Lost a Friend....

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by -Xero-, Apr 17, 2013.

1. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

I think I just lost a really good friend today…. I told someone something that they really should’ve had the right to know… Because it was wrong what my friend was doing… And when the person I told confronted my friend about the whole situation my friend got really mad at me… He began blaming me for his actions…
    I told him “Don’t get mad at me for something you did. I didn’t do anything. I was only the messenger.” I didn’t know that I would be losing a friend… If I did know… Then I would’ve just kept my mouth shut…

I've lost a few friends before in my life... But I don't know what I'll do if I do lose this friend... He's really pissed at me... I've been feeling guilty about the whole thing... really guilty... My friends said that I did the right thing but why do I still feel this way...? I just feel horrible... I don't know what to do anymore...

It's kind of confusing too... because today at school he was really depressed because his dog had died the same day all the things I just said happened (which was yesterday)... I was pretty much with him the whole class period trying to comfort him and he didn't seem to mind... But when I asked him if he was still mad he said that he was... So I don't really know...

I've been really depressed about the whole thing for the past two days and I just don't know what to think anymore...

2. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

Well I suppose telling that other person was definitely not the best decision. It would have been better to have confronted him yourself if you felt he was doing wrong. Since he's a good friend of yours, having you talk to him about it may have been best. However, we all make mistakes and you were just concerned for him. So don't feel so guilty =)
    The other person shouldn't have confronted him without at least mentioning it to you, though. That wasn't the best decision on their part.
    If your friend is still talking to you, he can't be mad enough to not be your friend anymore.
    Being that he recently lost his dog, he has a lot on his mind at the current time. Just be there for him when he needs comforting as you were in class.
    Friends get mad at each other, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your friendship is over. Just apologize for what happened with " I'm sorry about the other day. I should have kept it to myself and I've learned from mistake. I understand if you are mad but I don't want to lose you as a friend."
    I'm sure it will pass if you two are really close. Getting upset over something small shouldn't be the cause of losing a friend. He'll realize that.

Don't beat yourself up about it =)
    Things will turn around for the better. Every friendship will have some argument be it small or big.

I wish the very best for you and your friend.

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I'm sorry, i'll just be blunt about it, you shouldn't feel bad over losing this friend if he was doing something wrong like that in the first place. You made the right choice (I'm assuming as you didn't give clear details as to what happened) and your other friends even told you that. Stick with them. If this one wants to get mad and end a mutual friendship then I say let him. I'm sorry his dog died and all that, but he shouldn't have put you in that kind of situation.

But, for reference, when something like this comes along (unless it's really really serious) I turn my head and pretend I don't know a thing. It would have came back on him sooner or later anyway.

You have no reason to feel guilty if you did the right thing. Don't feel down over losing a "friend" that puts you in a situation like this. You have your other friends.

And if he really is/was your friend, he'd get over it.

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Taking the matter into your own hands was hasty. If you'd been able to convince him to confess whatever he'd done, that would be ideal. Sadly, that is not always possible. I would say at the very least you should've warned him that you couldn't keep it a secret, and that it was going to bite him in the end. But what's done is done, and you had the best of intentions. At any rate, his reaction was far worse. You held him accountable because you're his friend, not in spite of it, am I right? You wouldn't want your friend to fall into bad habits, or to hurt someone. Well, his response was to hurt you. That's unfair. It always stings to think you might be losing a friend, but you definitely shouldn't feel guilty. He has as much to apologize for, and more.

All that said, if he's still willing to talk to you and allow you to comfort him, don't call him lost yet. Give it time, let him cool down and find a good opportunity to talk to him. If you agree that you were hasty, then you can apologize for that, but if you still think he did wrong, then stand firm. Don't compromise just to keep a friend. Because that's a slippery slope, and it may lead to him becoming someone you don't want to be friends with anymore. Just try not to rush things; nobody's going anywhere in a hurry. Let it all come out as naturally and as calmly as you can manage.

5. Xalxe Merlin's Housekeeper

hmmm sometimes if you want a friend back, you have to swallow your pride an say im sorry even if you didnt do anything. and it could be worse, you could only have two friends like me. i really cant give much advice about this so sorry but keep strong pal.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

I disagree with this. If you have to apologize to someone to be friends again, then they were never real friends to begin with.