Should Swearing Be Allowed in School?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Shadow Keyblade Newbie, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Should Swearing be allowed in school

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. If you choose Yes I dont know what to say

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. If you choose No Your intelligent

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Most kids younger then me have seen Rated R films around here, sad as it is. I mean, my little sister has heard the f word at least fifteen times this year alone, and she's ten. I also happen to know she swears like a sailor. But swearing when it isn't needed, or when its disrespectful, as I've pointed out, is wrong. Yay! Somebody agrees with me! :D :roll:

2. Senbonzakura Kageoshi Kingdom Keeper

exactly. ass a christian i know its wrong tto swear all the time but i do it when i truly mean what i say. but if you were to say it to a teacher they'd correct you8 in a heart beat.

3. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

The point of freedom of speech is that you may attack and others may attack you but neither party can try and suppress the other.

As for this, there is a time and a place. I just don't see how swearing in the classroom could be in any way productive.

4. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't think that swearing should be allowed in schools. In my opinion, swearing is just something that people with a small vocabulary do. I very rarely swear, and when I do, I've got a pretty good reason for doing so. BUT being suspended for swearing is going over
    a line. I understand that swearing is rude and upsetting to some people, but we DO have freedom of speech. In a school setting, I do believe that swearing is uncalled for. Though, I'll say it again, being suspended is just over-reacting. Then again, depending on the words used, and the severity of tone, it could be taken very seriously even if it was meant as a joke or just everyday language.

5. childofturin Why?

lol @ bolded text....

But in all seriousness, I know that was a typo, and I do agree with you. My mom, the most die-hard, traditional Christian I know, has sworn at me (or around me) several times, when the situation truly called for it. She even said something I did was "****ing stupid" once (I was lighting toilet paper on fire in the bathroom - I had it under control, but she didn't think so).

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

well kinda, but there is also common courtesy as well, it's VERY possible to criticize someone without being rude at the same time

that's how i feel too

7. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

umm...lol? Most parents I know, christian or not, swear at some point. Its a great let loose when your pissed at the world.

8. childofturin Why?

It was really fun. Totally worth it.

9. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

You're on the slow end of the irony curve, aren't you?

10. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

i don't think it should be allowed, but it does happen a lot of the time even if you don't mean for it to happen...:(

11. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

it depends what schools you are talking about... in elementary schools, sure, that kind of language should not be allowed because the children there do not understand what it means and should be learning how to focus anger into more appropriate words.

in middle school, some words should be allowed because children are getting older and should be able to choose how to express themselves, but also learn that what they say can offend others, so words should be chosen carefully.

in high school and beyond, only extreme swear words should be banned, since they offend almost anyone. outside of school, kids this age and higher will use whatever language they want because of the increasing freedoms they obtain. so... the choice should be made by individuals according to their age and those around them.

just saying "no swearing allowed" is a little restricting and unrealistic. :D

12. Cutsman Gummi Ship Junkie

If you swear too much in front of a Police Officer or someone in Law Enforcement you can be charged with Obscenity in Public or something to that effect. So If that is the case, why should it be allowed at all in schools? where young kids are? especially Elementary? I was Skateboarding with some of my friends and passed an Elementary School And I'll just Paraphrase what the kid said to me. And I'll also add he was coming out of an ELEMENTARY school with 2 GIRLS.

"Hey you F'in Skateboarder. Come over here!"

So I walked over and he said.

"Were you F'in lookin at my Girls?"

And I was like "No..."

He was like "Yeah you better Fin not be you Mother F'in peice of S****"

Oh man you guys have no idea how messed up that was. Not only cuz i was in schock that like an 8 year old was talking this way, but also cuz i wanted to beat the living crap outta him right in front of his "girls"

13. childofturin Why?

Maybe you should have. One of the biggest lessons that people need to learn about swearing is that doing it to the wrong people can have pretty severe (and painful) consequences. I learned that the hard way in high school - got beat up (not for the first time, but really badly) for insulting some football player or something. I never even saw his face. Just talked to him with my back turned. Ever since then, I've been careful about what I say and who I say it to.

14. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

The staff at my school know that we swear to an extent and do nothing about it. I wonder why this rule is even still in effect.

15. kitty_has_claws246 Traverse Town Homebody

I think that swearing shouldn't be allowed in school and should have a much more harsher punishment for swearing. School is meant to help students on how to live in the 'adult world'. I don't know if it would help, but I think it would be better if school's also taught students to swear a lot less.

But then again it would be hard to punish and basically an upward battle to stunt swearing. Ah well, I know that I respect people a lot more when they don't swear.

And TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees, I lol'd at your siggy so much...probably more then I should have. but it's so funny!!

16. childofturin Why?

How about teaching them when and why to swear, rather than just banning it altogether? If there's anything I know about schoolkids, it's this: Once something is made against the rules, they will do it even more. Maybe not all of them, but quite a few. And even more so with swearing, since it really has no effect on your body (instead of, say, drugs or smoking). Trust me, it would be better to give them some sort of responsibility than to just say "Nope, can't do it. Tough luck, kid".

17. kitty_has_claws246 Traverse Town Homebody

Swearing might not have a physical effect, but teaching kids to not swear would still be beneficial to them. If someone is trying to make a point about something and they swear they've hurt their side of the argument and just made themselves look dumber then they probably are.

And I know that my school has a very strict policy on swearing. Swear in front of a certain teacher once and you'd end up with detention or more. People still swear in my school but it's considerably less in comparison to other school's I've been to.

18. childofturin Why?

If they learn when to swear and when not to swear, they'll be better off. I swear almost constantly at my computer when it screws up on me, but in front of authorities, never. It's all a matter of restraint, and that's what they need to learn.

19. kitty_has_claws246 Traverse Town Homebody

Ok, I can understand that. Then, how would you teach them that swearing behind closed doors or as Freudian slips are ok as opposed to towards or infront of people or authority figures?
    That's the only part I get confused on.

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Well I "swear" (although I've never called it that, it's always been cussin) in front of some authorities like certain teachers or my boss at work depending on the situation.
    Words like
    Hell
    Damn
    Shit
    a$s
    I use all the time. If I'm just talking to my boss (not arguing) I don't restrain myself, if it's a teacher I'm particularly close to, I talk freely (mostly out of school)
    Those words shouldn't have any consequences at all
    even fuck if used in a state of quick anger (i.e. stubbing yr toe, dropping your lunch)

Other words as b!tch, motherfu<k, seem more intense and should harbor some consequence but nothing intense.
    Words that are racial slurs (the N-word, etc,), blasphemous to ANY religion (G-D) are the ones that kids should be punished for.

Adults seem to take almost any swear as an insult. To me, it's an intensifier. It just intensifies what my point to show how strongly I feel about something.
    If someone has been badmouthin me
    A: I'm gonna kick that idiot's butt!
    B: I'm gonna kick that lil fucker's a$s!
    Which one shows how serious/mad I really am?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.