Mafia [Mafia] The Masquerade in Salem ~ GAME OVER (MAFIA WINS)

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Ars Nova, Mar 12, 2014.

1. TwilightBlader Child of the Sun

This was quite fun...for the one day I was a part of...

...I have no regrets about what I did...it was worth it

#yolo

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Roles and Night logs are up. Will now begin working on play commentary. If anyone wants to opt-out, now's your last chance to tell me.

3. cstar stay away from my waifu

ahahahaha **** no I'm all set.[DOUBLEPOST=1401217186][/DOUBLEPOST]actually you know what nevermind I won't opt out but I s2g if there is a lot of repeat commentary because of me I'm going to scream.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. 61 No. B

wait what

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This.

EXPLAAAAAAIN.jpg

6. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I asked if anyone liked the idea of me assessing everyone's performance during the game to help them learn what they did well and what could use work, and the response was generally positive. Anyone who doesn't want to be a part of it need only tell me—or I can call it off if people aren't comfortable with it as a whole. It's not meant to be super-serious or anything.

7. 61 No. B

OH im so used to listening to commentary podcasts i was like wtf is he talking about. but yeah i remember now sorry. will not opt out.

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Yeah, I'm fine with that~

9. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

TA-DAAAAHHHH

Town
    Ahh, newbie Town. Beginners are always prone to disunity in the beginning... Hell, people who've played it for years still mislynch frequently (or fail to lynch at all). Point of order, that's supposed to happen; it's the Town's handicap. In spite of this, you showed pluck and stuck to your guns even in trying circumstances. There may have been a lot of friendly fire, but don't let that discourage you; your aim will improve with time. Remember to put pressure on people who refuse to speak, or who only chime in to defend themselves from criticism—More often than not, people who are willing to put themselves out there and talk are more likely to be Town than the lurkers, because Town know they're innocent and thus are rarely as afraid of making mistakes as Mafia. Many of you have the foundations for cunning players, and all you're lacking is the experience to build upon that foundation. I hope to see more of you if and when I run future games.

. : tale_wind
    A fair performance for a first game. Wasn't afraid to point fingers, and responded well to votes on him by voicing his own suspicions and casting votes. He did fluffpost a little bit, but not so much as to be self-destructive; every game begins with a fair share of light-hearted banter.

basilissa Princess ♥ TheWorldThatNeverWas
    Boy, this slot saw a lot of action, didn't it? I kind of corralled basilissa into playing, and later she found the game too nerve-wracking to participate properly, so she asked to be replaced; Luxord on the other hand was put in a difficult spot when the identities of the Mafia were accidentally revealed to him. As a result he drew a lot of aggro for being quiet and dismissing suspicions—both valid reasons to vote for someone, but they just happened to be well-intentioned in this case. I would've much preferred he came forward with the information right away so that I could make the necessary arrangements, but it is what it is. No lasting harm done. NeverWas, bless her heart, came in at a terrible time and had to fight tooth-and-nail for survival, and she did the best anyone could expect. Thanks for being a good sport, hon ;D

Bite the Dust
    I am SHOCKED that he didn't get offed sooner, honestly. But aside from jumping the gun on his claim, he made good use of his new lease on life and actually managed to protect someone! (That's not sarcastic, the Doctor's power is VERY hard to aim correctly.) He did his part for the Town and deserves his share of accolades.

burnitup
    Not... a huge help. To put it diplomatically. Didn't prioritize the game by his own admission, and "You're voting for the wrong person" is historically one of the worst ways to defend yourself, since only you can be sure of your own alignment (barring Cop results). Not to mention it was rare to see him explain the reasoning for any of his votes.

Cat~
    Went a liiiittle heavy on the fluff in the beginning. Talking about metagame and Mafia mindsets has its place, but it's also a very safe thing to talk about at length, because it looks meaningful but doesn't require NEARLY the same level of commitment as voting and scumhunting (For those who don't know, that means pointing fingers, dissecting arguments, trying to find Mafiosi basically). Though generally shy about casting votes, she chipped in when it counted.

Cstar
    CSTAR I THOUGHT YOU'VE PLAYED THIS GAME BEFORE YOU SHOULD KNOW THERE'S NEVER A REASON TO NO LYNCH. Ahem. Pardon me, I have a terrible cough. In all seriousness though, good game. She put her opinions out there and knew how to apply pressure with her vote, which is essential as a vanilla Townie; the vote is your one and only weapon, and if you refuse to use it then you will be bested.

DigitalAtlas
    Played a damn good game, then... stopped playing it. Hate to break it to you man, but once you're a priority target it ain't that easy to shake the heat off you. Thankfully he picked up on that later and teamed up with Below to hunt down suspects, which was a solid play since Below had confirmed his alignment early on.

Hyuge
    Ahh... Hyuge, Hyuge, Hyuge. The one person I might say went a little crazy on the scumhunting. Tunnelvision can be a dangerous thing, as we discovered, but it wasn't necessarily that she did anything wrong; just, went a little hard in the paint on one suspect at a time, is all. Better to hedge your bets in a game like this.

Krowley
    Uh... Well... Hm. Pretty much the same comments as burnitup, I guess. Like I said, it's hard to trust someone when all they will say is "You should trust me."

