Literate Beans

Discussion in 'Forum Families' started by Chevalier, May 28, 2012.

1. Chevalier Crystal Princess

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Welcome to Literate Beans!
    PotS and PanS|Book Club

[​IMG] Rules

• All rules of KH-Vids.Net apply: Even though this is a family in and of itself, it is still on KH-Vids, and is still held to the same standards as the rest of the site.

• Advertising your work is fine and encouraged, however, do not repeatedly post for someone to read it in a short amount of time. If no one in the family has responded within at least a week to it, you may feel free to post it once more to get some feedback. Remember that others are working on their own work or doing other things too, so people can miss things easily – just because people don’t reply to you it doesn’t mean they don’t like you or whatever, they’re probably just busy or doing other things.

• Real life matters an exception, it is appreciated if you try to maintain a regular posting schedule in the family. Just as actual families cannot rely solely on one person to support the whole, Literate Beans will need the dedication and time from all of its participants – be they founders or not.

• The success of this family also relies on an open mind and a positive attitude, therefore please do not argue with other members about their ideas on subjects or critique. If you would like to debate a little about certain things as part of café sessions that is perfectly fine, and in fact coming to a better understanding about such topics is a place where debate is effective, but please do not let it descend into bickering or slander between parties. If this happens, it could result in a warning, and successive times and result in removal from the group.

• In addition, please remember that those who choose not to join this group are in no way inferior to those who do. Entry to this group is free to all, so just because a person isn’t in the group does not mean they are lesser in skill or enthusiasm. Therefore, any signs of elitism on the part of members in the group towards members outside of it, or towards other members in it, will result in a warning, followed by an instant removal from the group if it happens again.

Have fun! Literate Beans is supposed to be a chilled place for you to relax and talk with fellow writers and readers. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a fresh cup of digital coffee. <3

[​IMG] Members
    Code:
    Username :

Family Member/Title : 

Personality : 

Literary Arts Specialty :

Anything else you'd like to share? :

Literate Beans In-Depth Literate Beans is a family for writers, readers, and anyone else interested in the literary arts to discuss their passion and work with others of a similar mindset. This can be their own productions, influences upon them, literature that has stood out in their lives, and other such ideas.

The main objective is to encourage a healthy, casual group in which people can discuss ideas, influences and current projects with one another, creating a fun community in which people can share ideas and wisdom, with the occasional bouts of japery and silliness.

In this thread, you may post links to your work in the Writer's Nook (or any of its subsections) in order to get feedback from fellow family members, with a more critical eye than you might get otherwise if you so desire. Furthermore, there will be a myriad of events available to members and non-members alike of the Literate Beans family, listed below:

I. Cafe Sessions
    II. Prose of the Season/Poetic ars Nova Season
    III. Book Club

The goal of this family is not only to bring together individuals with a similar passion for literature and writing, but also to establish greater activity in the sections about it, stimulate thoughtful, rounded discussion and critique and promote literary activities on the site.

What are Café Sessions? Café Sessions are – in basic terms – a round table discussion of one particular facet of Writing or Literature. Topics will range from creating interesting characters and settings, to using imagery and “tools of the tradeâ€, and from analyzing texts and the importance of critical reading to spotting, identifying and using tropes.

These discussions will, hopefully, be a fun and engaging way to get to know other writers, exchange opinions about literature and writing, and also improve our knowledge of literary theory and skill as writers in general.

The important part about these sessions is that they are an open floor to discuss opinions – and new opinions and insights about writing and reading are encouraged.

Topics will, at first, be chosen by us, but as we progress people will be able to suggest new topics they want to discuss with the group, skills they want to hone, or general interests.

Discussions will last 15 days before a new one is started, however that does not mean that discussion cannot continue once a new discussion begins, and in fact we’d like to encourage those who enjoy and want to continue discussion to do so.

The end goal is to develop a better understanding of literature and creative writing through discussion, like a tutorial and with the end result being a resource which can be used to help people struggling with that particular theme.

Why should you join? Literate Beans is a collection of people who have a keen interest in the literary arts, and therefore, those who become members will be able to interact more closely with people of a similar mindset, in addition to discussing ideas thoughtfull and in great depth.

The Café Sessions will not only open a wide range of literary discussion, but they'll also be a good way to earn post count with legitimate and thought-provoking discussion

In addition, members who are part of the family are able to ask for feedback for recent work, in effect advertising in the thread. The idea here is that you will be able to ask for a deeper level of criticism for your work from the group, if you’re looking for it.

