Original Paradigm Shift

Discussion in 'Role-Playing Arena' started by mindstorm787, Jun 26, 2018.

1. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Rex Valin | Location: Seven Heights Penitentiary | Time: Night
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What came next was a blinding pillar of light. Raelyn's body became engulfed in a column of light and memory that Rex needed to shield himself. But while the column of light only lasted 2 seconds, for Raelyn, it lasted almost an hour...

---

Current Track: Raelyn's Theme

The moment that Raelyn crushed the crystal, her vision warped and faded. She wasn't quite there anymore, but her memories came back to her like that of a ticker tape; some fleeting, if only for a moment, and others longer. Her earlier baby memories came fractured, as if she truly did not know where she came from, but her childhood revealed much.
    She was foster child, jumping from home to home. She enjoyed attention, sometimes getting in trouble to do so, and ultimately being handed off to the next family as a result. She never knew her real parents, and never gave it much thought. As she grew older, she learned how to use her attractiveness to her advantage. By 16, she found a family to live out until adulthood, where she became enamored in gaming. It gave her the escape she needed when she sank to trouble. She would be the important one, the hero of her story, the answer to all the problems

Before her memory of coming to the game, however, one surfaced. It was one of the last few days before the game. She was walking down the streets to meet up with a few friends, where she saw...Gale. He was being picked on by another unrecognizable figure, taller, and with brunette hair and orange eyes. A little ways away...was Rex. He was watching, but did little about it. Minding his own business. The memory faded to the day she was about to enter. She saw the memory of the legal agreement Jaz and Inna were asking about. She skimmed it, as most players tend to, but the words were there;
    "In the event of a total system catastrophe, you agree to have your consciousness uploaded to the system and all exterior conveniences removed..."
    She clicked 'agree' without a second thought. As she lay down on her bed, putting on the Occuli, her motor functions ceased, and her vision faded to white.

---

The light soon faded, causing Raelyn to keel over a bit. Rex and Gale quickly caught her before she completely collapsed holding her up slightly. Rex looked to Dot.
    "It's quite alright!" Uncle Dot reassured. "Having a large memory laspe of that scale is taxing on anyone. She'll be feeling almost as if she's having a slight hangover for sometime, but others come around quicker. She'll be fine."
    Rex turned to Raelyn herself. "You alright?"

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

Evie watched the scene before her play out as Raelyn was given the Memory Crystal. She had then heard a voice call out to her. She jumped a bit before turning to the man. She had remembered seeing him in the cells and tried to calm down. "Hello, you seem scarred. My name's Inna. What's yours?" Evie was a little hesitant before answering Inna's question. She tried to calm herself down once more before responding. "M-My name is Evie. It's just I something about these woods just creep me out. That's why I'm a little jumpy." She looked around the woods before walking over to the rest of the group as Dot was explaining to Raelyn about how to activate the crystal. Raelyn had crushed it in her hands and a column of light had surrounded her. Evie looked away from the bright light before looking back at the girl as the light died down. Evie gasped a little bit as Raelyn was about to fall over before Gale had caught her. She let out a sigh of relief as she looked back to Dot. "Thank goodness." Evie brought her hands together and close to her chest. She looked over to Raelyn, Gale, and Rex as they were checking up on her. She looked back to Dot before asking her question. "Umm...Dot? Would you be able to lead us out of here? Unless the next Memory Crystal is around here. We should probably keep moving once Raelyn is alright to walk again."

3. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]

As memories flooded back into her mind, Raelyn found it painful, emotionally. Over and over again she was catching glimpses of people handing her off, back to someone from social services. They would then take her and dump her at the next home where she would live for a year, sometimes less. She felt the pain of not being wanted by anyone, remembered it all too well. Those memories flew by fast, just glimpses of what her life was like, nothing solid, she didn't know the names of the people who didn't want her, didn't know how long she was with each of them, or what she did to be removed again, just that it was her life, that is how it ran. She caught a glimpse of her in jail and another woman coming to get her out, but that time she didn't see another call or the social services coming again, she caught another glimpse of her being home with them.

When the memories stopped flashing by, they settled on one of her walking towards a small group of people. There was some dread as she got closer, but she stood up tall, fixed her hair, and started to stroll towards the group, her boyfriend and his friends she believed. Plastering a smile on her face she tried to ignore what was going on around her. She could see someone... Gale? getting bullied, but she knew if she helped it would only cause more trouble from her boyfriend. She forced herself to look away hoping one of the other bystanders would help. She would just cause more fighting, so she strolled by.

