Nintendo Pokémon 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by . : tale_wind, Jan 12, 2016.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY YEAR, POKÉMON!

Pokémon is starting the hype train rolling for an eventful year, and what a start it is! On February 27, Nintendo will release new 3DS bundles featuring the Virtual Console releases of Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, and Pokémon Yellow Version! In North America, you can purchase a New Nintendo 3DS with both Red and Blue pre-installed, with brand new cover plates featuring Charizard and Blastoise and a code for a special Home theme. In Europe, you can buy a transparent 2DS with the respectively-colored game pre-installed and a code for a special Home theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beginning in February, players will be able to download one new Mythical Pokémon every month for XY and ORAS!

[​IMG]

February: Mew | Lv100 | Synchronize | Pound - [Feb 1-24 @ GameStop]
    March: Celebi | Lv100 | Natural Cure | Confusion, Recover, Heal Bell, Safeguard - [Mar 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    April: Jirachi | Lv100 | Serene Grace | Wish, Confusion, Rest - [Apr 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    May: Darkrai | Lv100 | Bad Dreams | Dark Void, Ominous Wind, Nightmare, Feint Attack - [May 1-24 @ GameStop]
    June: Manaphy | Lv100 | Hydration | Tail Glow, Bubble, Water Sport - [Jun 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    July: Shaymin | Lv100 | Natural Cure | Seed Flare, Aromatherapy, Substitute, Energy Ball - [July 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    August: Arceus | Lv100 | Multitype | Judgment, Recover, Hyper Beam, Perish Song - [Aug 1-24 @ GameStop]
    September: Victini | Lv100 | Victory Star | Incinerate, Quick Attack, Endure, Confusion - [Sept 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    October: Keldeo | Lv100 | Justified | Aqua Jet, Leer, Double Kick, Bubble Beam - [Oct 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]
    November: Genesect | Lv100 | Download | Techno Blast, Magnet Bomb, Solar Beam, Signal Beam - [Nov 1-24 @ GameStop]
    December: Meloetta | Lv100 | Serene Grace | Quick Attack, Confusion, Round - [Dec 1-24 @ Nintendo Network]

Also on February 27, the popular Pokemon amiibo Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja will all receive restocks!

If you live in Europe, you'll be able to pick up two new sets of New 3DS cover plates themed after Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (February 19) and Pokémon Red and Green (February 27)!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Starting January 19, digitally remastered editions of the Pokémon movies will begin to be released on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon around the world. The newest season of the anime, Pokémon XYZ, will premiere on Cartoon Network on February 20.

[​IMG]

A new iOS and Android app called Pokémon Photo Booth will come later this year to help fans participate in the anniversary festivities.

A special TCG expansion called Pokémon Generations will release and will featured in new TCG products this year.

[​IMG]

Special new merchandise will also be released throughout the year to celebrate the 20th anniversary--including a new Red Nendoroid figure with Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise!

[​IMG]

The Pokémon Company is also starting a social media campaign called #Pokemon20, inviting fans all over the world to share their stories, images, and videos on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Some of these submissions will be featured throughout the year on the official 20th anniversary website.

And The Pokémon Company only promises more to come, especially with the releases of Pokkén Tournament for the Wii U and Pokémon Go for iOS and Android! Keep your eyes out!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Really jealous of lucky Europeans who can get that amazing looking Mystery Dungeon-themed cover plate!

Complaining aside... Happy 20th Pokémon!

So many great things planned out for the year. I'm definitely gonna get all those event Pokémon. Also, I'm happy that remastered versions of the first two movies will finally be available (though I had hoped they'd be available on Blu-Ray as well. Oh well...)

3. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

Is anyone planning on doing something in the 20th anniversary other than buying the products? I want to make gabite op and fight people online.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I love the second cover plate of these. Reminds me of the sticker sheet that came with the official Pokémon handbook back in the day.
    This is actually really fantastic news. I was looking to rewatch some of the movies recently but discovered that they're not available to stream anywhere (even if you're willing to pay for the individual movie, not just on a subscription service) and that physical copies are sometimes crazy expensive. Eventually I just downloaded a rip of Mewtwo Strikes Back from when Cartoon Network aired it but I'd rather watch a proper version (not a TV rip, no little banner ads, no fadeouts for commercials). Plus it didn't have the short from the beginning of the film.

5. Hiro ✩ Guardian

>Jirachi
    >Mew
    >Manaphy
    >Darkrai
    >ARCEUS
    >LEGAL LEGENDARY EVENTS
    >NOT HACKS
    >ACTUAL EVENTS

image.jpeg
    ...I am excited but also cautious. This seems to be a bit too good to be true.

Joking aside, it looks like Nintendo does care about some franchise's anniversaries. As expected with such a big series like Pokémon! I only wish Metroid was getting the same treatment, but Pokémon is much bigger so I understand why it's getting more.

If I didn't already have a New 3DS XL I'd probably cave and get the faceplate model.

Though I know I'll definitely be cashing in on that Nendoroid... And heck, I may track down a Cynthia to match, as Red and Cynthia are my favorite Pokémon Champs (RED IS CANON CHAMP HE JUST DOESN'T SIT AT THE LEAGUE).

Either way, Pokémon is a HUGE part of why I'm a gamer, so I'm excited to celebrate its 20th anniversary (boy do I feel old! It's only got one year on me!) My one hope is that Pokémon Z will be revealed soon. The anime's title gives me a little hope. X and Y felt rather incomplete as games, and with the new Alternate Universe concept that ORAS introduced... Would Z be our Kalos game with zero mega evolutions? That would be interesting!

Happy 20th, Pokémon. You've made it a bit hard, but one day I will complete that Pokédex, because you gotta catch 'em all.

