Most Improved Writer

Discussion in '2013' started by Misty, Aug 29, 2013.

?

Most improved writer?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2013.
  1. darkhorse D

41.2%
  2. masterofkeyblades

58.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty gimme kiss

Cycle One: "Most" Nominations; Thread/Group Nominations
    Cycle Two: Writing, Video Editing, Art Nominations; Roleplaying Nominations
    Cycle Three: Best/Worst Nominations
    Cycle Four: General Nominations

Vote away!

darkhorse D
    Don't Blink!

Part 1
    Have you ever tried not to blink? It's not easy, especially if your life depends on not blinking. The Doctor explained it all, but I'm getting ahead of myself; I need to start at the beginning. It all started with the exploration of a mysterious house. Stone statues of angels covering their eyes littered the yard. I didn't think much about it at the time, but if I had known the truth about them, I probably wouldn't have entered the house at all. The house was empty enough, but something about it didn't seem quite right. Then I entered the largest room in the house and got a startling surprise. The words 'Pull here' was graffitied on the wall on a place where the wallpaper had been torn off. Foolishly, I pulled where it told me to pull, and got another surprise, the words 'Beware the weeping angels'. I kept pulling despite the strange message and soon, more words became visible 'Oh, and duck', I had no idea what that meant, so I kept pulling. The next words were just as bizarre 'No really duck'. Then I came across the most shocking thing yet 'Charles Kaznic' my name. I kept pulling and read 'Duck now'. This time I ducked, and avoided getting the worst headache of my life. I got up in amazement, and went to the window to find out who had thrown the brick. Another one of those angels stared back at me, with no sign of anyone who could have thrown the rock. I returned to the writing on the wall and noticed another line of text under the wallpaper. I pulled and found 'signed The Doctor' there. I decided to take a picture of the whole message. I then left the house to return another day.

After I returned home, I snuck back into the house while my parents slept, not knowing that I had done it. In my room I booted up my computer and ran a search for the weeping angels and the doctor. The result that came up was quite odd. The main result was a link to a youtube video that was originally from a TV show called Doctor Who. This video, however, was addressed to me I started the video and found myself in floating in a white, misty space. Then a voice rang in my head, the Doctor's voice.

"Hello Charles"

That's what did it for me. I freaked right there. I was terrified, and I wanted answers.

"How do you know my name disembodied voice?" I screamed.

"I'm in your head aren't I?" he replied.

"I suppose, but what are you doing in my head to begin with?" I asked.

His answer was not what I expected.

"I need your help".

"How can you need my help, I mean you have a companion traveling with you don't you?" I challenged.

"How do you know about the companions I've had?" He asked astonished.

"There's a TV show about you" I explained.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's really big, although I thought it was fictional" I answered.

"It's not, although I think you wish it was now" he said.

"Oh no, I've always wanted to be one of your companions" I replied enthusiastically.

"Well today's your lucky day, the Weeping Angels attacked me and sent me to 1975. I need you to find the key to my Tardis and then find my Tardis before the angels do. If they get it first, the universe might never exist as it has." instructed the Doctor.

"How do I find it?" I asked.

"It should be at the same place you found my message" He answered, "one last thing, you need to bring a copy of 'Back to the Future' with you when you go to the house, I'll have placed an easter egg on the disk that should allow the Tardis to come to me, bringing you with me. Good luck."

And with those words of instruction, I returned to reality, but this time I wasn't alone. The angels had arrived.

Part 2
    I know what you're thinking, the angels got me right there and then, but, obviously, they didn't otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. I didn't know this then, but, when I was looking at the angels they couldn't move because they become stone when perceived, but if you blink or look away, even for a second, they move, and they're fast. Fast enough to get from one side of room to the other in the blink of an eye. I kept an eye on the angels as I locked the window and edged my way towards the door, too scared to look away or blink. When I made it out of my room, I locked the door hoping it would buy me some time to grab Back to the Future and get on my bike. Luckily I was able to grab it and jump on my bike before the angels got out of my room. I started pedaling to the abandoned house I explored earlier. I saw the blue of the Tardis as soon as I got inside the gates. I ran over and tried the handle. Locked of course. I then remembered a key sitting on the mantle in front hall of the house. I was about to enter the house, when I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, the first of the angels returning. I turned to keep an eye on it as I fiddled with the knob trying to open the door. The door seemed to be jammed, I looked away to get a look at the door, not knowing what to expect. When I turned, not only did the angel behind me move, but I found another angel staring at me and holding the door closed. I then circled around to the back door, and entered from there. I cautiously made my way to the front of the house to find the first two angels in the exact same spot and position they were in before. I quickly grabbed the key and got out of there, but not before trying to find out why the angels weren't moving. I got up close and found them staring into each other's eyes, that's when I figured out they're all important weakness. They cannot be perceived without them turning to stone.

"HAH, I figured your weakness out! Take that!" I taunted. I then hightailed it out of there, immediately running into two more angels. Keeping an eye on them as I went, I edged my way around them making sure I didn't blink. I then ran to the Tardis, and tried the key in the lock. The key turned in the lock, and I opened the door to a whole new world.