Her memory shifted again and she stared at the length of words, trying to catch what it was as the memory of her scrolled through it far too quickly to get full context, but she definitely caught a glimpse near the end as she pressed accept of what she agreed to. It was sneaky, adding a clause such as that in such a manner where they knew no one would read it, and she hated the company for it. However before she could dwell on it too long her vision went white, then she found herself back in the game, stumbling as Rex and Gale caught it.

There was a slight headache pounding and the world was spinning as Raelyn tried to focus.
    "I'm fine. It's okay. I'm fine." She repeated, but her eyes looked haunted, and she couldn't look at Gale at all. Everything she saw, everything she now knew about herself, she hated. She was ashamed that she didn't help Gale, and couldn't help but wonder why she was so afraid to help him, why she thought it would make it worse. The memories in the end didn't seem to help her at all, just made things worse, and she didn't want to talk about it. "We should keep moving." She said just so they had something to do, some sort of distraction.

4. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Rex Valin | Location: Seven Heights Penitentiary | Time: Night
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Raelyn wasn't trying to hid something back then, Rex could tell she was now. Her eyes looked a bit glazed, and she immediately brushed off her full-on dose of memory revival. "We should keep moving." She said. Rex gave a slightly questioning look, but decided not to budge. Whatever she saw in her memories must have scared her. It would make sense as to why she tends to be so devil-may-care. He could probably ask her later.

"Umm...Dot? Would you be able to lead us out of here? Unless the next Memory Crystal is around here. We should probably keep moving once Raelyn is alright to walk again." Rex's interest piqued Evie's way as she asked the AI. It then looked westward, its holographic vision scanning the trees. Then he pulled an odd look, almost as if confused. "The 2nd memory crystal was nearby."
    Rex's turn to be incredulous. "Was?" He echoed, letting out an awkward laugh. "I don't think jokes become you, bowling ball."
    "I'm not joking." The AI's voice is serious. "The Memory Shard is...moving."

Current Music Track: Caustic - Hardcore Henry OST

It was enough for Rex to put two and two together. "Someone's got to the crystal before us!" He exclaimed. "We need to go after them! Dot, track them!"
    "Uh! Alright!!" He agreed, taking off at nearly blinding speed, but still slow enough to track by eye.
    "Come on! We need to go after it!" Rex stated, bending down a need, and taking off. Despite his body type, the game's augmentations not only made him more strong and durable, but fast as well. As a result, he took off through the trees, following the orb.

Little did he know that the trees had eyes...

---

Current Music Track: Xehanort - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep OST

Far past the Great Expanse, sat a tower at the edge of the continent. Tall, dark and grey. And within, sat a man on a throne of iron, blond hair reaching his neck, beard slightly short and scraggly, his face pulled in a closed-eyed scowl. The door to his throne room opened, causing him to open his cold grey eyes as 4 figures, each with a different face mask and robes.
    "I do hope there is a good reason for disturbing my rumination, o Death." The man stated in a stern tone, his gravelly voice mistaking his physical appearance, staring at the one in the front, dressed in pitch dark robes and a skeleton mask.
    "Apologies, my Paragon." Stated the male in the skull mask, a tired, almost bored voice, as if he cared little. "But Arbit saw new players at the old abandoned prison. They were causing quite the commotion. We think these people were the ones the Fates were speaking of."
    "Indeed." Asked the man, raising a brow, unimpressed. "I suppose that is commendable. Where are they now?"
    "The woods nearby. They're searching for their memories. Just as predicted."
    The Paragon tilted his head. "Go and investigate. Neutralize if necessary. One less threat taken care of if all 6 are with one another right now. Never has there been a greater opportunity."

