Traditional Art Queen of the Castle Sketch

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by HeartofFire, Mar 30, 2012.

1. HeartofFire Traverse Town Homebody

A sketch I did for the Worlds meme on deviantART, for Wonderland. I posted to see if I could get some help on doing lineart for curly hair- in case you can't tell, it is *supposed* to be curly here.
    Please disregard anatomy, if possible- I'm pretty sure it's awful.

http://fav.me/d4uk5tz

2. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Usually, I feel that a person's personality reflects their artwork, but I feel for you that this isn't really the case. Or perhaps it is. I'm not sure, because I'm incredibly tired.

You've got this Vogue-Magazine-ish thing going on with the character in your drawing, she's very thin, very petite, but she doesn't really look too bad. One thing that bothers me about the particular drawing style is the head shape, mostly because I feel her face is long and her hair is piled high. Erm, not necessarily high, per se, but more like it seems her head is irregularly shaped.

Really, she doesn't look half-bad. Keep working, you'll get better. I wish you luck.

3. HeartofFire Traverse Town Homebody

Thank you. :) I do need to work on head shape... most of my heads look like that as of late. But, thanks for the critique, again. :)

4. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

First of all, if you want to master curly hair I'd start by studying pictures of it to understand the way hair moves and is shaped when curled, and then you should try to copy some pictures. It'll make it easier for you to understand how curls are constructed. When copying pictures for practice an easy technique for grasping shape is to first divide the picture you're copying into different routes, or sections if you will, and then copy the picture section by section.
    Also, I'd loosen up on my grip when drawing hair if I were you; the lines in the hair look very hard, however hair is light and "flowy", like wind if you will, thus if you tried drawing a bit more lightly you might have an easier time. This will especially make the hair blend better together, and make it seem less dense.

Hair advice aside, I have to say I really enjoy your lines, they have a very distinctive and particular feel about them(especially around the legs), well done! (;

5. dahlia-petals Merlin's Housekeeper

you have much talent that can blossom into something quite special. =^)
    i wish that i could be as good at art as you someday. i only just started.
    i think the key is to reference from real life and other drawings. the others mentioned this.
    good luck @]--

6. HeartofFire Traverse Town Homebody

After reading all this lovely advice, I went back and did a close up of her hair for practice. How do you think I did? http://fav.me/d4uxbia I did flip her bangs, though.