Support Looking for PC build advice

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Misty, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Misty gimme kiss

I know we have a few system builders here, figured it wouldn't hurt to post up a thread.

My laptop is dying a slow heat death and I'm planning to replace it with a custom built PC. I know how to build a PC and know a fair bit about specing out a build. I'm comfortable with $600 as my budget, give or take a little. I don't need an OS because I can get Windows free through my school, but I would like to get a monitor (I have one already that I use as a second display for my laptop when at my desk, but obviously switching to a desktop would mean losing my laptop's display and I've gotten mighty used to a two-screen setup).

I have other peripherals already (keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, microphone, the whole shebang). I do need a wireless card too. I was going to add an optical drive but I can probably snag one from the four broken computers laying around my job (I'm pretty sure there's a SATA one somewhere that I can clean up). I know you can install an OS from USB but I like making mix CDs because I never really moved on from 2005.

I'm not planning to do much beyond light gaming on here. I already don't get to play my PS4 enough. The most will be older games (Mass Effect, probably, and ancient games that I can run even on my ~3 year old laptop) and indies. I'm not expecting 1080p 60fps AAA gaming, hence the 750Ti. I do do some audio stuff and video stuff currently on my laptop and it runs okay, so I imagine it'll run fine on this build (even if I could benefit from a beefier system, I just don't have the $$$). For this reason I went with AMD because I'll be using some applications that take advantage of multi-core processors.

Blah blah blah enough talking here's my part list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Belkin F9L1001 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: LG 23MP57HQ-P 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $633.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 20:41 EDT-0400

I've posted on /r/buildapc and was just advised to switch the PSU (I originally had a Corsair CX500). I'll be buying over the next few weeks, keeping an eye out for sales & what have you. If y'all have any advice, please do let me know!

2. Hayabusa Venomous

YAY I LOVE THESE

A few things:
    • you don't specifically need a wireless card; there are many USB adapters, which I use, for cheaper. I get ~40Mbps just fine with my WiFi using this (though looking at your PC Part Picker link, you did this anyway)
    • going with a 700 series card in a new card is kinda...odd to me personally, but the 750 Ti works fine if you can't find something akin to a 960 for under $160. I have a 960 with 4GB that I've enjoyed (only got it because it was a good discount at the time) and the energy rate and temps have been great, and I'm getting graphics equivalent or even better than PS4 versions of games (like in The Phantom Pain) but that depends on optimization.
    • if at all possible, add an SSD with at least 120GB. Having used one for over 4 months now, the speed difference is just too good, and it's really good to have two drives: one for programs and the OS, another for everything else. This is what I'm running. Got mine for I believe $70?
    • never heard of Team Elite for RAM, but it looks fine.
    • for longevity, add liquid cooling or at the very least some fans if you can fit them. It helps in making parts last years longer.
    BTW, think up computer names now ;>

3. Misty gimme kiss

Oh yeah I say wireless card out of habit, I'd just get a USB adapter.
    If I wasn't already a bit over budget I'd consider stepping up the GPU but the 750Ti is still a really respected card as I understand it. Like I said I'm not really planning to do much of any PC gaming. If I do one day decide to start, I'd upgrade to a better one.
    SSD would be the first upgrade I'd plan! This list is like, what I need to get up and running (plus the monitor I guess). Probably a few paychecks down the line I'd drop in an SSD when I catch a good deal on one.
    Yup, I plan to replace the stock heatsink when I see a good deal on a cooler.
    Oh god I hate this I'm terrible at naming things

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Misty's Totally Awesome Computer

5. Hayabusa Venomous

Yeah, I have a friend who has the 750 and loves it still, so you're all good there for what you're playing. Life is Strange will look great ;>

What I do: use the color (or synonym of the color) of your computer case, and stick a noun (such as an animal) onto the end. Basically, Pacific Rim Jaeger / Metal Gear Solid code name style.

6. Misty gimme kiss

Bruh I got that PS4 season pass
    I haven't played my PS4 in ages though, full-time student + part-time job is hell. ;c

Part of me is really tempted to name it Knives Chau but that's weird right? It's weird.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nah. There's really no such thing as weird. ;)

A bit off topic, but anything we say is weird, gross, etc. is only because we perceive it to be that way. Garbage involving things like rotting food, not just paper and such, is a good example--we say it's gross, but technically it's not. We've just perceived it to be gross all these years. :)

8. Misty gimme kiss

I bought my first part today! I found a 7950 on sale for $112 which is a fair bit newer / more powerful than a 750Ti and cheaper than the one I had picked out. Going to be buying the rest over the next two weeks (looking for deals and ****).

9. Hayabusa Venomous

Very nice job getting that 7950 for such a low price. Which brand and model is it?

I'll see if I can help scope out what I can with you.

10. Misty gimme kiss

/r/buildapcsales got me covered
    Here's where I bought the card: http://gpushack.com/collections/all-gpus-for-sale/products/his-iceq-hd-7950-boost?ref=his
    Never heard of HIS but all good reviews from what I saw, and gpuShack has a good rep. I am a little concerned about space since I'm doing a Micro ATX build but I checked my case reviews and they said it shouldn't be an issue (it may make cable management tough but there's no side window so no huge pressure to have it beautiful).

It looks like EVGA is having a sale on their PSUs, gonna have a look at that

11. Hayabusa Venomous

I've also never seen that brand, but if others are saying it's good, I'm not worried.

UPDATE:

Found a discounted PSU with 1000 Watts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  12. Misty gimme kiss

I finished my build [a while ago]! I put together a little build diary here

( quietly tags @Hayabusa )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  13. Hayabusa Venomous

That's a good camera. And nice job showing the extra thermal paste.

I didn't think the 212 would look so...big. I think it's just the blocky style.

How's the Radeon GPU working out for you so far? I basically stick with Nvidia when it comes to those, but mostly because of history and the efficiency. I've loved my 960 since I got it.

And before I forget KNIVES <3

14. Misty gimme kiss

I love my camera. It's a Sony NEX-3N. Bought it used for something like $230, some of the best money I've ever spent. I've taken some real nice photos with it.
    Dude I can't tell you what a mess I made. I thought I was being overly cautious laying down the cardboard to work on but I'm so glad I did. The photos of my hand don't show how bad it was, if only because I had to wash them at least ten times through the process. I don't know how I accomplished it. I had to lotion my hands up for the next like four or five days.

I got some on my rug, too. That wasn't fun to clean out.
    It's massive. Aesthetically I... don't really dig it. My case doesn't have a window so it's no big d, but I didn't expect it to be this large either.
    I only just installed Steam today and the only games I own on it are from that Star Wars Humble Bundle ages back ;( I'll tell you when I do get to use it lol