Implemented Make Pins Easier to Organize

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Currently to organize pins, you click on Top, Up, Down, or Bottom and wait for the page to refresh. This is somewhat of a hassle and there should be an easier way.

Would it possible to add a dragging feature to make this easier? Or perhaps a check box next to the pins with a number, the number being its order position, something YouTube did a while ago. You just type in the number of the position you want the pins to be at (e.g., Premium Craze - 1) and then save the changes. The page will refresh and the new ordering will be applied.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Netflix actually does this too, as well as a button that's just "Move to top" to make it easier, but that's probably the best way to organize. Dragging might be a little bothersome for some who have a lot of pins to deal with

3. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

It'd need some kind of thing that allows you to drag it. The reason it doesn't now is so the server can be kept up I think.
    I'm not too sure, but I'd really like to be able to drag and drop.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I agree that the UI isn't great, but it's part of the add-on and therefore would require the add-on author to update it, and the author unfortunately isn't the most receptive to user requests. We could commission him but for a minor usability change, there are probably better things to put our donation funds towards.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Agreed.

This may be locked and prefixed No Thanks since it's impossible. Thanks for your input, Misty. :)

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I'm looking into this. Kind of inspired me to start delving into the developer side of XenForo. If I come across a method for easier organization, I'll be sure to post a link to the tutorial/addon.

~Nights

7. libregkd -

I've gone ahead and implemented the suggestion on making the process of organizing pins easier by allowing them to be dragged into the position of your choosing.

st.gif

After selecting what your top 3 pins that you will want to be displayed are, just hit the "Save" button at the bottom to save your changes. The previous method of organizing your pins by clicking the Top/Up/Down/Bottom links provided next to each Pin are still available to use if you choose to do so.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

You have access to the ACP? :3

But, anyway, I like you! Well done! :)

9. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

The drag and drop method never even crossed my mind as I'm only good with front-end design. I have gotten close to creating a functioning order method using input boxes for numbering the display order. Looking at your method, I see some script might be necessary for me to get it to function properly.

The drag and drop is totally awesome but, if I could make a suggestion, I see it only works for the first three pins. For instance, I tested moving the last two in my list to see if they would save and they didn't. For most users this isn't a big deal, the only ones you'd need to worry about are the first three as they are the ones displaying in the postbit. It might be worth investigating the foreach xenforo tag to create the forms that way they all become movable/savable and it wouldn't affect someone who has five as opposed to ten. Again, that's just an idea and personally I don't care about the order of all my pins.

Excellent work libre ^^ I didn't know you were a codester.

-Nights

10. libregkd -

I'm aware of the issue however, like you mentioned, KHV allows for only 3 pins to be displayed at a time so the functionality is there to easily choose which 3 you want displayed at any given time. This was a deliberate choice for a variety of reasons but one of them is that I didn't see the need to do more than that because, since it's now so easy to organize the top 3 to display, I felt it wasn't really that necessary. If there is enough desire for such a thing, it can obviously be changed to accommodate it.

11. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Hey, question. How do I get to the page to organize my pins? Can't figure out how to get there...

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Go to Awarded Pins in your profile, then scroll to the bottom of the page. The button should be there.