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Since you brought it up, The Pokémon Company also announced that they'll be showing an ad during the Super Bowl next month. Since a commercial slot for the Super Bowl costs some fair coin, it's a likely bet that the commercial will be more than just a quaint 20-year retrospective. My money is personally on a Pokémon Go trailer or announcement of some kind, but a Z reveal isn't out of the question either, I don't think. copy, spectre two?

7. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Well it looks like they are going to be released on Blu-Ray after all.

[​IMG]

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The following movies are available now on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon!
    • Pokémon: The First Movie
    • Pokémon the Movie 2000
    • Pokémon 3: The Movie
    • Pokémon 4Ever
    • Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
    • Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior
    • Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life
    • Pokémon--Zoroark: Master of Illusions
    • Pokémon the Movie: Black--Victini and Reshiram
    • Pokémon the Movie: White--Victini and Zekrom
    • Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice
    • Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened
    • Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
    An interactive book based on Hoopa and the Clash of Ages is also available on iTunes today, with an interactive book based on Pokémon: The First Movie due to release on February 1.

9. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Here's the Super Bowl commercial:

10. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The Mew event is live!

[​IMG]

Here's where you need to go to claim a code, depending on your country:

• USA: GameStop
    • Canada: EBGames
    • UK: GAME
    • Australia: EBGames
    • Belgium/Netherlands: GameMania
    • Italy: GameStop
    • Spain: GAME
    • Portugal: Nintendo Zone at FNAC
    • Denmark/Sweden/Norway: Toys R Us, BR
    A new Mew plush, figure, and TCG box are all also available now!

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Pokémon Day on the 27th of this month will see a few festivities!

A day-long celebration will take place in the newly-remodeled Nintendo Store in New York, with special activities, prizes, etc.

Head on over to your local Toys R Us and receive a free holographic Pikachu promo card! They'll also have exclusive 20th anniversary card binders for purchase.

Purchase any Pokémon product at GameStop and you'll receive a free Mythical Pokemon poster!

These promotions are going to be in addition to the release of Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions on the 3DS eShop, the official restocking of Pokémon amiibo figures, and the release of the special edition New Nintendo 3DS. But don't forget that the Mew code distribution at GameStop ends a few days before Pokémon Day.

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Two surprises!

Splatoon will be holding a Splatfest from February 19-20 with the theme Pokémon Red vs. Pokémon Blue (*Pokémon Green in Japan)! This Splatfest will be held simultaneously around the world (though matchmaking and result tallies will still depend on your region). x

[​IMG]

Japan's Pokémon Center stores will be selling physical versions of the Splatfest t-shirts, too!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super Mario Maker will receive costumes of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle! To receive all three costumes, players must complete the new "I Choose You!" event course three times. x

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Aaaand here are the Splatfest results!

In Japan, Pokémon Red won 61% of the popular vote, and Pokémon Green 39%. However, Pokémon Green managed to grab 64% of the victories, as opposed to Pokémon Red's 36%. And so with a final point matchup of 277-423, the winner of Japan's Pokémon Splatfest is Pokémon Green!

In North America, Pokémon Red once again won the popular vote, with 55% against Pokémon Blue's 45%. But once again, Pokémon Red fell short with actual victories; Pokémon Blue won 59% of the matches, while Pokémon Red only took 41%. With a final point count of 301-399, the winner of North America's Pokémon Splatfest is Pokémon Blue!

In Europe, Pokémon Red continued to dominate the popular vote, with 64% to Pokémon Blue's 36%. And once again, Pokémon Blue dominated the Splatfest matchups, taking 57% of the victories, leaving Pokémon Red with 43%. With a final score of 322-378, the winner of Europe's Pokémon Splatfest is Pokémon Blue!

Don't forget! There are only a few more days to grab codes to download your 20th Anniversary Mew! And Pokémon Day is this Saturday! Get ready for the releases of Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow on the Nintendo 3DS eShop (with a few language options available in each region), and the restocking of Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja, and Pikachu amiibo!

14. Pinekaboo Chaser

I find it both interesting and hilarious that Red was consistently more popular but Blue/Green consistently played better. I wonder if that says anything at all about the types of people that choose each version, or whether it was just simple luck and coincidence.

15. Hiro ✩ Guardian

It's luck and coincidence because I didn't have Wi-Fi. Otherwise Red would have won. /s

Still, I find it funny. I'm more of an impatient gamer, and one of my friends who had blue version before was a lot more calm and patient and seemed to be better than me. Maybe those who chose blue are the ones who can devise strategies quicker?

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[​IMG]

A Pokémon Direct will air this Friday! The video presentation, lasting five minutes long, will occur at 7 AM PT / 10 AM ET and is said to celebrate 20 years of Pokémon and bring big news to fans!

Watch the Direct on Nintendo's website, Twitch, or YouTube!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. Arch Mana Knight

Probably too early for it to deserve its own thread but apparently...

[​IMG]

Though I'd imagine you Pokemon geeks heard about this already. Digimon is better.

18. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I held off on this because it seems like nothing is confirmed about it yet. So far we only know the names, we don't even know if it's a placeholder or if it's due for the next generation.

Though I'll admit, I like the spaces between the words. It's a pretty effect. It also makes me think of Megaman Battle Network 4

19. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon have been confirmed! The games will launch worldwide Holiday 2016, with nine languages to choose from--English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Korean, and Italian, as well as both Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

The Virtual Console releases of Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow have also been confirmed to be compatible with Pokémon Bank!

Watch the Direct in its entirety here:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  20. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The Celebi event is live!

[​IMG]

No road trips are necessary this month; Celebi is being distributed worldwide through Nintendo Network. Just log on to Mystery Gift on your copy of X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire to download your gift from the interrnet.