The skull mask and his cronies bowed and walked backwards out. As the door closed, they began to walk out to the halls, dimly lit by blue flames.
    "What do you make of these guys?" Asked the one in laughing mask to the leader, her feminine condescending voice easily noticeable.
    Skull Mask shrugged, dropping formalities. "I don't see why the Fates would want to be afraid of a bunch of noobies. Makes no sense. They aren't gonna cut it." He took off his mask to reveal brunette hair and orange eyes. "Somebody's got to break those losers in."
    "Not here, you won't." Remarked the female in the mask representing anger. "Some of us need to keep up appearances."
    "Myself included!~" Chimed in laughing mask. "After all, I still have a tournament to run to set things in motion."
    The last masked member, one wearing a mask of a face in pure agony, remained silent, occasionally looking around as if paying attention for any eavesdroppers.
    The boy in the orange eyes sighed, shrugging. "I know that." He replied. "They just need a little incentive to come after us. And luckily, we're gonna give it to them."
    "Not gonna follow orders?" Angry mask asked. "Oh goodie! I love it when we do things the fun way. What's the situation?"
    "Naturally killing them off would be too easy. We give them a good warning. If not, we put them on probation."
    "And how do you intend to do that, exactly?" Asked Happy mask, tilting her head.
    "Simple, Halsey." Replied the boy. "We let them meet destiny. Then, we'll see whether they'll rip them apart limb from digital limb."

5. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

Evie was a bit uneasy as Dot responded. "Was? That's not good." Rex had then immediately thought the A.I. was joking. "Umm. I doubt that an A.I. would lie." Evie had then looked to Dot as the A.I. had informed them that the crystal was moving. Rex had then shouted that they needed to retrieve the crystal. Evie jumped at the suddenness of it all. Before she could comprehend what was happening, Rex and Dot had taken off in search of the crystal. "Ummmm...." She paused before cupping her hands together before shouting toward the two. "Hold on a minute!!!! Not all of us can run that fast!!!!!" Evie was still a little worried about Raelyn but she looked like she was going to okay. She jogged a little bit to try and catch up to Rex and Dot before stopping and looking around. Her uneasiness had grown as she looked at the trees around her. She immediately jogged again to catch up once more.

6. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Inna smiled. "Nice to meet you!" he said, waving at Evie. Soon enough, things hit the fan and eventually they were urged to follow Rex. "Sweet butterfingers." Inna whistled as Rex ran off. "Where did he get that speed?" Looking around, everyone else started to make their way after Rex and Inna was left to scratch his head. "Hey, Dot!" he called out, running along with Evie and the others who weren't so fast. "Teach us how to use our elements as transportation!" He asked, curious if he could totally surf waves with Water.

7. CrownMoksha Decimo

Once Raelyn had been stabilized to her feet, he found it odd that she had avoided looking at him. Was she upset with him as it was his suggestion to give her the crystal for her, though she didn't seem like the kind of person to silently avoid someone cause of something like that. Either way, he decided to give her some space for the time being which was fitting for Dot and Rex had taken off running - or flying in Dot's case- in the distance. Gale was surprised between both the fact that Rex had run off that fast and that they weren't given much of a heads up regarding it. "Well, you did want to keep moving." A light chuckle followed the light attempt at humor before he too joined the others in their run. It took a couple of steps for him to notice, but he was running faster than he thought he would. Not as fast as Rex mind you, but pretty fast by his standards.

8. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]

They took off running after something, but Raelyn wasn't ready to run like that. She only did it to not be left behind by the others as they went after the memory crystal that was now moving. "Hey... um isn't there like plenty of these things. If it is moving, doesn't that imply that someone else has it. Shouldn't we just... you know, let them have it since they are already there?" She wasn't beyond playing dirty to get things she wanted, but she wasn't going to steal it from them if they already had them, not when there was plenty of opportunities for them to get more if she thought correctly about how this would work. Still jugging to keep up Raelyn wasn't able to focus fully. Her mind was spinning with all that she had learned about herself and she felt like none of that was good. Sadly she stayed back of the group just following for the sake of it trying to get her swagger back as soon as she sorted through everything there was to sort through.

9. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Inna heard Raelynn and it got him thinking. If somebody else really did have the Memory Crystal and it was a player, then they'd honestly be better off letting them have it. At this point, Inna was not willing to risk himself for memories he wasn't even too sure of having. It also didn't help that he was a little concerned for Raelynn after her memories returned. Looking back, he saw she was lagging behind the rest of them, and not in the internet connection sort of way. He slowed down himself and started going along with Raelynn.

"Um...hi....uh, my name's Inna. What's yours?" he wasn't sure if he learned her name yet, but it was safe to say he should at least ask just in case. "Are you okay...? You don't look a hundred percent."

10. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Rex Valin | Location: Deep Woods | Time: Night
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Music Track: Henry's Death - Stealth CST

Rex felt the wind whistle through his ears as he ran, feeling the power in his legs as he followed Uncle Dot closely weaving through the trees. He heard Evie call to him and mentally kicked himself. He'll need to make sure everyone's accounted for next time. Luckily though, soon people began to catch up with him, albeit at a slower pace. Even Raelyn had managed to catch up, despite her memory intake. However,
    "Hey... um isn't there like plenty of these things. If it is moving, doesn't that imply that someone else has it. Shouldn't we just... you know, let them have it since they are already there?" She asked to no one in particular. The forest got deeper and deeper. Dot turned around to respond, but was flying backwards, still tracking the crystal. "Not quite, Raelyn. The drop rate for the Memory Crystals are usually 1/8, and only occur in The Great Expanse. Judging by the size of the continent-"
    "He means that the game world is too large." Rex interrupted, stopping as dot came to a small clearing. "It could take days, or even weeks to find another one." Dot gave Rex a questioning glance to his interjection, but the latter only shrugged. Dot then turned, and he scanned. Then, his gaze then landed on a small bush, not more than 5 meters away. "My sensors detect that this bush holds the last crystal. They must've dropped the crystal-"

Dot spoke too soon once again, as suddenly, a large gust of wind exploded from the bush, eviscerating it and revealing someone. However, their features could not be seen through the gusts. The area began to ravage with the winds, blowing through the groups clothing, causing minor cuts, almost as if the wind were knives. Just as sudden, a smaller tornado within the gust formed around the caster, becoming one with them, and launched away, flying close to the ground.
    "No ya don't!" Rex yelled, having shielded himself partially from the harsh winds. He threw out his right hand and fired a barrage of Fire Bullets. They flew and were able to catch up with the runner, but they dissipated just as they closed in to him.
    "What the fresh hell?! My magic didn't work?" Rex exclaimed, looking to Dot. "Uncle Dot...?"
    Dot was immediate in his response. "We seem to be dealing with a Wind-type user." He replied. "Most, if not all Fire aspect magic is negated. A very dangerous magic indeed."
    Rex growled, but shook off the confusion. "C'mon. We can't let him get away with that crystal!" He said to the others, as he took off again, albeit at a slower pace for everyone else.

11. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]

Raelyn ground her teeth and bit her tongue as another person came up to talk with her, asking if she was alright. "I'm fine." She napped, her tone a lot harsher than she first anticipated, but didn't care. She didn't want to talk about it. She didn't want to be asked any more about it. She didn't want to share what she now knew about herself. She didn't want pity and she didn't want to be judged. If she shared she walked by as one of their group got bullied, for a reason that she couldn't remember, they would hate her. If she shared that no one wanted her then they would pity her before finally turning around and using it against her later when they too got sick of having her around. She didn't want to get anywhere near that.

At the very least she was getting the answer to her question. It didn't sit well with her, but she could accept it. "Alright so we do what we can to get you guys memories back. Fine." She commented putting heavy emphasis on the "you guys" part of it. She didn't want any more memories if that is what they held for her. No she would rather avoid that if at all possible. There was nothing good that could come of getting more of her memories, nothing that she could think of that would actually be helpful, so she would avoid it, as long as she could and then maybe she wouldn't have to suffer any more than she was just finding out what memories she already got.

As they managed to get near the next memory shard a gust of wind hit and Raelyn was forced to cover her face trying to ward off the sharp pain that came with the blowing wind. Getting barely a glance up she could see that there was a figure and he was running off with the crystal. She watched as Rex tried to go after them, use his magic, only for it to fail. This wasn't looking good. Raelyn searched her own mind of what they could do. Maybe if fire didn't work, water would. If he was going to use a tornado to escape, perhaps she could counter that with one of her own. Putting all her remaining strength into running, Raelyn tried to get ahead, close enough to actually do something, before she stomped on the ground, creating a tornado of water, swirling in the opposite direction to the one that this other person had going. Once that was done Raelyn slowed and fell behind again, her head giving a slight pound trying to tell her that she wasn't ready to be exerting herself in such ways yet, but she didn't care. If that was what they had to do, then so be it.

12. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Inna was fine with Raelynn's response. He wasn't going to bother her more, since he could tell she wasn't truly feeling perfect. They were soon assaulted by a Wind-type user and Inna knew Fire would probably not work since wind...blows out fire. Rex decided to just use fire, obviously not thinking. "Captain Rex, that was a great move!" Inna teased, running forward. He took one great leap and stomped hard on the ground. A giant Water Tornado erupted from where he stood, making it's way towards the Wind tornado. "Stay back if you don't want to get accidentally hurt!" Inna called out to his teammates.

