On existence

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Makaze, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Even when you physically die, even when your body's gone, you yourself are never truly gone. You may fade by memory, and it happens, but somehow - and don't ask how, because I'm still not very good at this - you're still alive; existing. You could be dead for thousands of years and you'll still exist, even if everyone forgets about you, even if no one thinks about you, you'll somehow still be hanging about.

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Why should I believe that, though? Or that I can physically die in the first place? That you exist, and that I am not just telling myself what you are saying through my imagined image of you?

3. Saxima [screams geometrically]

In terms of science, to die is to have your brain stop working and thus, stop telling your heart to beat and your whole body shuts down. So in all sense, you can physically die. I can't prove to you that I'm not a figment of your imagination, or that you are one of mine, but somehow, you and I must be communicating, right?

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

How can you prove that I have a physical body, to have a brain? No, not quite. All I know is that I see your text on the screen. I am communicating with myself as far as I can tell. Consider if this were a dream...

5. Saxima [screams geometrically]

But if it's a dream, then it's mine too. And I prove I'm awake by pinching myself = totally not trying to be funny. I see your text on the screen too, therefore you've gotta be something different than me. That's all the evidence I have that we exist differently.

6. Twilight Knight Traverse Town Homebody

I'll give you the possibly simplest thing I can give you. "Existing" is, to me, simply being matter and taking up space. You are just "there". You think because of all that biological stuff that I don't feel like going into. Or you could think of the "I think, therefore I am." thing. I'm not sure if it helps but I'm just stating my opinion.

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Nope, not helping really. How can I prove that I am matter or that I exist in physical space? In a dream, I am not physically there. How can you differentiate this life from a dream like scenario?