So do Nobodies actually age?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by CloakedThunder, Jun 13, 2015.

1. CloakedThunder Destiny Islands Resident

I read some forums that suggest that they do because members such as Axel look older than there somebodies did and others that state that they don't. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

2. Graxe King's Apprentice

Considering that Zexion would have to have been still a child to early teenager when we he lost his heart, based on his appearance in Birth by Sleep, Nobodies should still age. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

3. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well we are never directly told (as far as I'm aware), and because of the multiple ways to interpret things and fill in the holes we don't really know for sure.

It is hard to say because we don't see them as Nobodies for very long. The big question is, when did they become Nobodies? Shortly after BBS? Just before KH1? Halfway inbetween? If you think it was earlier then, as Graxe mentioned, Nobodies would have to age for Zexion's apparent age to make sense (though you could counter argue that he might look older than he is because of growth-spurts or something). If it was close to the full 10 years after BBS then no additional aging needs to happen for their appearance to fit.

Though the question might be somewhat invalid. As Yensid puts it, a Nobody is "a spirit that goes on even as its body fades from existence" So lesser Nobodies certainly don't age, because they don't have a body to age with. But the Organization appears to have bodies. Are they holding the bodies until they fade away? Or are they also without a body, but simply taking on a form that mimics one? Again the answer to this changes things. Personally I'm inclined to believe that they don't have bodies. From minor details like Axel's teardrops, to major ones like Roxas looking like Ven instead of Sora, these greater Nobodies frequently don't look 100% like their human counterparts. But if they were using the body wholesale you would expect it to be completely identical. But even assuming I'm correct, that doesn't really tell us that they can't at least appear to age. Sure, without a body they can't actually age, but they might be able to change appearance still (progression of their self-image and such).

tl;dr: I have no freaking idea.

4. gersomvs Guest

Actually in the ending of RE:Coded I believe you had the scene in which Mickey and Yen Sid talked about Xehanort and how Xehanort's Heartless represented the heart of Master Xehanort whereas Xemnas formed the body. As such the defeat of the two would lead to the resurrection of the real Xehanort since his heart and body would be reunited.. This makes it sound like a nobody is a body without a heart. This is also made clear at the start of Kngdom Hearts II when Yen Sid explains what Nobodies are. He says that when a heartless is born the empty vessel (body) begins to act with a will of its own. I think its comparable to Terra's lingering will: it has no body, but it only has Terra's will enabling it to move. A Nobody is basically that. A shell that's lost its heart but retains its will.

But that's just a theory.....

;)

5. CloakedThunder Destiny Islands Resident

Thanks everyone, this really helped as those scenes in BBS confused me quite a bit about this, hopefully we get to see more about the nobodies past in future games

6. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm pretty sure they do, I remember seeing this scene below at 6:31 when Xehanort turned Braig into a nobody, and you can see Even and Ienzo on the floor already, and Ienzo is still a child. (Apologies for the bad quality clip, I didn't know where else to find it).

Not to mention Roxas in KH2 is the same height at KH2 Sora even though he was created from shorter Sora. Although he doesn't seem to change height over the course of Days, but that could just be because of only having the older character model and just using that throughout.

7. CloakedThunder Destiny Islands Resident

Ok thanks, I didn't actually remember much about that scene ( think I need to replay the game again). I actually never noticed before that KH2 Sora and Roxas were the same height

8. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

Namine got taller between CoM and KH2, so yes.

9. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Naminé is a special nobody as she is the only one made of "nothing" as Kairi still kept her body and heart without darkness, she is truly a non-existence, so maybe not everything that happens to her is universal. (but I also think they age).
    What if Sora trough CoM was actually only a "heart" ? He was a heartless and his body has gone to the void, even though he was purified by Kairi and he took his previous form back, it would be possible to it being actually a "Heart construct" because Ansem kept his looks as a Heartless even though his body was with Xemnas.

10. Nobodyslight Merlin's Housekeeper

In dream drop distance, namines character model has 2 versions; one as her short, then taller.

11. Misty gimme kiss

That's interesting, I've never seen or heard anything about this before. I've only watched the scenes from Dream Drop Distance once but I don't remember Naminé having a big presence -- do we know when the different models appear?

Still, I'm not sure if Dream Drop Distance can be evidence of Nobodies aging given that it doesn't take place in reality.

12. Plums Wakanda Forever

In the timeline, don't the apprentices get turned into Nobodies about a year after the events of BBS? If they do age, it'd explain why Ienzo ended up going through puberty, as well as explain how Axel & Sai'x went from scrawny teens to grown men, haha. Then again, considering how much Sora grew in just a year following COM, they could've just grown during that year before Nobodification (this is not a word but YOU GET ME), it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility. To be honest, with all the body sharing and multiple existences these characters have, using Willing Suspension of Disbelief to hand wave this ain't too big for me.

13. Nobodyslight Merlin's Housekeeper

Whenever she appears in the "records" you can click "Y" to change models. I'm fairly certain hers is there when she appears though

14. Elfdemon Merlin's Housekeeper

Nobodies most definitely age. Xemnas, Ienzo, Lea, Saix, and Namine all clearly aged as Nobodies. Nomura said that Nobodies don't age a long time ago, but he's obviously changed that. Or by "Nobodies don't age," he might've meant "Nobodies without hearts don't age." Like I said, the possible rule of needing a heart to age explains many things. This is one of them. Nobodies don't typically age, but many, if not all, of the Organization members grew hearts of their own. Which could explain why they aged.

Also, keep in mind that Nomura also stated that Nobodies don't have emotions. But, in reality, they can grow a heart, and therefore grow emotions. I think his "Nobodies can't age" statement is a statement similar to that.

Oh, and Nomura even stated himself a long time ago that Xemnas is in his 30s.

15. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I read this as "So do noodles actually age"

16. Waqtnhi Moogle Assistant

Thanks everyone, this really helped as those scenes in BBS confused me quite a bit about this, hopefully we get to see more about the nobodies past in future games
    hellodear.in

teatv.ltd

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022