Support Minor Graphical Issue with RollerCoaster Tycoon

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

The issue is self-explanatory.

In Any of the Full Screen Resolutions:
    RCT Full.png

Window Mode:
    RCT Window.png

Full screen look like Window Mode, and it did before.

Adding to that, when I first open it and it shows the intro, the background with be red a lot of times, which is related:

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Okay so first, is your screens resolution high enough for the full screen?

Second, did you download any major software or make any major changes prior to the problem?

Lastly, what do you mean the background was red? The entire background for the full length of the animation or a certain part?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Available full screen resolutions are as follows:
    • 640 x 480
    • 800 x 600
    • 1024 x 768

My monitor can go up to 1366 x 768, the recommended, which is what I use.

No.

For however long. If I click to just skip to the title screen, it'll fix itself for the millisecond it shows itself after clicking and before skipping to the title screen.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I doubt it'd be your screen resolution then, and if it's not a virus or a conflicting program then it'd be hard to say what the problem is. If it's a local game, the internet wouldn't have any effect. I'm going to have to say . . . maybe you caught a virus from the internet. Run a virus scan, see what comes up. That might not be it though. If that's not it, I'd recommend trying to reinstall the game.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not sure if this would help, but this is the first time I've installed it, as well as the other two, on Windows 7. Plus, it's only RCT and RCT2. RCT3 is fine since the graphics were enhanced to be 3-D compared to the 2-D in the last two.

And I doubt a virus could cause it. However, my computer's clean. AVG automatically scans it daily at 8:00 AM.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I completely forgot about compatibility *facedesk*

There should be a recommended OS that comes with the game. If these games were made and released prior to Windows 7, then it's more than likely not compatible with the Windows 7 OS. You could run it in compatibility mode, see if that helps. Whichever system you last ran these on, and they worked, choose that one. Right click on the application that starts the game, then choose properties. Then click on compatibility. Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" then from the dropdown list, select the OS you know they work for.

Sometimes, compatibility mode doesn't help. Some programs aren't compatible with Windows 7, even with compatibility mode. If this is the case, and you're still insistent on playing them without glitches, you'll have to create a virtual machine on your computer and load a compatible OS onto the virtual machine to install the game on it. I won't go into details on virtual machines unless it's needed.

Finger crossed, hoping compatibility mode works ^^

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Released:
    • March 31, 1999 (NA)
    • April 12, 1999 (EU)
    • 2000 (AU)

Would compatibility be a problem, though? It should work on Windows 7:

8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

To answer your question, it's a quote from your second link . . .

Do what I said in my previous post. Only this time, you'll want to choose Windows 98/ Windows Me, from the dropdown menu as your OS. Then, check the boxes beside 'Disable visual themes' 'Disable desktop composition' and then check 'Run this program as Administrator'. As advised in the documentation of the linked site. This should fix the problem.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Uh, it says not to do that.

One other issue is that when I press the start menu button to minimize it and later maximize it, sometimes it's like I used the color inversion tool on my computer. Luckily, re-doing that fixes it, and other than that, the only other problems are those in the OP. Since it doesn't affect gameplay, it's not major. XD

Anyway, I'll give it a try for XP.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

*facedesk again* Sorry, I completely misread that part. But yea, it should work in compatibility mode for an earlier OS. Hope this helps and have fun ^^

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, it worked, but it still doesn't look like in the screenshot of Window Mode in the OP.

Oh, well.