Maleficent movie?

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by reptar, Jan 24, 2010.

1. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Tim Burton, being partly inspired by the success of Wicked He got an idea of making a live action film entirely about the villainess.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43678

of course, they are all but rumors.

Honestly i hope this will not happen, Maleficent was one of my favorite villains, heck i even changed my username to hers when that princess fad was going on. This will be a fragile thing to do, and most likely knowing Tim Burton he is probably going to make Helena Maleficent :/

but heck if the movie ends with her as a dragon im game

2. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I was surprised that Tim Burton would take this on. Usually it's Disney who whores everything out, but Burton seems to have good ideas (The Nightmare before Christmas, The Corpse Bride) He's original, so if he wants to do this, I won't complain.

3. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Interesting idea, which could be ****awesome, but it could also go completely balls up.

I like the idea of it to be honest, but I kind of wish that someone else would get their hands on it instead of Burton.

Burton used to be original, but now (as I said in another thread) his works have become almost a cliche.

4. Vanitas Gummi Ship Junkie

I have to agree. I'm going to watch the Alice in Wonderland, but just because I concider it to be possibly a good 3d-movie.

Also, I don't find it pleasant for the viewer that he uses a lot of same actors. Sure it must make his directing easier, but for the viewer it may take some 'space' from the character, because the actor is so well-known from the previous movies.

5. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

... How about no? Don't mess with the classics people! Leave them to rest! If Burton ruin Maleficent i'll hunt him down.

6. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

biiiiiiig bump. Angelina Jolie as Maleficent? At least it is not Helena

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/03/angelina-jolie-maleficent-disney-tim-burton.html

7. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I heard he was planning on making Angelina Jolie Maleficent. That kind of works actually.

EDIT: I see you've found the article.

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...Okay... Maleficent doesn't have a rack. Whose idea was it to cast Jolie for this role?

I guess the face matches, but part of the appeal of Maleficent for me is that she's sleek. Classical. Her cloak goes from neck to toe in a perfect line, almost like a gliding phantom. I guess it's a small complaint, but it still irks me.

And I don't trust Jolie to pull off the laugh. If she botches the laugh, it's all over.

9. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwww. *crosses fingers* Jolie is a horrible actress, she always plays the same role. I can imagine her face as a Maleficent, i think it would fit but her portrayal would ruin Maleficent. Hope she won't sign in the end. OR better, this movie will never be filmed *crosses fingers*

10. Flamedancer Twilight Town Denizen

Ugh, I really hope this doesn't happen... (I actually got a bunch of flames from thirteen-year-olds by saying that on a Burton fansite. It was great XD)

Seriously, though...no. Don't get me wrong; I love Tim Burton. I have since I was a bitty seven-year-old. But Maleficent...you don't mess with Maleficent. She is the highest peak of pure evil in Disney. On top of that, I don't want to know her backstory. I don't want to know why she decided to kill a baby because she didn't get invited to a party. Knowing the backstories for villains--without fail--makes you feel bad for them, and Maleficent is not anyone I want to feel bad for. I mean, look at her! While she's telling the king and queen that, because they didn't invite her, their little girl's going to die when she's sixteen, she is cool, calm and collected. And then she turns into a dragon at the end because some prince pissed her off! Maleficent is the sort of b*tch I want to be when I grow up (well...minus killing babies), and I don't want any sob story about her.

Not to mention, after the epic fail that "Alice in Wonderland" was, I'd be backing off Disney for a while, if I were Mr. Burton...

11. Gobolo Traverse Town Homebody

I think that Burton has slowly been turning into this weird original idea leech. He used to have heaps of originality but now he is starting to take beloved characters and Burtonizes them (It's only happened with Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate factory so far - Sweeny Todd an exception 'cause that was an adaption as opposed to whatever Alice in Wonderland was). His style was pretty cool when his characters were original. But now he is just doing stuff to good characters.

