Selfie Addiction???

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by mindy lover, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

The other day, I was watching Untold and they were talking about this guy that had a selfie addiction that started when he was 14 or 13. At first, I was like, “There’s no way this is real.” But after thinking about this, I could see how this “selfie addiction” thing is indeed real. In society, there is pressure (whether this effects you or not) to look “pretty” (whatever that is), and more often than not, you do see people that are obsessed with their looks or that are just never satisfied or even scrutinize every flaw they think they have. I’m sure some of you know at least one person that, if they could, they would probably get those “imperfections” fixed via surgery.

During this show, it was stated that plastic surgery has become more popular in the last couple years. It was also stated that 15.1 million plastic surgery procedures occurred this year alone in America. They related the growing pressure to be and look perfect to being obsessed with celebrities.

In general, I think it was more about how self-image issues relate to plastic surgery and the tabloid’s growing obsession with celebrities (which is something you can get treatment for).

My questions to you guys are: Do think selfie addiction is real? Do you think there is pressure to look perfect? Do you think that pressure is becoming more of a problem for us as a society? Is it even a problem?

2. Labrys King's Apprentice

Hmmmm I don't particularly believe that theres such an addiction as taking a selfie, but I do believe that there's an addiction to get the positive feedback from others based on their looks to boost their self esteem. You may not realize it, but taking a pic of yourself and posting it on the internet, and having someone complement on it is the best feeling you could get. So there's people who strive to get that feeling and attention they desire. There nothing wrong with that, it's pretty normal. But what's not normal is when you constantly do it, stressing on every possible flaws. And then the addiction begins.

So to answer your set of questions, no I don't believe theres a selfie addiction, but the intent behind it could be problematic. Yes I do believe that there's a huge pressure on how you look, and it's becoming a problem. There's people whom are willing to starve themselves to get the ideal look, or even other not so great methods. But you know what's also sad?

I didn't know this up until now, but there's actually people who are using other people's (Mostly famous internet celebrities that ones heard of) selfies and calling it their own. Yeahh I don't even know what to say about that...

One of my closer internet friend did it, got away with it for awhile, but someone found out and she just disappeared. But the thing about her was that she wasn't ONLY calling certain selfies as her own, but she also took the identity of the person in the photo and used the person's name as her own. So basically she was living her own lie. Can you believe how sad that is? This basically answers all your questions.

3. Fellangel Bichael May

What he said. Taking a selfie is not really the true purpose behind the real addiction. It could be. Some people really like to take pictures of themselves. I know a few that hordes pictures of themselves, but never post it. On the more common side, it's the want for attention and compliments. In today's world, there is a huge pressure and expectation on people's physical appearances. And don't give me the "inner beauty" nonsense. Does the social media really care on what a person "looks" on the inside?

People will go crazy for internet fame. It's the new media right now. If you're popular on the internet, it's a pretty big deal at that moment. Only to realize you need more...and more. Eventually, it leads to a painful cycle of always wanting that feeling of feeling famous. So you would take selfies of ANYTHING. From simply eating a simple meal to going somewhere exotic, that craving is always there.

4. Labrys King's Apprentice

Also just recently there's been a study about mobile phone addiction. Perhaps taking a selfie belongs in that specific category?

And yes, the desire for internet fame is so bad that theres people willing to steal other people's identity to fool others. I think they're called fakes? I dunno, but that's ****ing sad if you ask me.

5. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

From my personal experience, I wouldn't know about selfie addictions b/c I hate taking pictures; however, I do know ppl that r constantly taking pictures of themselves.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

People like to slap the word addiction onto everything but that isn't really how it works. If you were to talk about having a selfie addiction, well that could just be someone who has low self esteem and feels a need to post pictures of themselves onto social media websites to get attention or "fish" for compliments.

To put something like this into the same category of real addictions is kind of silly in my opinion.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

This. There's a difference between really liking something and being addicted.

I really like video games and have said I'm addicted to them, but I say that lightly, as I can still be interrupted to do other things, such as eat, go to the bathroom, etc. There was a story last year of a teenager who had fainted, I think, for being up three nights straight playing video games, and that's all he did. Like, if he had to go to the bathroom, he just ignored his body telling him that.