In addition to this, you will be able to have a say on when activities such as PotS, PanS and the Book Club will take place. This is to ensure that we have a base of people who actually want to take part in the contest, instead of what has been happening more recently when there has been little to no participation. Using this system, we can put control in the hands of the people who want to be part of the contests, and they can control when they want it.

Those who are part of the family can also suggest improvements and adjustments to the way that things are run in the Literature and Nook sections. This could include, but not be limited to, suggestions for contests, changes to policy in that area etc. Not being a part of the family doesn’t prevent this sort of feedback, but it will be an ideal forum in which to discuss how these changes could affect the more active participants in the sections.

We'll also be adding many more benefits in the future for everyone in the family to enjoy, so you have nothing to lose by joining if you're an active member who loves literature and/or writing!

2. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

We've been planning this for a while, and I'm really excited that it's finally here :D.

Username: Clawtooth

Family Member/Title: The Eloquent One [name subject to change ... I'm fairly new to this]

Personality: How does one sum up one's own personality? I like to think I'm a fun person to talk to, with a good sense of wit ... and I also like to think I'm empathic towards other people ... but I guess this is also subject to change.

Literary Arts Specialty: My speciality is in words and their meaning, semantics if you will. I'm fascinated by volcabulary, connotations of words, symbolism, imagery, metaphor. I'm also a big fan of all kinda of literature, ranging from Young Adult to Classics, and from Fantasy, to Dystopian, to High Society and Gothic literature of the Victorian Period. Combined with the fact that I'm undergoing a Master's Degree in English Language and Literature at Edinburgh University starting in September, I guess I'm a veritable wellspring of knowledge ^^.

Anything else you'd like to share?:
    I'm a founding member, so if you have any queries, feel free to ask me ^^.

I'M SO EXCITED GUYS YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!

3. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

Username: Judge Sunrose

Family Member/Title: The Horizon Watcher (or something like that)

Personality: Uhm, I've always been a shy person, ever since I recall, but socially, this doesn't seem to be the case. I like thinking a lot with myself, that I can assure you. Most people find me weird for, what, thinking in odd ways I suppose? Perhaps because I don't fall into the common sense? Nah, maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

Literary Arts Specialty: Verse, yes. Prose, not really. I write some poems, though I'm more of a lazy/intermittent writer. Other than that, when talking about technical aspects of the language, Etymology catches my interest, as I tend to use, not only in poetry, the words' original meaning as well as their current one. Additionally, I'm a wannabe grammarian, always correcting my friends and teachers. I'm quite surprised no one's ever punched me for doing that repeatedly... Oh, forgot to mention, english is not my first language, so do bear with me, alright?

Anything else you'd like to share?: Not here for the "earn post count", seriously. I've been meaning to participate in the PanS ever since I joined (what happened, anyway?). Also, some of my work is either inlfuenced by, or has something from KIngdom Hearts. "Make your own stuff up, newb!"

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

Username: Plums

Family Title: The Ordinate Orchard

Personality: Uhm, I like to think I'm somewhat fun to talk to. My sense of humor is, how should I say, ridiculous. I'm pretty empathetic (to an extent at times), and enjoy talking to new people, despite being shy most of the time. ;~; Oh, also when my interests come up I tend to lose all sense of grammar and devolve into fEELijngfgs.

Liberal Arts Specialty: Hmmm, I think my specialty, if anything, is my Grammar Base. I usually end up still having typos myself, but a good majority of the time, I'm able to catch them as I'm writing and correct them, and can also spot the pretty quickly in other people's work(s). Beyond that, I'm more Prose inclined, and tend to skate on having my work saturated (sometimes too much) with metaphor and imagery. I've also started to dabble in alternative methods of story telling (flash animations, visual novels, music, etc.), so there is a (good) chance I will be using some of that in my stories in the future.

Anything Else?: I am also a founder along with Claw, Chev and Star, and wish you all do really enjoy yourselves. We've been putting this together over the past few months, and I am so excited this is finally here. :D

5. Llave Superless Moderator

Username: Llave de Espada (Hyperion)

Family Title: Double Entendre

Personality: Ehm, I suppose my person is rather laid back. Most of the time I just like having fun, and my humor is oft' very dry, something many don't really get most of the time. But I enjoy people, and learning. I want to learn as much as I can, because I love knowing how things work or why things are given certain phrases, et cetera.

Literary Arts Specialty: Well, I confess I am nowhere near the mark in terms of writing, and I usually read pretty slow... But it's still something that interests me. If I had to pinpoint my specialties, I would say witticism mostly. If anything, I like hidden meanings within things and such. I also enjoy older forms of writing such as Shakespeare, but that's really not a specialty. Oh I do like the etymology of words, but again that's not really something special hahaa.