LEAVE BRITNEY... I MEAN DISNEY... I MEAN THE CHARACTERS DISNEY STOLE ALONE!
    He's just ruining my childhood memories with these Burtoneese things.

12. no-reality_allowed ¢ℓαιяνσуαηт ℓσνєкιℓℓ

Dear B-Dog

I love you Burton but can you get your head out of the ground? You've been doing a similar style of films for the past few years and it's seriously getting tired. Go and make something totally original and hurry up to bring out Dark Shadows which sounds totally awesome or that Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter film.

Sincerely, Distraught Fan

13. SpazticFantaztic >:3 Kingdom Keeper

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

On the one hand, Burton makes awesome movies. They have okay concepts, good art, and things like that. On the other hand, Burton has gotten so popular lately it seems like he's not really been doing as well as he used to. Now, it seems like he's only been doing things for the immense profit he'll get from all the merch he'll sell to confused goth kids.

In my opinion, the movie is an okay idea. I don't want to feel sorry for Maleficent, as previously stated, but she's one of my favorite Disney villains and I really want to know more about her. Maybe, though, somebody else could write/direct it? I really like Neil Gaiman, he writes good stuff, and Coraline was great. Somebody should sign him on to work on this project.

/twocents

14. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

Burton, please. You have already butchered one of my all time favourite movies, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and completey raped my perception of Johnny Depp as an actor. Taking Maleficent, the self-proclaimed Mistress of all Evil, and attempting to "Wicked-ize" her side of the story in a film just isn't going to work. Casting Angelina Jolie for this doesn't even begin to redeem the very premise of this movie!

The whole friggen point of Maleficent was that she a horrible, scary old hag that genuinely made you think "This witch is going to fry my arse off". If Burton takes the route I think he's going to, with making her a somewhat identifiable character through some unneccessary back-story (the same way he sucked all the charisma out of Willy Wonka, aside from casting him as Johnny Depp), I can tell you right now that will turn out just as bad as we all imagine it will.

15. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

Burton, please do claymation again. Those were works of art. No more with live-action and taking other stories.

16. Cherry Berry Chaser

You're right in the sense that his quality of films has been diminishing as of late, becoming more cliche like to feed off to the masses that adore his work, but you never know with Burton. Maybe he might spring out unexpectedly with a highly addictive, original film (Or that could be just me getting my hopes up)... I'm not particularly a huge fan of him making Maleficent's back story as I like her the way she is... Pure evil. I wouldn't want to see how and why she had decided to turn evil (unless its an amazing back story, which I doubt would happen nowadays.). Wicked-ising it would just ruin it for me, full stop.

Please Burton, if you are going to continue with this project... make it the best damn film there is.

17. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Didn't Maleficent already have some kind of backstory? SHe wasn't invited to Aurora's christening so she cursed her.

I also read (I think it was Maleficent, it may have been another Disney witch) that she was pissed for not being invited because the King and Queen couldn't have children and Maleficent used her magic to help them so she expected some form of gratitude. I'm not entirely sure though if it's Maleficent I'm thinking of here

18. Aura Goddess

I honestly don't think this movie will turn out too well, especially if it were to be live action. Maleficent is one of my favorite Disney villains and, to be honest, I don't think Angelina Jolie will do too well of a job pulling off Maleficent. If he continues with this, I highly doubt I'd go to watch.

19. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think it was, I read another version of Sleeping Beauty and this was it.

If this was also Disney's Maleficent, I would like her more. C'mon. Not being invited to a party would be a very terrible reason to curse Aurora.

20. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I was going to start a new thread but I think I shall just bump this old one (and ~moved to Disney galaxy as it has been confirmed as a Disney film since the creation of this thread) because this movie is very close to coming out (May 30th) and I for one am very excited for it, the trailer was released yesterday and HOLY CRUD LOOK AT HER DRAGON FORM!

Is there anyone else who is really excited for this? : D SO MANY GOOD FILMS COMING OUT THIS YEAR.

Not to mention Matt Smith producing and Peter Capaldi but shhhh