New Laptop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by AMRES, Jun 9, 2012.

1. AMRES Destiny Islands Resident

Okay, so I'd like some help on getting a new laptop but I'm not sure what to get. My current laptop is a bit old actually but it is still decent for gaming and working.

Budget: $1100 or lower

I have considered getting a desktop but I favor laptops primarily because of their portability.

2. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I'm going to be slightly biased but I'm going to point you to this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...ok Computers_SKU_4707182_TXT&id=1218512740491

I say slightly biased because this is the laptop I chose to upgrade to when I needed to get a new one for my new job. It has plenty of space for anything I need to do on it, runs fast (it handled my Tumblr blogs like nobody's business) and has a bunch of fun little perks that I keep surprising myself with. I paid $500 for mine, and actually got it during a deal where the store gave me Office 2010 and a year of antivirus free when I bought it, so it's right in your budget. The only things I don't like about it are the keys are a hair smaller than what I'm used to, and the webcam's kind of fuzzy, but if you're not going to be using the webcam much I wouldn't worry about it. It also feels bigger than what is listed, but it's actually quite light. If you want to read more about it, you can read the review I posted which goes into more techie detail (username Nashida).

If the deal I got hadn't presented itself when it id I might have sprung for a Dell Inspiron. I've had very good luck with Dells, still do, as my old laptop was a Latitude D620 that I've had for over 6 years now and still runs like it came right out of the box. But a Dell wasn't in the deal I found, so I went with the Samsung.

3. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Most laptops now are able to run all games. Make sure it's a Mulit-Core CPU and make sure the laptop has an ATI or Nvidia Graphics Chip. All laptops now have a min of 2GB of RAM which is enough. You're all set! Have fun!

I would suggest not getting that laptop that Sebas-chan said ONLY because it's has an Intel Graphics Chip which some games are very weird with Intel Chips. Everything else on it is great though! =)

This is only if you want to play games well on it. =P

4. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Y'know, it's a good thing you mentioned that. I haven't tried any of the games in my collection yet, or anything on Steam, on the new machine. Good to know they might not work like I'd like 'em to. Granted, I had bought it more for artwork/ work stuff while overseas.

Unless there's some way to swap out the graphics chip...(but I'm not nearly tech-savvy for that)

5. Misty gimme kiss

July to September is usually the best time for purchasing a laptop (or any computer, really). Stores will likely be running some solid back to school deals, and manufacturers will be releasing their new/updated products in accordance. Nashida's link is certainly good, but it's always best to pin down your exact needs, simply because a laptop is a big purchase--you're going to want it to last you for at least the next few years. Lifehacker wrote a really terrific guide to narrowing down your options, which you can check out here.

$1100 is a larger budget for a laptop so that's a huge benefit--obviously you shouldn't spend more than you have to, but you have enough leeway to be choosy about some things.

6. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I would highly recommend taking a look at the Lenovo laptops, they are solid as can be. I've had several laptops, and Lenovo is the ones I've been the most pleased with.