Video My YouTube Channel Trailer

Discussion in 'Production Studio' started by Calxiyn, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Hey everyone! I just made my first ever YouTube channel trailer, and I want some advice on how I could improve it for the future. I'm not very good at editing anything together, but I feel like this is good, but I want to make it great for next year's channel trailer!

Also, just as a note, it needs to be about 30 seconds for YouTube to use it as an ad and so that's why it's so short. It also took me a billion years to put all of those videos with all of our reactions in the middle and nearly crashed my editing software, lol. I was trying to mimic trailers like HMK's, but I have very limited resources so I need to work with what I have, which is Power Director 14. It's a really good editing software but as soon as it got to video 10 in that set where I have all of my faces all over the place it was starting to have a hard time.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Maybe it's just me, but that first bit where you go between RWBY and Kingdom Hearts bugs something in the back of my brain. Maybe it's just because of the back and forth, or something else, but it just seems strange to talk about one theory, then another, then reactions, then discussions, then all that stuff. Maybe change up the wording a little?

I only say this on an opinion-level, obviously, since everyone does things differently, but just thinking about what I've seen in my video production classes, it just seems like that first 10 seconds is wonky. Though I'll admit, that bit with the "react to things, react to things, we react to all things" was a nice touch; though if you're going to have one clip with someone reacting with sound, maybe use another clip with sound as well before you have the bit with a million and one faces.

If you need, I have a pretty good PC, so I could use mine to help make the video.

3. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Next time that would be awesome omg. Yeah, I know at the beginning it was a little clunky but I wanted to be like "Yeah Cal we get it you do theories and discussions for both geez" before it switched to something else but I don't think I achieved that well lol. I may take you up on that in the future when I need to make one for 2018 :P

4. Iskandar King of Conquerors

It kind of comes across how you wanted, but at the same time, it's more like...instead of putting up a sign saying you're doing that, it has more the feeling of "oh yeah, I forgot that I also do this". Kind of like a slap in the face for comedic effect. It's a horrible metaphor, but it's the best I can come up with.

And maybe it's also because of how wordy it is. Back when I first started at University I took a class on Technical Communication, and one of the first things my teacher kept trying to pound into us was "try to make your point with as few words as possible", so maybe it's because of that that your first 10 seconds is kind of weird to me. Course I also try to clarify what I'm doing in as few words as possible anyways, but it's kind of been engraved in me now. Or instead of going from saying you do RWBY stuff to kingdom hearts, you could say something like "I do RWBY and Kingdom Hearts such-and-such, and oh yeah, I also do RWBY and Kingdom Hearts such-and-such. Any questions?"

...Okay, horrible example adding my humor into that, but maybe it gets what I'm trying to say across?

5. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I agree that the back and fourth in the first ten seconds is a little off. Maybe if you want to keep it the way it is and try to go for the effect you're going for, maybe just change the wording a little bit? Like instead of a cut of you presenting each one as if it's the current video topic, present it instead as if you're saying what the channel talks about. Example:

Instead of "And today we're showing you our RWBY theory. Our Kingdom Hearts theory. Our RWBY Discussion video. Our Kingdom Hearts discussion video. Our RWBY Shipping video." You could do something like "And here we show you RWBY theories, Kingdom Hearts theories, RWBY discussions, Kingdom Hearts discussions, shipping videos!" Making your voiceover sound more excited with each one. Because I get what you're trying to go for, with the "clips of actual videos you make" thing but I feel like it just doesn't quite work here and it would sell your channel better to go for a more broad voiceover. If I said that right. XD Plus, I feel like that flows better into the "we react to things" section of the add, which was really cute imo XD

6. Zgermanguy Destiny Islands Resident

looks good I made one recently on my channel aswell

I noticed that too maybe it was just a editing error