No Thanks Make Content of Spoiler Block Visible to Only Members

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

This can easily be done with an if conditional, but I won't post the specifics for obvious reasons.

In any case, I can see this being useful for general privacy reasons and the like. You're fine with registered members seeing said content, but not the entire population of guests.

2. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

While I respect your idea, the retroactive effects of this would be pretty bad, I believe. For instance, most writers here use spoilers to contain a full chapter. Looking at the numbers, I feel it's safe to assume most of the views come from guests to the site, and locking them out would deaden the already pallid traffic in the Writer's Nook.

Just my two cents.

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I have to agree with @Sebax . Typically, when I think of using spoilers on the site, I generally use them for, well... actual spoilers (though I also personally use them to post vids in my RP posts), which I don't think are an issue with privacy.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

If there's a way another spoiler called Privacy Spoiler or something similar could be added, maybe that could be a possibility. Leave the default XenForo one as is and then create a new one that uses the if conditional in the corresponding template so only registered members can see its content.

5. Misty gimme kiss

With registration taking like three minutes, I can't see much point in this. For resource sites, sure, since there's often some kind of barrier to registration (license validation, payment, etc.). Here we have open registration and it's a public forum. If you don't want something to be seen by any old person on the internet... maybe don't post it on a public site. I can't imagine what anyone could be posting here that is for registered members' eyes only.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

If I recall back in the day when I first heard about this site there was some form of limitation put on guests as to how many posts they could see (horrible memory could be kicking in so I apologize if this is laughably inaccurate), but at the time I thought it was rather annoying and that just sped up my sign up time.

With that in mind, I don't really see a benefit from limiting "guests" from seeing any sort of normal forum posts. If you (you meaning anyone reading this) wants to disclose private information to members of the forum, there are things like Skype or PMs if you want to go that route. This just seems like one of those added features that would only be added "just because", which I am not a fan of. I also don't understand why you would post ANYTHING to a public forum and expect there to be any ability to keep it totally private, even PMs or Skype messages can be copy pasted, or read through other less legal means.

I respect the desire to keep certain things private, but a plugin or addition to the site won't do that for you. Self control or speaking/typing with discretion on the other hand, that works really well.

7. Misty gimme kiss

This used to exist, yes. It allowed guests to view I think 15 pages (not necessarily of a single thread, but load 15 pages of the site) until they were prompted to register, the idea being that it would drive guests that browse a lot or who just found an interesting thread to register. Whether the staff would be interested in implementing something like that again is a separate suggestion and sort of a different subject matter. That has to do more with encouraging guests to register rather than protecting user content behind a registration wall. I'm not sure what Amaury's intention behind this suggestion was (privacy or bolstering registration).

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Not for super-duper private information, obviously, but more along the lines of smaller things, like schedules. Back when I was still in high school, I posted a schedule of my availability, when I'd be back, etc., but it was eventually locked by Sabby, I believe, out of concern.

Anyway, the other solution I can see is using the Premium Members forum, but that's of course limited to premiums. I suppose a forum that guests can't see would be another solution. Or even have a forum for users of a trusted user group only.

The Premium Members forum is probably the simplest solution, though.

9. libregkd -

As mentioned by a few members in this topic, making the spoiler tags (or something equivalent to it) private for members only isn't something that a lot of users have a need for. While I can understand wanting to make some info you put out there private, it may be best to not post information you are not comfortable with the public seeing on a public web forum. So I'll be changing the prefix to 'No Thanks'.