Re:Coded "Re:Coded Has No Plot"

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by A Zebra, Aug 24, 2013.

1. A Zebra Chaser

A very common descriptor you'll find even among fans of the game.
    But t's not really accurate.
    And not in that jerkish loophole way where I say "If something happens, that's a plot"
    A more accurate description could be "Re:Coded has a self contained plot" or "Re:Coded's barely affects the overarching plot of KH"
    Re:Coded has a fair bit going on... it's just a lot more focused than a normal KH game. But each world has a subplot, many major events happen within the game itself.
    Just because these things probably won't carry on to KH3 doesn't somehow mean they don't exist.
    This kind of stuff pops up a lot in the KH fandom, and a lot of similar anime type fandoms I've seen. There's little to no respect paid to the journey, it's all about those final few details in the last act, even if it's just an info dump. Even if it's never properly built up. It's all about quickly gathering up essentialdetails in some sort of rsuh to get to some ending or other.
    Sure, ask most people and they'll tell you all you need from Re:Coded is the ending and secret ending.
    But in my opinion, if you do that, then you're really missing out

2. Labrys King's Apprentice

Let's not forget that some of the characters in Recoded have a high chance of being in the next title.

3. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I doubt the problem is that Re:Coded has no plot, which is not true. Like you said it does have a plot, like what happened in the data world, and so on. The problem is more that Re:Coded doesn't contribute much to the central plot of the entire KH series.

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

This pretty much. One of the only indications of the main plot of Re:coded having an effect on the central plot of the series is Maleficent wanting the Data Worlds in DDD, which was still only regulated to a single cutscene and did not have much built past that (even the little glimpse at Re:coded in the game was just a 10 second still of Pete on his butt :v).

I do agree, however, that Re:coded does have a plot. Compared to other entries in the series, aside from possibly KH1, the main plot of the game was fairly self contained and didn't really branch out too much till the end (reminding Mickey about TVA, Xehanort's Return, Mark of Mastery Time, etc.). However, one bit it -did- foreshadow kind of sloppily was that beings without hearts, in this case being Data Sora, could develop them over time. Which was the whole big reveal with the Organization and possibly Nobodies in general in DDD.

so yea
    doesn't have as much bearing as BBS in the central story
    but it does have a wee bit of relevance

5. Light-Rune Maven Seer

Another thing about how Re:coded affects the overall plot: It's ending foreshadows Sora's ending in DDD. Maybe not a major difference, But definitley something worth pondering. I mean: even if it has no effect on future events, if Sora and data sora would've met up before they went to take the MoM Exam, things might've been different. Also; as Labrys said, their are characters that might make a future appearance. Like Data Sora. Data Namine said that he should tell the real Sora the things he had experienced and felt. That alone has the potential to be a major plot point. Whether or not square will lives up to that potential is something time will tell...

6. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

I will admit; it does have a plot, it just doesn't effect the overall story very much. As I've said before, most of the relevant stuff can be summed up pretty quickly.

7. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

You know why that is, right? Because the writers treat their own story that way in several installments. Or can you honestly tell me that anything in KH2 that didn't happen in Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, or The World That Never Was really mattered or affected the outcome of the story in a meaningful way?

Anyway, it's nice of a story to be self-contained, but when it takes place in a world dominated by an overarching narrative, it has to work hard to be entertaining by comparison. From what I understand, Re:Coded is trying to tie itself into the main plot, and doesn't quite get there. That's not a mark against its own plot, but it's probably what's meant when people say it has none.

8. Arc Kingdom Keeper

I'll be honest. I didn't give this game much of a chance. I don't think I even played past Destiny Islands. it felt like minigames>weird data cube thing>Minigame to me, and I got rather uninterested. If there actually IS more than that to it, I may pick it back up after I finish 3D.

9. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

ReCoded just felt like filler. Though there was some new information and development toward the end, that was the only place there was any development, rather than review.

10. 61 No. B

This is clearly only said by people who think that plot is the defining quality of a good story.

I would almost say that some of the people saying this don't know what plot actually is.

11. cstar stay away from my waifu

Then I don't think the phrasing should be "Re:Coded has no plot". People should be saying "Re:Coded does not add to the overall plot of the series" and even that I think it might be false. It seems recoded is trying to find it's way into things, I mean... look at Dream Drop Distance, it is mentioned. Probably the only reason I am going to check it out because pieces will probably come into play.

12. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

On this note, I've never understood the relevance of Re:Coded to the plot, and I've never seen anything stating how it's relevant or how it contributes to the overall plot.

If somebody would do me a favor and condense how it actually affects the rest of the games, that'd be gr9.

13. 61 No. B

It's more set up for post-KH2. It takes place before the last scene of KH2, and in the game we learn what Mickey sent to Sora in the letter, which explains what Sora will be doing in KH3. We also learn some stuff about the Journal, and Maleficent does some stuff as well, but the most important thing is the letter.

14. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

That's literally it? It literally just tells us that the letter is what Sora is supposed to do in KH3? And that's the main thing about the game?

15. 61 No. B

More or less. Without the game we wouldn't know what the letter says, and we wouldn't have more background for what's to come. Don't try and downplay its importance. It's not a totally useless title, it gives additional information to what's going on, it's just not as important by comparison.

16. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

Well, do we get to actually hear what's in the letter or as in the actual word for word content of it, or do they just go over it?

As for it's importance, I feel it could've been placed in a better title than Re:Coded, although I don't know how quite to phrase that properly.

17. Plums Wakanda Forever

Yeah, they read the letter out loud towards the end. And to add on to what the setup post-KH2 Below mentioned, it ends with Mickey & Yen Sid discussing Xehanort's return and how Sora/Riku will have to partake in the Mark of Mastery (effectively setting up for KH3D). It also serves to let Sora know who he has to save (TVA, Roxas, Xion) and also has him thank Namine for her work in restoring her memories.

Most of that's pretty much tagged in towards the last boss tho. Oh, there's also Maleficent and the Data Worlds which she talked about taking over to somehow affect the Actual Worlds in one cutscene in DDD, but don't think anyone's too sure where that's gonna lead, hah.

18. 61 No. B

That's what the entire game is about. The events of the game are what cause Mickey to write the letter. Without that letter there likely wouldn't have been a Coded. If you don't like Re:Coded or don't see how important it is, look at it this way: at least we have one more KH game, and a fun one at that.

19. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

That clarifies things quite a bit. I was not really aware of how the letter was presented in Re:Coded, since it wasn't really specified if it was a one time thing or something dragged over the entire game, which the latter makes more sense for an entire game, and is probably justified.

I don't remember that scene, but I'm going to be a bit upset if she doesn't come back in KH3 to screw things up again.

20. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

I would without a doubt play a whole game to see that letter, i remember wanted to see that letter so bad in the end of KH2

as said that just because that's the only bit that corresponds to the xehanort saga. doesn't make the game have no plot