Should marijuana be legalized?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by The Fuk?, Nov 15, 2008.

?

Should weed be legal?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Yes, but only in some areas, like in amsterdam

11 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No

63 vote(s)
    52.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

My point stands.

2. childofturin Why?

The point is, any test and any study can be skewed to provide the results the tester wants - even more so on the internet, where nothing has to be peer-reviewed. When I see an article in a respected journal - in print - then I might believe that pot is absolutely harmless. Until then, I'll go with what I've seen - pot tends to make people stupider. Whether it actually happens or not, I can't say for certain, but that is what I have observed. Everyone I've met who's smoked pot, I can't even stand to talk to. (No offense if I'm wrong, of course, and I actually hope I am - the potential taxes on pot look pretty nice)

3. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Oh hey man, remember way back when, you repped me for a good debate?

Good times, man.

Good times.

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

There are plenty of people in my direct entourage who openly admit to smoking pot and having tried something heavier than that with intelligence levels (and I don't mean "book smart") that I can't ever hope to achieve. No, I definitely don't support childofturin here.

Pedestrians give directions. People on the internet give links.

5. donipool Traverse Town Homebody

in soras room helping vexen out the closet
    cant give links because im on a wii

6. Oli Banned

Yes, it could really stimulate the economy and people can do what they want. Plus weed is not a gateway drug, peer pressure is. Only the weak will bend to their friends and start doing harder drugs. It is ultimately a person's choice whether they want to smoke weed or not and I think people should be given that choice... hence weed being legal in the first place.

7. The Fuk? Dead

Unfortunately, weakness is a common trait.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

The reason people claim it's a gateway drug is because the majority of hardcore drug users have used it before. The gateway theory is nothing but a casual explanation. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the US, so people who have used less popular drugs are extremely likely to have used marijuana in the past.
    Every college dropout has gone to college.
    Does that mean everyone who goes to college will drop out?

9. Oli Banned

That's what I am saying, that it is a theory and an explanation to what seems to be a very common case.
    An example being myself, I have never done weed but have experimented with other drugs once. I still think it should be legalized though, even though it wouldn't benefit me.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'm the other way. I've smoked weed, still do occasionally. In fact, I did so last night. It helped me sleep.
    However, I don't plan on doing any other hard core drugs.
    I want to try shrooms just one time. Or any other hallucinogenic, just to experience it because I've never understood how a hallucination works or feels.
    I plan on doing my next paper on the legalization of marijuana and so far, I've found more sources debunking the "facts" of how bad marijuana is than I have found support on keeping it illegal/why it's bad.

It's just another way society is ignorant. They believe "potheads" are good for nothings, when pot is barely a factor.

11. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Bottom line, it's just a choice people should be allowed to make themselves.

All I know, personally, is that people commit more crimes under the influence of alcohol than under the influence of weed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.