He saw Raelynn attempt the same and he felt bad his went off so well. "If anybody else wants to try, go for it!" he yelled out.

13. CrownMoksha Decimo

Gale felt a small twinge of guilt having heard what Raelyn said after Dot answered her and it was namely due to her emphasis on 'you guys'. Though there was also some curiosity lying behind that guilt. It was hard for him to deny that he was curious as to what that memory shard had shown her. Gale didn't think he should risk asking about it though. Maybe later when they weren't chasing after another memory shard.

Speaking of, they'd seemingly caught it when they were pushed back by a gust a wind. Gale had been quick to use his arm to protect his face from the force of the wind, but he could still feel the cutting affects that the wind had had on him. He didn't want to risk taking out his spellbook against this wind to try and find a solution and even if he did, Rex had demonstrated that he too was at a disadvantage in this situation. It took both effort and some assistance from Raelyn's own water tornado for him to be able to start running again. "So Dot, if this guy uses wind what would be a good way to counter it?" Personally, Gale would've thought earth or anything grounded, but the closest they had to the was Jaz and Evie's plants. Depending on the logic of this game, those could still work just the same.

14. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]
    Jaz had been pretty quiet, mostly to process the situation, also because she regretted not speaking up to get the memory crystal fast enough. It wasn't something she wanted to sulk about, especially since it wasn't like there weren't more they could get. She kind of decided to walk silently and practice a bit of alchemy that she saw from the guide and she just kept doing that while everyone else was conversing. Just as they as they brought up finding no more crystals and they seemed to be settled on the fact there were no more in the area, the group found a crystal in the area and was simultaneously ambushed. Now, she had a feeling something like this would happen, but she didn't expect it to happen this soon. When Dot explained weaknesses after fire didn't work out, Jaz swore under her breath wishing she had gotten earth or something, that was the opposite to air wasn't it? She didn't think plant was going to do much good, but she knew it would certainly do better than fire. Jaz took a deep breath and reached out to use vine grab and hold them in place as much as she could.

15. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Rex Valin | Location: Deep Woods | Time: Nigh
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "So Dot, if this guy uses wind what would be a good way to counter it?" Gale asked after Rex's bright idea. Dot looked back to him and the rest.
    "Well, contrary to popular belief, Earth is not the opposite and an easy counter, as most base projectiles tend to be eviscerated by Wind. However, utilizing the same element or tactic could hinder the enemy..." Dot replied.
    Which was almost demonstrated by Raelyn and Inna, both of whom stomped the ground, causing Water Tornados, countering the gusts, and Jaz with her Vine Grab, grabbing the figure's leg. The Human Gust would've gotten away hadn't the spawned their AOEs and Transport Attack. The gust cleared as the figure tumbles in the dirt, sliding on one knee, partially glaring. It was a boy, not any more then the group's age. He looked Hispanic, his straight, slick hair sporting one white highlight. He was dressed in a casual purple vest and darker grey shirt and khakis. He then smirked, turning tail and taking off again, this time running,crystal in hand.

"Not this time!" Rex exclaimed. He snapped his fingers in concentration. The ground below the boy erupted, causing a direct hit with a Blaze Column. "WHOA!" The boy yelled. He looked slightly more hurt, but he still managed to run, albeit at a visually lower pace.
    Dot interjected, "If you want that crystal, you need to damage him enough to slow him down." He followed the boy, Rex matching pace.

(5 more posts remaining)

16. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Inna had a wide grin on his face as they managed to get the boy to fall. The group got a good look at the boy before he ran off once more. "Damaging him enough means we have to cripple him." Inna said. "Get him in the legs or...the chest."

Inna looked at his hands and then opened his spellbook. "Right..." he closed it again, tucking the spellbook away. Inna followed behind the rest, watching them before he finally decided on a spell to try. He aimed his palm forward, focusing his magic. Inna tried and shot a Water Beam at the boy, hoping it'd do enough damage.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  17. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]

Show off, that was what this Inna guy was. Just a big show off and someone that was likely to get on her nerves to no end. He could of at least figured out another way to help that wasn't just battling with her own attack making it all messier than it needed to be. At least in the end between the two of them they managed to slow the guy, but it did not stop him unfortunately. Though as he stopped for a moment and she got a better look at him, guilt weighed heavy on her. She didn't know why she cared to be moral now, but apparently it bothered to more than she was willing to admit.

Well she supposed that she still needed to help deal with this situation even if she didn't like it. It was better than standing there doing nothing. The sooner that they could get this done the sooner they could move on from this memory crystal thing and maybe play the game or something, get into a fight or two maybe. It would be a good way of getting her mind off of things, and that was something she really needed to do. This wasn't a fight though, this was just picking on someone trying their best to get through this whole experience just as much as they were. She almost threw another spell at him but stopped herself and just half halfheartedly jog along with the group just keeping up the best she could as to not be left behind.

18. CrownMoksha Decimo

That hadn't been what Gale thought he would get as an answer, but the evidence was there and as clear as day. The chase continued with the guy losing speed after being hit by one of Rex's attacks and instead of doing the same, Gale wondered if they could just cut off his path. Gale looked through his spellbook to see what options he had at his disposal. Fire didn't quite fit the intended action here which left the wind skill he'd just recently obtained.

His hand was outstretched in front of him and Gale visualized the intended spots he wanted the tornados to be with a little concentration, two appeared in the guy's direct path as well as his immediate right. Continuing in either direction would lead to him getting hurt and slow him down, whereas someone else could either cut him further cut him off with there being one 'safe' path for them to go.

19. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

Evie was definitely surprised at the sudden turn of events. She saw everyone go after the stranger and tried to catch up to them. Evie stopped in her tracks and tried to think of a plan. She had seen Jaz use her Vine Grab to stop the stranger for a bit. She then saw Gale call forth two tornadoes which gave her a quick idea. Evie started running again before placing her hands on the ground. "Hope this works!!!" She closed her eyes and felt the vines around her make their way to the stranger. The vines weave through their course. If her vines were able to grab them, it would stop the stranger momentarily while the tornadoes went for their strike. Evie immediately stood up and looked ahead, in hopes that they would reach their target.

20. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Evie's strategy worked in the party's favor. As vines came up to grab the runner, he was hit with a plethora of wind tornadoes, a water beam, and the like, tumbling in the dust. But he managed to find his footing, and stood to face the group. He held out a hand, but never attacked, holding it out to guard, causing Rex to stop, skidding on guard as well. They had stopped at a clearing, spanning a couple of miles. The earth was hard-packed, as if fights had been fought in the area. The boy looked around the group, groaning aloud, almost childishly, "To think that I'd be slowed down by a couple of noobies. Oh, what a lovely day." He then looked toward Evie with a more playful smirk. "Although, I have to give props to the lady. The vine maneuver caught me off-kelter. Maybe she could show me more of what she's got when I'm done here."
    Rex visually wrinkled his nose at the comment, uttering a short growl. He had not a particular idea why, but as far as first impressions, the guy made Rex feel like a lead ball dropped into his stomach. Without thinking, he launched a Great Fire Ball. Surprisingly, it missed the runner, albeit by a few inches, traveling a couple of miles before exploding, covering about 5% of the cliff. The boy turned his attention to Rex.

"What's the matter?" He asked teasingly. "Screwing up your aim already?"
    "I miss on purpose." Rex responded nonchalantly. "I'll even guarantee it if you let go of that crystal."
    The boy shook his head, beginning to toss the crystal up and down like a ball. "No can do, mate. Finders keepers."
    "Indeed. And yet Dot was the one to spot it first, so what does that make you?"
    The boy's smirk showed more teeth. "The lucky one to find one of the last few drops of Memory Crystal for the month in the Great Expanse." He bragged.
    Rex's eyes narrowed a bit. "Check your numbers, pal. it's 6 over 1." He grunted, checking the boy's level. Level 22. "You may be moderately higher than us, but even you won't be able to survive simply by running."
    He sighed and shrugged. "Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to kill you so you all bug off." He said. "Shame too."
    Suddenly, Dot flew in between the two party's. "WAIT, nononononono! It's all perfectly fine, Hector, maybe we could come to an agreement?" Dot stated rushedly.
    The boy, Hector, tsked, almost like a disappointed father to a child. "Dot, Dot, Dot..." He sighed. "Shoulda thought of that before you began rooting for the losing team. Now do us both a favor and go ahead and shoot the breeze. Literally." He suddenly put his hands together and a crackle was heard as Dot went flying, sailing into the trees, screaming digitally. Hector turned back to the party.

"So." He said. "Who's next?"