Should marijuana be legalized?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by The Fuk?, Nov 15, 2008.

?

Should weed be legal?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Yes, but only in some areas, like in amsterdam

11 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No

63 vote(s)
    52.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. water mage Kingdom Keeper

The only reason why California is legalizing marijuana is to hope to bring forth a revenue due to the poor economy. Personally I think it's another way for others to get high not caring about the medicial approach for the purpose of it to begin with. Others will abuse that privelege once it does become legal and then we will have more trouble than what we starrted with.

2. krayzie Lionhart

i dont know
    i think maybe it should be since people will find a way to get it
    but no would be better because people will get addicted and thats wen things get messed up
    but still cigars are addicteve and they are legal...
    i dont know

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

So because some abuse it and will continue to abuse it, we shouldn't legalize it?
    I'll admit we'd go through a rough patch for awhile, but the authorities would need to brutal when they catch people Driving under the influence, selling to minors, etc and eventually it'd be as regular as alcohol. Yes, alochol is still a problem with minors and drunk driving, but it'd be worse if alcohol was illegal.
    If you understand my point.

4. DeathKingApocalypse080808 Destiny Islands Resident

I say yes because then it would be easier to moniter, no illegal trade resulting in durg cartels making tons of money for weapons and stuff. Also, their would be taxes and seeing it is Californias #1 cash crop, the country would get lots of money .

5. Misty gimme kiss

Correct me if I'm wrong, but marijuana affects the dopamine levels in your body. With continued use it can completely wipe out the body's supply of it. For those who don't know, dopamine is essentially your 'happy hormone'. It's commonly known as burnout.

That's the stuff they feed us in school, so I'm not sure if it's true or one of those "scare you out of using it things". If it is true, I say no, don't legalize it, and even if it isn't true there's nothing good it can do to your body so why bother? If it's for medical reasons I have no problems, but just for recreation? No.

6. TheMuffinMan Banned

Consider your wrong correct, Cannabis does not affect Dopamine or any of the Risk/Reward chemicals in the brain such as norepinephrine, however in low doses has been shown to raise levels of Serotonin in a manner similar to anti-depressants but on a much smaller and temporary scale.

7. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Why should the legalize Marijuana? It's not like we're treating like it is already.
    Other then police and such, we practically brag that we smoke marijuana in schools, and such.
    There's not much to legalizing Marijuana.
    Wasn't it used as a relaxer in Hospitals? I'm sure if I'm correct.

8. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

You know, except for the massive boost in the ****** economy that we have, what with the increase in circulation of money and the new taxes going to the government, and all the less money spent on keeping potheads who did nothing else wrong in jail.

9. TheMuffinMan Banned

You realize that your reasoning here is making the point that the illegality of marijuana is senseless, and not the other way around.

10. i <3 poptarts Destiny Islands Resident

I think less people will do it if it's legal because I think a majority of people are only doing it because it's illegal...

11. Ah eff. Traverse Town Homebody

Let them legalize it. Let's see how many people still use it once it's legal. Maybe it would open people's eyes.

12. The Fuk? Dead

Not really. It is actually kind of a pain in the ass. I have many friend who smoke and I know none of them do it because it's "bad." It's just like alcohol except with different effects and less risk of health issues. It's takes only about 2% of the fun away if you make it legal.

13. Mirai King's Apprentice

Like so many people have said, (and been ignored) marijuana has killed no one on the face of the planet since its discovery.

Granted, I think it's a dumb habit, (not an addiction) but if someone wants to do it and not harm anyone in the process, I really don't give much of a flying flip.

Also, street crime will go down with its legality, as they will have less reason to fight and kill.

14. Joseki Traverse Town Homebody

I've met a lot of people who've smoked weed in my life, and a lot of people who drank alcohol. I'd trade their legalization in a second. People go out and drink and drive when they get smashed - along with other potentially violent activity, and just general unpleasantness. When people get high they just watch family guy and eat potatoe chips. I've never been drunk, high, smoked a cigaratte, anything (and I'm 20) but I can tell just by reaction that I'd much rather everyone be high than drunk, not close.

15. Styx That's me inside your head.

Actually, when those high people have to return home from their evening of watching Family Guy and eat potato chips, they need to drive too. And driving under the influence of pot can be hazardous all the same.
    Not to mention that when pot becomes legal, there's no more need to hide its use between the four walls of your house so chances are that people will bring/buy pot when they go out.

16. donipool Traverse Town Homebody

in soras room helping vexen out the closet
    i think pot should be legal and to be honest i used to smoke it if you have ever been sitting near somone who gets high in class alot of times you will see they have better grades than u do it used to help me and i had A's and B's now im barely making it through any of my classes besides theatre also i beleive if they legalize it our economy will increase. beside ciggerates cause cancer and alchohol causes liver problems i have never heard of marijuana causing either plus it does have proven medical uses.
    i also would like everyone to know only about 5% of smokers do it just because its illegal
    if it was legalized i beleive there would also be less deaths because nobody would buy it off the streets anymore. alot of murders aren`t over marijuana anyways its over stupid crap like crack, coke and meth.

17. childofturin Why?

Even though I had some of the highest grades in any of my classes, in classes filled with potheads who just liked to fuck around in class, cause it was "boring and worthless" (their own words)?

18. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

You could compare it to the Prostitution market.
    In countries where it is legal, the women are kept safe, clean, have checks, get paid and taken care of by their employer. Compared to the illegal countries where it does still occur, where the women are abused, underpaid, under valued and not cared about at all.
    It does seem that prostitution be legal has been better for the employees, and much better all over for everyone.

I take the smae theory to Marijauna being legal. Safe, controlled with rules implemented to allow for the best possible care. It needs trial runs in more countries to see if it will be effective.
    It will most certainely cut down crime and crime funding, which is a benefit indeed. I don't see what the problem would be.

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

[​IMG]

See this, kids, marijuana is very very bad for you

If you smoke pot then you won't get anywhere with your life because you'll be a lazy slob

Pic related, it's Micheal Phelps

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Even though I've smoked the majority of high school (and quite a big amount) and have had better test scores than most of my school's valedictorians?
    Smoking doesn't make those people fuck around in class, that's THEIR personality. Many things attribute to it, marijuana isn't the cause of that.
    I've never watched Family Guy high :p
    But Yes. I've driven high twice in my life. The first time, I wasn't far from home and it was incredibly late. So almost no traffic. But the only recollection I have of the drive is focusing on a truck's bright lights as I passed by.
    The second time, i got lost. When out of town around midnight and ended up in a town I've never been too. Barely made it home.
    I've ridden with people who have been high.
    My analysis?
    Stupid.
    Should never have done it.
    But the same can be sad for alcohol.
    Legalize within the privacy of one's own home.
    Yes, they'll still do it in public and put others in danger.
    THAT'S when they should be punished.
    Possession is a petty charge. If someone is driving with it in possession, but its put away, they're not driving and smoking.

Agreed. The ones who do it because it's legal are the stupid ones, posers if you will.
    It's gotten a bad reputation and most people won't let that go.
    The way I see it
    Marijuana = Alcohol/Tobacco - health dangers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.