Personal short/stories.

Discussion in 'Workshops & Recreation' started by Shuhbooty, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Shuhbooty moon child

Over the last 3 years I've taken more time to write about myself (in ways to cope but it's actually grown on me to the point I want to write down everything). When I was upset roughly a year and a half ago I started writing a piece about "i thought my life would be something else" blah blah and I wrote 4 pages worth. I'm thinking of picking it back up and and finishing it but i can't seem to find the emotional state (the one i was in when i wrote it in the beginning) to start writing it again.

Should I stick to it being a "true story" or should i through fiction in there?

Here is the first paragraph:

" When I was younger, I never thought my life would be this way. I thought I'd be in college by now, still experiencing what it felt like to have butterflies for the first date. To actually make plans with old, and new friends. I envisioned my life to be stricken with worry about if I'm going to oversleep for the following days exam, or procrastinating with that short notice English paper. Although now, it feels like I've wasted such valuable time. Time, I could never get back, because I wanted to follow something.. Something new. Something unpredictable, something that didn't require some one else rules, but my own. "

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

It depends on your goals. If you'd like to turn this into a publish-able work, I'd absolutely recommend fictionalizing it, if only because the raw writing is akin to a draft and it's always wise to make some revisions. If it's meant to be therapeutic or not-for-profit, it's up to you. Not all writing needs to be read.

3. Shuhbooty moon child

I agree, that not all personal stuff needs to be read.

Yeah ok, that makes sense. I like to believe most writing is just fictionalized by a personal experience honestly. And with this series I'm reading I can see from the show that was produced- that they changed some stuff to make the show more interesting and I was just so amazed by the creativity. And that's what I wanted to focus on.

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Well, it's not just about being creative, it's about obscuring the link back to your personal life. Generally it's ill-advised to tell your whole life story, unless you're writing an autobiography. That and yeah, real events tend not to observe dramatic timing.

5. Shuhbooty moon child

Right. That's what I was reading online on "tips on how to writ" blah blah. It's best to write it as though people wouldn't think it was a personal experience. Plus my life has been uber boring, so there wouldn't really be a point in an actual autobiography. But I have experienced some stuff that I DO want to share to help others.