Anything else you'd like to share?: I dunno how well I will be at being in this group, but I really love to discuss things with others, and learn more about terms and writing in general. It seems very fun, and I have always had an interest in English and Literature in general, but I don't think I myself could ever write a book. (Unless I illustrated it lol.)

6. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Username : Kingdom Hearts530 (Heart)

Family Member/Title : The Little Sister

Personality : I'm a pretty quiet person and I tend to lurk more then post but I have some really close friends I think of as my siblings *points to sig*

Literary Arts Specialty : Reading and writing- I like Poems <3

Anything else you'd like to share? : *pokes Plums*

7. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Username : Loxare

Family Member/Title : Lively Entity

Personality : Quiet when in the company of strangers but animated with friends and family, Loxare keeps herself to herself. She is more likely to hide a hurt than to announce it, often to the detriment of her health. She has decided to write this in third person because Literate Beans is a writing family and she damn well can.

Literary Arts Specialty : A reader since an early age, Loxare is better at reading than writing. That doesn't stop her however, and once in a while, one of her incomplete works makes its' way onto the internet. She despises poems, mostly due to the fact that she isn't a very subtle person.

Anything else you'd like to share? : Loxare loves third person writing but is willing to use first person should the need arise.

8. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

Username : AndrewTemari101

Family Member/Title : That Sweet Kid

Personality : Hm... I'd say I'm outgoing and eager to make new friends. I like things to always be happy, some form of good energy, nothing mean or nasty. I like things to be simple and organized

Literary Arts Specialty : Erm, I don't really have a specialty I guess, but if I had to think of something... probably my poetry and narrative stories.

Anything else you'd like to share? : Glad to be a part of the family~ ^~^

9. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Username : Cat~ (Cat<3 Sora)

Family Member/Title : That Creative Cat

Personality : I'm far more open on the net then I usually am in real life, but I'm fairly creative and I try to get along with everyone. We may disagree and that's okay; we all have our own opinions and that's fine. I try to think outside the box, though I'm fairly crappy at improvising. People have judged and made fun of me for the things that I like, so I try my best not to be that way with anyone.

Literary Arts Specialty : This is a toughie. If I had to pick a specialty (or more because I'm indecisive) it'd have to involve poetry in some way, shape or form. I'm also fairly decent with grammar, spelling and eloquence, along with fanfiction, though I don't know what category that would go under (maybe ruining the amazing works that they're based on? lol).

Anything else you'd like to share? : I'd love to see PotS and PanS up and running again (I'd been meaning to enter the former, but it sort of died before I ever got the chance) and help with them in some way (maybe as a judge, maybe in coming up with a theme). I can have long creative blocks, but I tend to bounce back from the ones dealing with writing fairly quickly.

I look forward to speaking with you all.

10. Pinekaboo Chaser

Username : DarkTraitor

Family Member/Title : Captain Ambiguous.

Personality : I tend to be fairly quiet on the forums, as well as real life, which is probably why I enjoy writing, and to a slightly lesser extent, reading. I'm also terrible at describing myself.

Literary Arts Specialty : If we're talking what I tend to write, fiction, specifically of a sci-fi/high fantasy genre. If we're talking what I'm good at, it's characters. Anything to do with characters, from maintaining many at once without favouring one unintentionally, or general characterisation.

Anything else you'd like to share? : My weakness is definitely in fleshing stories out. I tend to speed through a plot fairly quickly, when I feel like it needs more bulk to it.

11. Ability King KK Twilight Town Denizen

Username: Ability King KK

Title: ...I don't think I have one.

Personality: Quiet and reserved.

Literary Arts Specialty: I'm good at writing humor and adventure. I am also good at writing crossovers.

Anything else you'd like to share?: Not that I know of.

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Username : tale_wind

Family Member/Title : The Grammar Nazi

Personality : I tend to be outgoing and cheerful (not as much in reality, though, sadly) but can be very caustic when I want to be, and even when it's not my intent.

Literary Arts Specialty : I have a tendency to spontaneously generate ideas, no matter how brilliant or vomit-inducing. I am also good at spotting grammatical errors and avoiding them in my own writing.

Anything else you'd like to share? : I need work with planning stories thoroughly to the end, and also keeping a writing schedule. Also, corgies are adorable.

13. Sumi suicidé

Username : Sumi

Family Member/Title : Anxiously Rotting Corpse

Personality : Indeterminable.

Literary Arts Specialty : Figurative language and run-on sentences, I suppose? I write decent poetry sometimes. This question is harder than it looks. . _ .

Anything else you'd like to share? : I can't fill out forms.

