Should Swearing Be Allowed in School?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Shadow Keyblade Newbie, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Should Swearing be allowed in school

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. If you choose Yes I dont know what to say

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. If you choose No Your intelligent

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Trying to stop it will probably do nothing in the long run. I mean, they say it is against a rule, but that's where kids tend to learn all their swears in the first place.

If it wasn't a rule and instead the kids were simply encouraged, it might work a little better. Of course the opposite could be true, also.

2. childofturin Why?

Typically, when you want a communities thoughts through a poll, regardless of where it is - online, census, opinion poll, etc - you want to make it as objective and unbiased as possible, or you risk offending some of your respondents. Ironic jokes usually don't translate well into text, since we can't "read" tone of voice. In this case, a simple "yes" or "no" response will do. You also want to avoid hyperbole in your polls - for instance, saying "yes, (whatever) is F*KKEN AWESOME" and "No, (whatever) is the worst thing on earth". IF you're going to say that, give other choices, like "it's not bad" and/or "I don't really like it", etc.

3. The Grim Heaper Destiny Islands Resident

Considering most kids do it anyway, I'll vote yes.

Hell, one of the teachers in my school swears a whole lot. <_<

4. Keyblade_Smokey Traverse Town Homebody

I vote no but it doesnt matter much once you hit the college level. I found it rather refreshing when on of my professors said "Dont give me any sucking up bull $hit" but i dont think it should be allowed in High school or below. College because you are an adult (18 years old) and when you are in high school you technically arent, thats why everything is addressed to the parent/guardian of (insert name here). Once in college your parents cant see your grades without your consent.

5. childofturin Why?

Yea, but most seniors in high school are 18 or near 18 too, and many college students are not inherently more mature than high school students (just more... committed, or serious) so why not allow it, within limits? No swearing at the teachers or in class time, but in your own time, swear all you want.

6. Maka Albarn It's called love

Like mostly everyone is saying... College is probably the only place I would tolerate swearing... Call me weird, but it gives me like an icky feeling inside when somebody swears while talking to me. I mean... why swear if you know it's a bad thing? *shrugs shoulders* Anyways, when I see elementry kids swear, you know that it's not good for them to do so... So yeah, High school and below should not be allowed to swear. It kind of gives school a more... clean environment I guess? o.O

7. Explode Who?!

It's funny, I really don't see any problem with it in High School, even in a classroom environment. Middle School would be more awkward, because you still are pretty much children, but in High School they treat you like semi-adults. There's no doubt that you should respect your teachers and classmates, but it seems pretty unnecessary to need to censor yourself, when you aren't doing anything that's malicious. They're words, they can be used to increase the potency of your statements and positively relieve stress, or they can be used to attack someone. I think we need to censor curses only when they are used to express direct hatred or disrespect for a person in the room, or someone that the people in the room have a good chance of meeting.

I doubt that saying "Adolf Hitler was a b******, because *insert coherent argument here*" would make anyone cry XD We all know the words, and so I think we've lost sight of why they are being censored (amongst adults) in the first place. It's so people don't get offended, not because there are any adults that we need to protect from learning these swears.

Of course, they should be used VERY sparingly, but not forbade.

8. Dark Link Banned

couldn't agree more, I think it is bad in my opinion

9. Juicy Chaser

Eh, can you imagine the state of the classroom if it was filled with swearing kids? Not exactly an ideal learning environment :V

Im glad the rule is in place. Eh.. I dont know, if someone directs I swear word at me it really hurts, even though Im pretty used to it.

And it really irritates me to hear little 11 year olds fresh into high school saying "f*ck" and "bullsh*t" at every oppertunity they can. Jeez, I didnt swear until I was 13.

10. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I say yes, as long as its in moderation. I mean, not the F word, or b*stard, but some of the others I wouldn't have a problem with, as long as it wasn't meant in disrespect.

11. Keyblade_Smokey Traverse Town Homebody

Oh in your own time is your own business. I was strictly talking about in the class room environment. Should teachers be allowed to swear? I saw yes but within limits like everyone is saying. Not drop the F bomb every two seconds. What students and teachers do in their own time, outside of the class room is their own business.

12. Last of the Organization Twilight Town Denizen

I for one agree with the state the classroom and school has in place right now. Swearing in my opinion would be only acceptable in certain situations under certain circumstances, as well as some words being the only suitable choices in my eyes. I do not agree with the fact of just swearing for the sake of swearing and as others pointed out making it a common thing. Swearing is based on your maturity of how you use it not on a age/level of cool status.

13. water mage Kingdom Keeper

This is a nice topic for I'm very much against swearing. It doesn't prove anything except make the person appear to be a punk and its not nessessary to put your point across. I have known to swear on account of my younger brother and sister reciting the words like sailors, but I prefer not to. In schools, he sets a bad example and it causes more hatred which leads to conflicts and fights. The english language was developed for a reason and is not supposed to be abused that way, but people in schools do it anyway for its how they express themselves thinking it's cool and everything.

14. Sonic the Hedgehog The Blue dude is back!!

Yeah..I say it doesn't matter. People swear anyway,and it can't be stopped.And sometimes people need to express their feelings too.

15. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

As long as it isn't disrespectful to teachers and such. Expressing feelings doesn't seem to be encouraged in school, though.

16. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

The beauty about having language is being able to express how we feel in more than one way. Swearing is simply one of those ways. But there's a time and place. Stop crying because you had potty mouth in front of a teacher.

17. childofturin Why?

No need for rudeness. He was expressing his opinion, and under the laws of most free nations and the rules of this site, we can't attack him for it.

18. Xe54 Kingdom Keeper

No because school is a place of order and people go should there to learn. It would be ok to do it quietly on break or lunch but whats the point?

19. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

It's nice to have some freedom, and not be treated as eight year olds, unless you are an eight year old, ^^". Disrespecting some one is wrong, but as long as it falls within the lines, it shouldn't be a problem. Its not like we don't do it during lunch or in between class.

And above there, were you talking about me?

20. childofturin Why?

Exactly! I think that the proper time to teach kids about appropriateness of language is in (probably) middle school. Now, don't teach them what the words are (f*ck, sh*t, etc) or what they mean, but just say "now, I know you have all heard things that your parents say are bad (etc etc), here is where they should NEVER be used (etc etc)". Probably make it a little different, depending on age (most older kids have seen r or at least pg13 movies nowadays), but that basic idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.