Support RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Lag

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Mixt (or anyone else who can help)

I haven't played RollerCoaster Tycoon in general since my days on my old, now dead, computer. Anyway, RollerCoaster Tycoon plays fine, and I'm sure RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 will as well; however, because RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is much more about the graphics compared to the first two games, issues can arise. I just installed it yesterday and am having lag issues, something I didn't have on my old, crappy computer. It's particularly when I have two—yes, two!—or more rides of any type close together. What's strange, though, is that when I record, which makes the lag even worse, when watching the recording, there are no lag issues whatsoever. So I don't know what that means? What is the issue? If the recording is fine, it can't be the computer?

Here are videos I took showing no lag:

Here are trailers of the game showing how detailed it is with its graphics:

Here's an actual gameplay video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR9F903oVoA

Compared to the first two games:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34SQz95OwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rdd0d6AW8I

So you can see why issues would arise with the third game if you were on a terrible PC, but I don't have a terrible PC.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well it does say a lot that the recording is fine but the display isn't.

I'm pretty familiar with your setup for console recording, but not as much for PC. Do you use recording software, or do you use a capture device like Roxio? What are the specs for your current computer?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Mixt: This isn't even for recording, just normal playing of the game. Heh. Although when I do record PC games, and it's been such a LONG time since I've done that, I use FRAPS.

Here are my specs:

Computer Specs.png

(Don't know if my graphics/video card is shown there. I can post that, too, if needed.)

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

My best guess at the moment is to try compatibility modes, given that it's an older game. No idea why FRAPS would be okay with it though. It's normally the other way around where FRAPS stutters even though the display was fine.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Mixt: I'm not sure if it has compatibility modes. Also, those were actually recorded with the game. It has its own way of taking screenshots or video.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

By the way, I just looked on YouTube, and I don't think Windows 10 is the issue:

There is some jitteriness there, but I think that's mostly the recording software, and even that isn't as bad as me just playing the game with more than two rides next to each other.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

So running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 does nothing to improve it. I don't know what else it could be.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Mixt, after watching this, I wonder if turning off Game Mode would help:

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Performance changes from game mode are pretty negligible. It generally seems better to have it off, but you are so far passed spec here I doubt you would notice any change.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Mixt

Hm. Any other ideas, then? Compatibility Mode was a dud.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

That's all I've got. You have the resources to run the game, they just aren't being utilized. On a quick search the only issues I've seen people having are the result of the game install being carried over OS or hardware upgrades and a config file not handling the change well. But you're describing issues from a fresh install, so that wouldn't be it.

12. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident