Nintendo Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by . : tale_wind, Feb 27, 2022.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Right on schedule, The Pokémon Company announced the ninth generation of the core series today, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet.

The games, set in a region that seems to resemble Spain, will be fully open-world, with wild Pokémon wandering the overworld as in other recent Switch entries. You'll be able to pick from Grass-type Sprigatito, Fire-type Fuecoco, and Water-type Quaxly for your starter.

sv starters.jpg

The games are scheduled to launch in late 2022. You can check out the official site here.

I honestly didn't expect Gen IX to launch this year; I figured we'd get Legends: Arceus DLC for our yearly release, like how 2020 gave us the Sword & Shield expansion pass. But then again, it's also been the standard three years since the last generation now, so I guess that's on me lol. The game looks promising so far, though; looking forward to seeing more, not looking forward to Even More of the Same Discourse recycled from SwSh's release cycle.

Anyway, I'm gonna start with Fuecoco. What about you?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Although I skipped SwSh because of the while National Dex fiasco, this looks more interesting quite honestly. Loving the open world look of the game and the Spanish influence. Sprigatito looks so adorable and is giving me major Fennekin vibes (will be going with that starter if I ever get the game). And I can't not see KH Donald whenever I see Quaxley

While I doubt it'll happen, I am still hoping that they find a way to satisfy those of us who want the national dex in some format (whether on initial release or with future patching).

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Looks like the National Dex is still out; it's got the same disclaimer about Home compatibility that SwSh had. Hardly surprising; the dev statements on the subject during SwSh's release cycle were pretty clear that that's the direction going forward. We're going into this generation with even more individual Pokémon species than SwSh had to contend with, after all.

4. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I get that. I just didn't know if the huge drama leading up to SwSh's release may have convinced them to better prepare for that in some way. One can dream...
    But like you said, that doesn't seem to be the case. And with that, my enthusiasm to buy a Switch and the next mainline Pokemon game remains dampened.

5. Roxas OG

I think Home is the new national dex. Take that how you will.

All I've ever really wanted is an open-world Pokemon game with the traditional 8 badge game-play so this gen seems geared toward me. But I'm worried it's too late. Open world games are a dime a dozen these days and Elden Ring feels like it put a bow on the genre the same way FFX did with turn-based RPGs. They should have done this years ago.

I'll still get it and play it since it has the potential to be the best Pokemon game in years though lol.

6. avensis Merlin's Housekeeper

Awesome, I'm so super excited for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet coming out this year, plus, I'm definitely going for Violet!c.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2024