Support Solved OpenOffice Writer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Not a huge deal at all, just a minor annoyance, especially considering it didn't used to be like this (I think it started after the last update), but for some reason, everything gets underlined in red, as if it were misspelled, but it's not:

upload_2014-4-29_11-21-23.png

2. Karuta Reborn

I don't use OpenOffice, but what's this button?

[​IMG]

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Automatic spell check. Disabling it makes that go away, but I like spell checkers, and I don't know why it's marking everything as incorrectly spelled.

Edit: And when I right click on the words, it doesn't give me any suggestions on what I could have meant.

4. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

That isn't loading for me for some reason. After a while I get this:

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Timeout error here too.

Anyway, I highly suspect that your dictionary got deleted. Try downloading one here

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Got it downloaded and installed, but it's still showing them underlined in red. I even tried a new document, and oddly enough, my name isn't underlined, but everything else is.

I may just disable the spell checker if I can't get this fixed. As I said, it's only a minor annoyance.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

So it still reads your personal dictionary fine. If you haven't yet you could try a quick reset, sometimes programs just load up improperly. It might also be that it is looking at a dictionary for a different language, but I don't know where to check that off hand (on mobile right now).

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope. Closing and re-opening the program didn't do it.

Yeah. If you could take a look when you're a computer again, that'd be great.

upload_2014-4-29_12-46-50.png

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

FYI the link earlier is working for me now, and is a really useful guide. There must have been an error on their server earlier.

The setting I was thinking of is...
    Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages
    Though investigating it now I'm not sure if that is it. It looks like that would require you to be in a non-English dictionary, and you don't have one installed by the screenshot above.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Then what else can we look at? Additionally, I took a look at the thread, and I don't have a Font tab like here.

12. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I do. It might be in your top row though since they swap to make sure the active tab is on the bottom. It is in the row that has "Position" on the far right.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

upload_2014-4-29_22-46-58.png

14. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Weird. I get this and I can't find a way to even change the order, much less remove tabs entirely.

There is always the nuclear option of a re-install. I don't know how many settings you might have in there to worry about, probably not much outside the personal dictionary.

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

Probably seems like an obvious answer, but my documents would be safe, right? xD

16. Mixt The dude that does the thing

You are perfectly fine unless you decided the program folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4" was where you wanted to put those. Maybe a few formatting changes, but even that shouldn't really happen since that is all stored in the file (so that you can send files to someone else and have it look the same).

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

And I just realized I have Word Pad, which I would use as my default thing, but it doesn't have many features.[DOUBLEPOST=1398864333][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, technology is stupid. I uninstalled OpenOffice 4.0.1 last night and reinstalled it as OpenOffice 4.1.0 with no difference other than the version number, so I just disabled spell check, unless you have other ideas. :x

@Misty, @Nights, you got any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Without looking through all the prior posts, my first guess would be there is something wrong with your dictionary file. Every word processor has a file that tells it what is and is not a word. You can add words to your dictionary manually through most word processors. I was thinking it might be an issue with your spellchecker as well.

This might be instructions for an older version but it's still the same premise: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55236

It looks like the application is defaulting to a different language. If that's not the problem, which it very well might not be, then you should try following this guide to reset your profile (as things can become corrupted when updating): https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403

Hope this helped.

-Periwinkle

19. Jayn

{ Locked upon request. }

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.