"This is security protocol 712." came the Doctor's voice from above. "This time capsule has detected the presence of an authorized control disk, valid one journey."

I pulled out Back to the Future, and opened the case to find the disk glowing.

"Please insert the disk, and prepare for departure." came the Doctor's voice again.

I quickly searched the controls for a disk slot, and then came the first tremor. I knew the angels were trying to get in, so I searched faster, quickly finding the slot, and inserting the control disk into it. I then heard the unmistakable sound of the Tardis taking off. The ride was quite bumpy, but quick. The next thing I knew, the Tardis had landed. Where, I didn't know, but it was obviously on earth. The doors opened, and the Doctor came striding in.

"Good work Charles, I knew I could count on you. Now where would you like to go first?" asked the Doctor.

"Somewhere in the future." I replied.

The Doctor smiled, went over to the controls and said, as he worked the controls, "The future it is, good bye earth, hello everything."
    Pie-lette (My Little Pony and Pushing Daisies Crossover)
    Prologue: The Gift

At this very moment in the town of Ponyville, young Ned, nine years, twenty-seven weeks, six days and three minutes old, was chasing his dog Digby, aged three years, two weeks, six days, five hours and nine minutes, and not a minute older. As the two chased each other, Digby ran out into the nearby street and into the path of an oncoming flimflamobile. As Digby flew into the air, the, at first, playful look on the young earth pony’s face turned to one of grief and despair. He trotted to his once living friend and knelt beside his lifeless form. He stayed in that position for several moments, before reaching out to give his best and only friend, a goodbye pat. As soon as his hoof made contact with Digby, however, the deceased dog glowed with a golden light for a split second, and Digby jumped to his paws and ran off. This was the moment young Ned realized he wasn’t like the other foals. Nor was he like anyone else for that matter. Young Ned could touch dead things and bring them back to life. Meanwhile, in a nearby tree, a squirrel fell from it dead.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Ned’s mother was in the kitchen, baking and swatting any flies that got too close to her pies. One of said flies, landed a little close to Ned. His touch was a gift given to him, but not by anyone in particular. There was no box, no instructions, no manufacturer’s warranty. It just was. To test it, while his mother had her back turned to him, putting a pie in the oven, he reached over to the fly and touched it. Like Digby earlier, the fly glowed a golden light and returned to what it had been doing earlier; buzzing around the freshly baked pies. The terms of use for his gift weren’t immediately clear, nor were they of immediate concern; young Ned was in love. Her name was Chuck. At this very moment the young unicorn was aged eight years, forty-two weeks, three hours and two minutes old. The young earth pony did not think of her as being born or hatched or conceived in any way; Chuck came ready made from the Play-Dough fun factory of life. In their imaginations, young Ned and the unicorn called Chuck conquered the world. In their dinosaur costumes they would stomp on the Play-Dough people, and the cardboard cities they built together. The Play-Dough people would run in terror and sometimes kill each other to get out of the way of the two foals.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Long after their play date was over, young Ned, who was currently being cleaned up by his mother, remained under Chuck’s spell. Until a blood-vessel in his mother’s brain burst, killing her instantly. Young Ned didn’t notice this until he heard her hit the ground in front of him. Not thinking about what might happen, he trotted over to his mother and touched her. As with every other dead thing he had touched, she briefly gave off a golden glow, and then her eyes flickered open.
    “Must have slipped, clumsy me. Did the timer go off?” asked the now not dead mother. She went to the oven and removed the now baked pie, while Ned went to a seat at the table. Young Ned’s random gift that was came with a caveat or two. It was a gift that not only gave, it took. Just as the timer that was set goes off, Chuck’s father, who had been hosing the lawn outside his home, falls dead. Young Ned learned that he could only bring the dead back to life for one minute without consequences. Any longer and someone else had to die. As Ned made this connection, his mother glances out the window and drops the pie she is holding in shock. In the grand universal scheme of things, young Ned had traded his mother’s life, for Chuck’s father’s.
    “Come on Neddy, time for bed” said Ned’s mother, several hours later. Young Ned moves away from the window he’s been staring out of since the death of Chuck’s father, and climbs into bed. There was one more thing about touching dead things that young Ned didn’t know and he learned it in the most unfortunate way. As Ned’s mother tucked him in, she made the mistake of giving him a goodnight kiss on his forehead. The instant her lips came into contact with Ned’s skin, she glowed a light blue, and fell backwards, once again dead. Ned jumped out of bed, and tried to revive his mother again, touching her multiple times before he realized the awful truth about his gift. First touch: life! Second touch: dead, again, forever.
    “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me…” the minister droned. After a brief mourning period, young Ned’s father would hustle him off to boarding school, never to be seen again. Chuck would be fostered by aunts Sarah and Juliet Sparkle, renowned magic experts, they shared matching personality disorders, and a love for fine chocolate. At their respective parents funerals, busy with grief, curiosity and hormones, young Ned, and the unicorn named Chuck, had their first, and only kiss.
