Kingdom Hearts II Questions about people losing memories of Sora

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by DanceWaterDance, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

I was wondering why people lost the memories of Sora after the event of CoM. And, if everyone lost his memories, why Riku still remembers him? He is the only one linked to Sora who remembers him. Maybe I'm losing something? Some can explain this to me?

2. Shift Chaser

I'd guess it's because only those who Naminé made Sora forget about lost their memories about him, and Riku was still there in the fake memories. Or maybe she just made him remember it in case he ever forgot, it's not like she can't.

3. Misty gimme kiss

Namine has the ability to tamper with the memories of Sora and people related to Sora. It's never deeply explained but rather implied that, in order to change Sora's memories, she had to change Sora's place in other people's memories. Donald and Goofy's memories are probably altered to help sell Sora his "new identity," of sorts, but the rest I think we can only assume were somehow affected by the process (like Kairi). I'm sure we could make some Kingdom Hearts-y explanation that memories and hearts are all connected and, if you break one link (Sora), the entire chain is disrupted.

No idea why Riku would be untouched.

4. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

Yes, I was also thinking so, in KH it seems that when you forgot something it's like it never happened, so Sora forgot about his friend and they forgot about him. This could be seen also when Jimini's journal is completely erased. But in the end of CoM Sora remembers all his friend, so what happens in KH2 seems is strange. Plus the Riku's situation can't be explained

5. A Zebra Chaser

It's a CHAIN of memories, they're connected, or at least that's how I interpreted it

6. 61 No. B

Maybe because he was in the castle with him. No idea, just guessing. It's all very confusing.

7. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Basically dis. I always assumed, both from the name of the game and the themes in play, that memories were a sort of shared consciousness in this setting; that you couldn't affect one person's memory without somehow affecting others connected to it. And they are affected to different degrees depending on the memory. So, Naminé wipes Kairi from Sora's memory, Kairi forgets she ever had anything to do with him.

8. A Zebra Chaser

Well I mean, Riku could SEE Sora, we know in KH2 that Kairi retains some deep memories of Sora, and Riku actually knew what was going on. I'd be willing to bet he lost his memories, but because he knew what was going on, he understood what his true memories were

9. Misty gimme kiss

It's worth mentioning also that Namine is part Kairi's Nobody, so it's possible she has more control over Kairi's memories.

10. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Namine probably broke the chains between Sora and the Disney cast because she wanted him to focus on his memories of Kairi ie: Namine replacing Kairi. If he remembers Leon when she wants him to remember her, it could mess up her whole process with the tampering. She didn't mess with Riku's memories as much because Riku was on the island and those memories go hand in hand.