Birth by Sleep Should Terra have become a Keyblade Master?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by ReverofEnola, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Should Terra have become a Keyblade Master?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2012.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

I just want your opinion on this since the dude was capable of defeating two Masters and was able to perform the Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony. Even though he is a bit a naive and can be easily deceived.

2. redhairedking Traverse Town Homebody

I would say no. I feel that being a master is about more than just physical strength. Terra was easily tricked by Xehanort and let darkness tempt his heart.

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Hmm, I don't know. It's neither a yes nor a no from me. If he did become a master, it would've been harder for Master Xehanort to deceive him. But he still was relying on darkness, so he still had much to learn.

4. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

I don't think Terra cares about that anymore. All he wants now is to find his friends and make Xehanort suffer.

5. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

Just because he relies on darkness is not a valid argument. After all darkness really isn't evil. Just look at how Riku uses it.

6. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

But in KH3D, Riku said that maybe he wasn't qualified to be a Keyblade master because of how he used the darkness.

7. Krowley Moderator

I'm fine with him failing since it helped move the plot along and bring the story where it is now

8. Misty gimme kiss

Riku uses it and, I like to think, has a control over it. I don't think Terra really has the same. Perhaps that's the difference.

9. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

But I am just asking if Terra should be a Master since in "Master Eraqus eyes" he wasn't considered one to Master Eraqus's own low opinion of darkness which helped him judge who should become a Master.

10. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

Just like Riku--I don't think Terra's fit out to be a keyblade master because he let the darkness take over his whole being. The keyblade master should be those who fight against darkness--not those who accept it.

11. Cherry Berry Chaser

Riku did become a Keyblade master. If you played DDS
    you would see that Yen Sid passes Riku as a Keyblade Master, with Sora failing. Riku does face his darkness, and you can clearly see development throughout the game. If you noticed as well, the X on both Riku's clothes earlier in the series, to Sora's later on in the game... You'd also notice that the Organization (or rather, MX) has now changed focus to getting Sora as their 13th member rather than Riku, as they had once originally planned.

12. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I think the reason why Terra didn't become a keyblade master was because he couldn't control the darkness unlike Riku who in the end could. Up til now he still can't keep the darkness in check, so I don't think he should be a keyblade master not yet at least.

13. ranger hewki Merlin's Housekeeper

In DDD it says Eraqus was going to make Terra a Keyblade Master but Master Xehnort changed his mind. So yes, Terra would have become a keyblade Master.[DOUBLEPOST=1356717296][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So what your saying is I cant become one?

14. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

Uh--what? I'm talking about Terra--not you. It's only a video game anyway.

15. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, that's a very one-sided opinion. You have to look at it from both Riku and Terra's points of view. They were tricked into giving into their darkness initially, though each of them tried to use it for good intentions in the end (Terra to help Ven and Aqua, and Riku to save Kairi and wake Sora up).

What Master Xehanort was talking about in Birth by Sleep was actually quite accurate: darkness and light exist in a delicate balance, and you can't just ignore one completely without messing things up for both sides. That's just the way it is.
    In reality, Riku was a better choice for Keyblade Master than Sora could ever be, and that's because he's learned to balance light and darkness in his heart while Sora has almost completely stuck to the light.

16. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think anyone argues that Terra is capable, but it's his struggles with the darkness that hold him back. The Riku comparison is a good one to make because
    he does pass the Mark of Mastery exam
    but Riku is slightly more developed than Terra. Yen Sid sees that Riku is able to wield the light and darkness in balance. Eraqus, however, is not so reassured when it comes to Terra. Master Xehanort's meddling did nothing to help Terra and whether Terra would have passed the Mark without it is anyone's guess, but I think Eraqus was right to have cause for concern.

Terra does prove that he can control his darkness throughout Birth by Sleep, I think, so I am inclined to say he deserves the title eventually.

17. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

How about Sora? Why doesn't he get to be a keyblade master also? I mean--he's not my favorite character--like Riku, but still. Sora fights against the darkness so I think he should become one.

18. Misty gimme kiss

This is a bit off-topic so if you want to have an in-depth discussion about this, feel free to post in the Dream Drop Distance section!

However,
    Yen Sid denied Sora for good reason, I believe. He probably would not have made it through Dream Drop Distance without Riku's help. I think he will pass the Mark eventually, but I don't mind that he failed initially.

19. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

MX can preach about Balance all he wants, but ultimately all he's done time and time again is justify Eraqus's dislike of Darkness.

20. Misty gimme kiss

Exactly, and that's what makes Riku such a key character.
    Riku passes the Mark of Mastery exam because he understands how to balance light and darkness.
    Terra, on the other hand, still struggles with the darkness inside of him. He hasn't struck a balance yet, at least, not in the eyes of Eraqus or Aqua. Terra's control of the darkness by the end of BBS is worth discussing, but he has not struck the true, ideal balance.

Sora, however
    is all light. He hasn't been exposed to fighting a darkness within him, which most certainly exists.

Master Xehanort uses demands for a "balance" to justify his takeover. I think he may have begun genuinely believing in bringing the world into balance, but by now he has lost sight of that and fallen completely into the darkness. Stand too close to fire and you'll get burnt.