14. LostMemory Destiny Islands Resident

Username : LostMemory

Family Member/Title : Materia Hunter

Personality : Uhm, I don't know. xD I'm a ninja, a ninja master, to be exact, so I guess that makes me awesome? :Awesome: Haha... ha... *cough* Well, I'm just a tad bit eccentric, a Slytherin, I'm always obsessed with something, and I don't know why I'm not in an asylum yet. I'm a narf. That's the word! A crazy genius.

Literary Arts Specialty : I was always ahead of my class on grammar when I was in primary school, (if you're a Grammar Nazi, then excuse the fact that I always tend to put a comma before the word "and"; it's a habit! XD) and I guess that's expanded to vocabulary as well. I don't generally show it, but if I'm writing a story then I tend to use a lot of ginormous words. 8D Apart from that, I'd say my main specialty is writing stories in first-person; I've always found it to be a most interesting writing style, and it's been a long time since I've wrote with another style.

Anything else you'd like to share? : Not really. I'm a ninja, and er... I like trains? 8D

15. Feenie Finny, Fin of the Feenie Fish

Username : Mammaries Tomoe (AKA, Feenie)

Family Member/Title : Fictional Pet Fish

Personality : I see myself as a sensible person. I take just about everything extremely seriously, sometimes a bit too seriously. I'm also usually a very quiet person and I prefer to keep to myself, though I do enjoy partaking in group discussions and such. My main problem though is that I'm exceedingly socially awkward, and I really can't keep a conversation up for very long. On the flip side to most things above, I suspect I might be bi-polar, so I tend to get moody kinda easily. Also, I like to ramble. Did you notice?

Literary Arts Specialty : Hmm, not too sure on 'speciality(s) really. I tend to notice spelling and grammar mistakes easily, whether it be in my own work or the work of others. I guess I could also include the fact that I am a speed reader. Also, I tend to go WAY overboard on descriptions of certain things, like characters, events that take place, etc. And finally, my writing seems to be at its best in the Third Person Perspective. I'm not so good with First Person, and don't even get me started on Second Person :/

Anything else you'd like to share? : I need to improve on my long time writing ability, because I seem get writer's block every five seconds :/
    Similarly, I need to brush up on maintaining the tone of a story throughout chapters and whatnot.

16. Krowley Moderator

Username : Krowley

Family Member/Title
    : Mr. Krowley

Personality : Not very revealed unless contacted or brought into social perspective.

Literary Arts Specialty : I enjoy writing Fantasy and Fiction. I find myself writing mainly medieval, dark, and at times, children stories. My grammar is above par when my keyboard isn't disobeying me. Part of writing I enjoy most is Character development and Plot twists. The characters themselves have an extended background and a plot turn makes things that much more interesting. On occasion I do small bits of poetry. I find myself more content with the rhyming scheme than writing more meaningful pieces. Though working on emotional pieces is not always my cup of tea, I may give it a go if requested.

Anything else you'd like to share? : I found myself writing more and more recently with thoughts on new literary projects I wish to pursue. I think this family will be excellent inspiration for accomplishing it.

17. Chevalier Crystal Princess

So I got a question from our lovely and edible Llave. He asked what we could discuss in this thread. And basically, we can discuss anything you guys want casually (Cafe sessions being the exception) the idea of this family is to foment writing. It doesn't have to be expert level literary work. Just writing as something we do everyday.

You can request CnC, you can converse, you can talk about anything really. But it's a very interesting question and we can all work towards finding more and more purposes for our family.

18. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, one major thing I can think of is trying to get help. If someone's stuck on a story or poem and wants some outside assistance, this would probably be a good place to get it (from like-minded individuals who will sincerely try their best).

And I'll go ahead and be the first person to ask for some CnC on this. It's just a short little thing I came up with at school and I'd really like to see what you all think of it.

19. Misty gimme kiss

May as well.
    Username: Misty

Family Member/Title: The Tomboyish Mermaid

Personality: Difficult to define, by me and, presumably, others. Best understood from experience. c;

Literary Arts Specialty: Probably not much. I've not really dedicated myself to writing as I would like, nor reading. Hoping to change that, though. However, I do like to read and assess others' pieces, and The Elements of Style is one of my favorite books? :v
    My technical level of the English language is moderate at best, but I do love proofreading, and I've been told that my comments on friends' papers are helpful. So yeah. Going to do my best, haha.

Anything else you'd like to share?: I hope no one takes this form as reflective of my writing abilities. :v Given how much time it took me to turn out such few words, though, it may not be too far.​
    Cat, I don't have the time to take a look now but I will when I next come online. c:

20. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Would you like feedback here, or the actual thread?