Should Swearing Be Allowed in School?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Shadow Keyblade Newbie, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Should Swearing be allowed in school

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. If you choose Yes I dont know what to say

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. If you choose No Your intelligent

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Well actualy it mostly depends on the severity of the word, like most of my teachers will say Hell or damn most of the time, but the more hardcore words like s**t and sh** and f***** are kinda inappropriate....

2. Hayabusa Venomous

Excessive swearing is almost always an excuse for laziness and/or lack of proper knowledge of vocabulary. To ban swearing altogether would be a restriction of freedom though. Swearing should be used to express strong feelings about situations, but this use has been abused to the point of obscenity.

3. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Oh, such a lulzy word choice. Any way, I agree, but some lessons people need to learn for themselves. Also, as previously stated, teenagers do tend to do things more often when they're banned.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

Settle down. I'm lazy too >.>

5. fire mage Hollow Bastion Committee

It is hard to avoid and there is no escaping it unless you keep yourself out of contact from normal society. Like some people they use it in regard of how they are feeling during certain situations such as venting it out. While other people use it as a joking manner. Whatever how they use it jsut becareful how you use it. Sometimes it is a bad habit for whole people that use it excessively which could cause them to get in deep touble if they use it unnecessary. That should stop. Because if you don't you might end up hurting someone you care about.

6. childofturin Why?

Or, someone stronger than you could end up hurting you. Badly.

It's acceptable in certain circumstances, as I've said - at home (alone or with siblings), with friends, as an intensifier, etc; but it's NOT acceptable, IMO, at work, to authorities (teachers, bosses, ESPECIALLY police), to parents, etc.

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i really don't think that is true.

8. childofturin Why?

It happened to me. I cussed out a football player. Not the smartest thing Ive ever done.

9. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I don't think swearing should be allowed at all in elementary schools. Not like that's gonna change much anyways. I've heard 8 year-olds dropping F bombs.
    High schools are a different story. At my high school, if a teacher hears you say
    "shit" or something like that, most of them usually just give you a look that means "watch it". One of the VPs would give a warning.
    So I say no swearing in elementary schools, but ease up on the high schools.

10. demonchick25 Hollow Bastion Committee

Swearing should not be allowed in schools at all. It's disrespectful to teacher and staff members and just plain rude. I don't see why this is an issue.

11. childofturin Why?

Because students aren't always talking to teachers - what about in the hallways with friends, or at lunch, etc? Or even in the classrooms before class? Besides, if they limit swearing, what becomes of Free Speech?

12. demonchick25 Hollow Bastion Committee

there's a diffrence between free speech and be disrespectful to anyone, including other students.

13. childofturin Why?

There's also a difference between disrespect and goofing off/emphasizing words and phrases. Swearing does not have to be directed at anyone in particular.

14. Nuff' Said Banned

children need to be able to express themselves but i agree that it should not be allowed in elementary schools but jr. high and high school students should be because kids are going through the stages where they are developing mentally and by telling them that they cant express themselves tells them that they should keep their emotions locked up which could lead to another omaha mall or suicide incedent

15. kitty_has_claws246 Traverse Town Homebody

Swearing is used as a way to blow as steam and intensify things, but if you allow some swearing in schools then there will be a student who complains about getting in trouble when swearing to a teacher as opposed to another kid who swore when he got hit with a ball or something.

Making grey areas where students can get away with something will cause them to want to push the limit and see just how much they can get away with and won't work very well to teach them when to swear.

16. childofturin Why?

Kids are going to do that anyways. Kids will always push boundaries, with EVERYTHING. All banning swearing in schools is going to do is give kids a lot more stress and a lot more depression, because, lets face it, if you don't come from a strict or religious home, you are going to swear (most likely), and once you do, you are going to get detention or something, and that's going to make you feel stressed and make you feel bad. That's not something schoolkids need, on top of all the inane drama that goes on between kids anyways.

17. Nuff' Said Banned

the schools need to let the kids draw their own path with the freedom to express themselves by letting them do whatever they want as long as it doesnt interfere with the law. freedom of speech people. the only limitations are threats, and conspiring of doing something.

now seee what you made me do. you made me color code the main reason

18. EvilMan_89 Code Master

actually, the Constitution says that government won't limit freedom of speech. however, in individual places like schools, clubs, and such, they are free to set up their own limitations on speech. also, aside from freedom of speech, there is also common courtesy, it's not so much of the cursing that i personally mind, it's the fact that the people who curse doesn't care if it offends other people.

also, allowing cursing just because banning it would make people do it more isn't a good reason to allow it in my opinion. because, in all honesty, i really don't think it would make a difference for one. the cursing isn't really that big of a problem in high school and college but i think it shouldn't be allowed in younger schools. i believe most teens know when it is appropriate and when it is not to curse but it still shouldn't be allowed in classrooms. i have no problem with swearing in people's personal lives (which includes the hallways, and bench talk at P.E. IMO) but it isn't appropriate at school or work.

19. Cherry Pie Pwns Gummi Ship Junkie

It doesn't matter if it's allowed or not. People are gonna do it, and the teachers aren't gonna stop it. Especially if you're reading a book or something that cusses. Like when we read "To Kill a Mockingbird" We had to say things like hell, damn, and (So I don't get flamed for being a racist) the N word.

20. Nuff' Said Banned

cherry is right. the kids will curse anyway.

my adopted son called his teacher a b@@@@@@ right in front of him and the teacher didnt do anything. teachers are used to it. at least in southern illinois they are.

it also depends on the state because in the illinois constitution it clearly states that these rights such as freedom of speech apply to all ages even children. my 8th grade teacher said that when i was in jr. high

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.