saved becuz they wont' be able to hurt anyone ever again. that's the most important reason why we should kill them. but it seems like neither of us are willing to budge on this topic, i don't think either of us will techically "win" this arguement, it's so open ended like the topic of "abortion"

16. Zandyne King's Apprentice

I have no idea who this specific person is, so I won't comment on it directly.

Now as for your point of "getting what they deserved", should we start with you? I do not mean this in the muder context. But in your previous 'eye for an eye' context.

Have you honestly done nothing wrong in your life? Have you ever consciously lied (maliciously, 'little lies', etc.), knowingly cheated (test, game, etc.), stolen (material goods, credit, etc.) or harmed someone on ANY level (emotionally, physically,etc.)?

If you answer 'no', don't f*ing kid yourself.

If you answer 'yes', shall we start taking your 'eye' first before moving onto your own vendettas? For every single lie you have dished out, you should be lied to equally, for every single time you've cheated you should be cheated on, for everything you have stolen, you should have something of personal equal value to you stolen, for every single harmful action you have done to someone, you should be dealt equal.

By saying "they deserve it" regardless of the reasons WHY they did it, you're being rather hypocritical. I'm not trying to justify murder, but people rarely do anything without alterior motive. Case and point, your anger towards the murderer is making you become a murderer. Now don't you feel a lot better now that we're identified the problem of your philosophy? Even better, if we were to follow your 'idea' you're inviting for someone to 'justifiably' kill you, which as Cin has already pointed out is just the start of an endless cycle.

Off-topic: By the way, if we are literally going by rules of 'deserve' Evilman, I should be typing something like "omfg tse mrdrs haf emtcnz 2!11 lyk u r dum 4 tking lyk tat111" to respond to you instead of actually trying to create proper sentences with real words.
    (Harhar, I sound like a complete and utter *******.)

If you're going to go on about "possible this" and "possible that" then we should all live on isolated islands. Do you have any idea how easy it is for a person to die? And do you have any inkling on how people tend to SUSPECT people who were murderers?

Actually do you have any idea what happens when you go to prision?

And no arguement is ever won, there will always be at least one person who will refuse to believe in the 'winning' side.

Off-topic: Abortion is only as open-ended as you allow it to be. I will stop there, there is already an abortion thread elsewhere.

17. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

thats not what i meant, im not saying if they kill kill them, thats sinking to their level and noone would get anywhere. i mean giving them a severe sentence such as rotting in jail forever, and not a nice jail say a hole in the ground. sorry if there was any misunderstanding

18. EvilMan_89 Code Master

dude, just becuz u disagree with me doesn't mean u should resort to personal attacks. there's no need for that. and it just makes u look less intelligent trying to win an arguement like this with personal insults. i'm being civil so dont' start coming up to me with F words and personal attacks

19. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Evilman, there were no personal "attacks" in there. Calm down

20. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i'm calm, he/she was the one who obviously wasn't calm when they were typing this. but i hate when ppl talk about my typing, it's JUST to save time. and there was no need to use F words. and he didn't even support his arguement with any good evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.