Should Young People Get To Vote?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Amethyst Grave, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Younger kids aren't even exposed to a large majority of what the people in office work for. Lots of these aspects don't even affect the child, which is a major reason why they naturally won't care or know anything about who's running and what their campaigns are all about.

It's to be expected that those who will vote with more knowledge of the situation are the people of the working population. They're the ones paying the damn taxes, not 14 year old kids.

2. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Well I'm young, and can vote. I think what you wanted to get at was whether other not they should lower the voting age even more. I think it's fine where it is. That and a great majority of teenagers are stupid.

3. Mikuro Merlin's Housekeeper

As a young person (16), I would have to say no, we are just to bias to do that, well I know I am not, but I know LOTS and LOTS of people who go along with their parents, so... really theres no reason to, just wait till you the right age, cides theres a big amount of adults who don't vote.

4. Spike H E R O

Well,it depends on how young we're talking about.Don't forget,some kids are often immature and it's a pretty big decision to put on kids.And kids happen to make up a considerably high portion of the population.So I say no,18 is just right.

5. Mikuro Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree with you, also there are a bunch of confirmed studies that say the human brain isn't done developing till about 18-21 for most people, plus to think, if kids (16) were able to vote, we would have rappers and people as presidents, which would be funny, but marginal vote (populations votes) don't count for anything really, its the Electoral votes.

6. SplitOverload Chaser

Of course not. Young people tend to just go with the flow and don't have any reason of their own for who to vote. Not saying everyone's like that. Just most are.

7. Mikuro Merlin's Housekeeper

Yeh, a lot of them go with their parents or friends ideologies.

8. Repliku Chaser

I admire the younger people that did say the problems they see with some of their colleagues in school and as much as I do know some teens can be involved in things and care politically, the great majority are not. They have concerns enough and even they raised up critical issues that are prevalent. The 'popular' children often set the trends and do get the most pull in school and sway things to meet their agendas in the school votes. Other kids know it and see it's a set up system and so won't bother. If anything, I think that voting policies in 'schools' should be fixed more to get the interest of as many kids as possible instead of catering to the 'elite' so kids don't become jaded adults that won't vote later. Also, another thing to consider is though some kids would take it very seriously they are impressionable and will hear from parents and friends things but might not be inclined to check out things themselves as an adult can, because they simply won't know the terminology or where to look. Someone also mentioned that children really often don't have to pay taxes or do the things adults do that are free of their parents, so they won't see a view of what is going on fully and their vote is for something that in the end doesn't even affect them as much. 18 seems an appropriate age and I wouldn't change it though I have seen some teens that are younger and show a great maturity over some adults in their 30's I know. In the end, when I turned 18, it was cool because it was a thing I could do and participate in a world greater than school, and well it also meant school was finally over and I didn't have to deal with that life anymore. It's kind of like a rite of passage.

9. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I really don't mind not being able to vote- I prefer it that way.

10. N Hollow Bastion Committee

Well, no. Because some children are not like some others. Some children have the brains and the logic to choose which and which, but on the occasion where there is a child who only goes by what someone else says (i.e., such-and-such said President Bush is the best so such-and-such who thinks they're cool goes and votes President Bush), then voting would not be a good idea. I know that if you're influenced by a friend/family member you'll do what they say, because you look up to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.