Marushi
    Her participation was welcome and helpful, but she was quite shy with her vote. Voting is not dangerous until someone you think is Town (NOT someone you don't think is Mafia) is about to be lynched; until then, voting is a valuable tool to force discussion and debate. That said, she did throw in her lot frequently in the endgame, and her shyness may have prevented several mislynches at that stage.

Senpai
    Eh... Hard to critique the early deaths. Unfortunately the nature of the game means a few people are gonna get screwed over, but if no one was willing to chance that, then the game couldn't be played. Her lack of contribution is due more to her short lifespan than anything else, I think.

skull joke ☆ MVP ☆
    Below was arguably the most exciting player to watch. Around Day 4 or 5, I realized he was sitting on several investigation results of living players, and I knew exactly what was going to happen when he hit Mafiosi; sure enough, he dropped the bomb, and single-handedly turned this game from a shut-out to a hard stalemate. Hell, he played so well I had to nerf the Doctor to compensate! It takes a lot of skill to avoid drawing the attention of Town OR Mafia, especially when you have such valuable information in tow, and he walked the tightrope like a pro. Well done, Bel. Well done indeed.

Spike
    He really went the extra mile to make his few posts count; as one of the first to question Jiku's logic he deserves a gold star, but his reluctance to share his suspicions or his vote only hurt him in the end, as his flip did nothing for those who survived him. Regardless, I'm confident his cool head and keen instinct will prove deadly should he return... and, y'know, have time to post.

TwilightBlader
    Heh, well... sometimes you just strike out. Bad luck man. In the future, maybe roll again if you get yourself?

Vivi
    LOL. Vivs apologized to me for not posting, then I told him "It's k, you're dead." I actually recruited him solely because I thought his presence would entertain... and I guess it did, in a way. :'D Maybe next time, friend.

Mafia
    Mafiosi often have the edge in beginner games, because all it takes is one clever player to coordinate their efforts and make them a force to be reckoned with. In this case, they were blessed with just such a player; but that's not to say the rest of the team needed carrying either. Though altogether quiet, they ultimately overcame a terrifying turnaround, and with some clever coordination they won by the skin of their teeth. Hard-fought and well-deserved; congratulations, team.

Beau
    Suffered from a lot of beginner pains. It's tough to figure out what to say when you're terrified any little thing can be misconstrued as a slip-up, but oddly enough, the safest things can be the most suspicious. He also conversed/agreed with teammates a lot, which is risky business. In the future, remember that fluffposting can be a dead give-away of somebody who doesn't wanna talk, and try to step out of your comfort zone. (And of course try to be mindful of the rules)

Jayn
    She told me she was very nervous, which shows in her play, but in spite of that she did cast her vote several times and stayed in several conversations. Really, the nail in her coffin was not any mistake on her part, but a skilled play on the part of Below.

Jiku Neon ★ MVP ★
    Considering she masterminded the Mafia while she was alive and attempted to lead the Town's vote, there's really no question here. Her rhetoric was both devilishly convincing and perfectly engineered to favor her teammates (though it may never work again), and she even warned them not to resist voting her when she came under attack. For her fearlessness and selflessness, she deserves as much praise as the survivors.

Judge Sunrose
    Though he spent much of his time defending himself, he ultimately came through for his team in the end as part of a deadly two-hit combo on the last day (AND YES, THEY BOTH DID IT DELIBERATELY. CHEEKY BASTARDS). The fact that he slipped under the radar despite being one of the Cop's prime suspects deserves regard as well.

luminous
    Same as above: Though not much of a talker, he formed the former half of the pincer attack that ultimately sealed the Town's fate and brought closure to his team's efforts. Well-fought, Cosa Nostra.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

When will the next game start?

11. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Never, this was a one off.

12. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

How terrible.

I may have to host a game later if no one else will.

13. 61 No. B

i think nova was a bit drained after this one
    may be a while. if ever.
    i won't be playing though so i look forward to observing

14. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

If I host, I will allow Informed Observers in the game (people who cannot do anything but know roles).

15. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Please don't speak for me.

While I do have plans in the works for future games, I welcome and encourage others to take a crack at it in the lull! In fact I will offer guidance, counsel, and co-modding to anyone who makes the attempt.

Typically Mafia games have such a thing, I just didn't know if there'd be interest this time around. It came as a pleasant surprise that I'd underestimated the forum's interest in this :'D Rest assured, in the future there will be a formal chat space organized for observers, which will be open to non-players and to which all dead players will automatically be invited.

16. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something seems off but I can't tell what it is.

Edit: Oh wait, I must be seeing things because it's gone lol don't mind me... -flies away-

17. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Ninja screenshot and ninja edit. Good job.

@Nova: Do you use quicktopics for mafia or what? How have they talked amongst themselves so far?

18. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

OH MY GOD THE WEIRDEST SHIT HAPPENED

I COPIED BELOW'S POST AND ADDED IT TO MINE AND... FOR SOME REASON IT WAS MISSING A BRACKET

I DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH IT EXCEPT TO CUT AND PASTE

W A T

I did use Quicktopic initially, but Ben had an issue that I couldn't resolve where every post he made would be deleted as if it were spam, so we switched to a group PM on-site here. Hardly a permanent solution, since it can be traced, so I'm probably gonna try QTs again next time.

19. TwilightBlader Child of the Sun

Oh, right I forgot to mention I lied about the whole RNG (obviously...I mean what are the chances?) so I can mess with people...which I found more fun than winning~...it worked and was fun to watch...Need to start the game off with a bang after all