    After his mother’s death, Ned avoided social attachments, fearing what he’d do if someone else he loved died. And he became obsessed with pies. It’s nineteen years, thirty-four weeks, one day and fifty-nine minutes later, here-to-for known as now. Young Ned has become the Pie Maker, his talent for pie baking reflected in his cutie mark; three slices of various pies. He made his pies in a shop known as the Pie Hole in the heart of the Crystal Empire. The peaches never brown, the dead fruit in his hands becomes ripe with everlasting flavor as long as he only touches it once.
    “Every day I come in, I pick a pie, concentrate all my love on that pie, if I love it, someone else is gonna love it, and you know what? By the end of the day, I sold more of those pies than any other pie in shop.” The energetic young voice of Olive Snook could be heard talking to PI Emerson Cod, who was getting ready to make his order.
    “Yeah? What pie do you love today?” responds Cod.
    “Rhubarb”
    Cod nods and replies “I’ll stick with three plum. Al la mode.”
    Emerson Cod was the sole keeper of the Pie Maker’s secret. And this is how he came to be the sole keeper of the Pie Maker’s secret.
    A private investigator, Mr. Cod met the Pie Maker, when his Pie Hole was on the verge of financial ruin. Cod was chasing a suspect over the roofs of the buildings surrounding the Pie Hole, until eventually, the suspect made the grave mistake of trying to jump the large gap between the roof of the Pie Hole and another building. Cod’s suspect fell onto the dumpsters in the alleyway below, dying instantly, only to make contact with the Pie Maker, returning to life. A bit disorientated, the criminal made a run for it. He didn’t make it far though, since the Pie Maker, who was much faster than he looked, gave chase and returned him to the grave. Mr. Cod, after observing all this from the nearby rooftop, proposed a partnership; murders are much easier to solve when you can ask the victim who killed them. The Pie Maker reluctantly agreed.
    “I asked you not to use the word zombie, its disrespectful” the Pie Maker and Cod were in their usual booth, close to the door, discussing the business of murder as usual. “Stumbling around, squawking for brains, it’s not how they do. And undead, nopony wants to be un anything. Why begin a conversation on a negative, it’s like saying I don’t disagree, just say you agree.”
    Cod rolled his eyes. “Are you comfortable with living dead?”
    “You’re either living or you’re dead” the Pie Maker retorted. “When you’re living, you’re alive, when you’re dead, that’s what you are. But when you’re dead and then you’re not, you’re alive again. Can’t we say alive again? Doesn’t that sound nice?”
    “Sounds like you’re narcoleptic.”
    “I suffer from sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep?”
    “What’s the other one?”
    “Necrofilia”
    “Words that sound alike get mixed up in my head” said Cod, shrugging.
    The great ball of energy and randomness, that was known as Olive suddenly piped up, “Me too, I used to think masturbation meant chewing your food”
    The two in the booth just stared at Olive, as the smile she wore, ever so slowly fell from her face. “I don’t think that anymore.”
    “Can you lock the door behind you?” asks the Pie Maker.
    Olive stood there for only a moment, before taking off her apron, hooking it on a peg by the door, and left, locking the door behind her. Cod watched with a confused look on his face, wondering why the hell did she think masturbation was chewing your food?!? Composing himself, Cod turned back to the Pie Maker asking, “So you want in on this opportunity or not? A dog is involved.”
    Digby, who had been sleeping on the floor the whole time lifted his head at the word dog. The Pie Maker looked at Digby.
    “What kind of dog?” he asks.
    “Is gonna be a dead dog. Dead dog named Cantaloupe. They’re putting her down since she allegedly killed her owner.”
    “By allegedly…?”
    “Cantaloupe was framed. Somepony put a part of the victim in her mouth.”
    “Huh” the Pie Maker said pondering the implications of this statement.
    “Hey,” Cod pulls out a photo of the supposed murderer. “Docile as a kitten, says the family.”
    The Pie Maker examined the photo carefully, noting how the dog looked practically harmless.
    “Despite it being a Chow, the breed most likely turned on its owner?” the Pie Maker jokes
    “Hey, hey!” Cod exclaims. “That’s racial profiling.”
    The Pie Maker chuckles at this, as he takes a closer look at the dog.
    “Look here, if the dogs innocent, that means its murder, and that means theres a reward,” pressed Cod, grinning at the prospect of more cash in his wallet

masterofkeyblades
    Nothing submitted.

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

For lack of material to judge with, darkhorse D.

EDIT: How is it the one without material has more votes? I have to have something to go off of to be able to vote for someone. Who's passing out psychic powers around here because I want some.

3. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

I agree, how is that possible?!? But, since hes my only option, since I can't vote for myself, I have to vote for him...

4. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Look in the RP Arena for posts from last year, then look at posts from this year

If you read his posts, you'll see why he has more votes.

5. Plums Wakanda Forever

masterofkeyblades is active in the RP Arena, so people who have been RPing with him have a much clearer picture of his writing. A sample still would have been nice for the people who aren't active in the RP Arena since we don't have much of an indicator to work off from (without having to dig through the RP Arena), like you guys said. But the people who voted for him do from their experiences & such.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Just wondering. I don't like the RP Arena because it's ... hectic. But yes it would've been nice to see a few examples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.